Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

4 hours ago, Werewolf said:

Additional Microsoft software:
Remote Desktop Connection 7.0 (FREE, CS) (x86) (x64)
Backports features of RDC from Windows 7 to Windows Vista. Requires at least SP1 to be installed.

Hardware identification and temperature management:
SpeedFan (FREE, CS)
The latest version is 4.52. Support ongoing.

Office suites:
Ability Office ($$$, CS); Ability Office Professional ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 6. Uses the Scenic Ribbon.

Corel Office ($$$, CS)
Uses the Office 2007 Ribbon.

PDF viewers:
Corel PDF Fusion ($$$, CS)

Remoting:
Team Viewer 12 (FREE, CS)
Support ongoing as per system requirements. Free for personal use; business use requires purchase of license.

Screen recording software:
CamStudio (FREE, OS)
The latest version is 2.7.2, released on October 19, 2013.

ScreenToGif (FREE, OS)
Listed as compatible with Windows Vista, though requires .NET Framework 4.6.1. As a result, the program may not support Windows Vista for much longer. The latest version is 2.7. Uses a subpar implementation of the Ribbon.

Security:
Sandboxie (FREE, CS)
Support apparently ongoing; however, site lists both Windows XP and Windows Vista as "legacy operating systems," thus support may be terminated at any time.

Video/photo editing software:
ACDSee 17 ($$$, CS)
Last version to support Windows Vista as per system requirements.

ACDSee Pro 7 ($$$, CS)

ACDSee Video Studio ($$$, CS)

ACDSee Video Converter 4 ($$$, CS);  ACDSee Video Converter 4 Pro ($$$, CS)

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 ($$$, CS)

Thank you once again Werewolf for the very detailed and informative additions! Added 'em to the list as per usual :)

9 hours ago, sanszajnrege said:

I tried only one, but if you look at the files at Microsoft Catalog, they are the same for Vista/Server 2008, so yeah it has got files for both client and server.

You're right, if they delete the client files from cab inside the msu, our only hope is to switch tokens.dat to Server 2008, so it is nothing more than using Server 2008 (without MCE for example).

If they didn't remove the client files from updates for 8/2012, they shouldn't do that in Vista/2008. You know, Server 2008 gets only security updates, so it is not edition specific.

Apparently the applications are checking some licensing values. I'm not a hacker, so I can only guess, but there is a Kernel-ProductInfo entry in tokens.dat which specifies edition (e.g. 1=Ultimate, 7=ServerStandard).

We have to just wait, it's only few days remaining. ;)

3 hours ago, GTAGAME said:

Yeah i hope that the Server 2008 Security updates will work on Vista. I have a Server 2008 Standard key and i already used it as a Workstation, but some programs like Steam have problems with the builtin Web Browser which constantly shows the "..stopped working" error.

Speaking of that, I took a look at the update .MSU files for Powershell 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 and Powershell 2.0 for Windows Vista by extracting them with 7zip. I got two .CAB files for each update, along with an .XML file in each. Here's a screenshot of the .XML files from each update opened in Slimjet side-by-side for comparison: http://prntscr.com/er0kug

If you look closely, the build number specified for each OS is different. My guess is that Microsoft used this to differentiate between Client (WinVista) and Server (Win2k8) when releasing updates for each OS to prevent installation of Server-only updates on Client and vice versa. 

If this is also the case with security-only updates released for Server 2008 post April 2017, Server 2008 updates more than likely won't work under Vista and will require modification of the .MSU/.CAB files (assuming someone here knows how/is willing to do that...) and even then, I'd imagine it would be a huge pain in the neck to have to perform that for each individual update... Taking this information into account, the future of Windows Vista doesn't seem too bright. :unsure:

We can only hope...

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

5 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Speaking of that, I took a look at the update .MSU files for Powershell 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 and Powershell 2.0 for Windows Vista by extracting them with 7zip. I got two .CAB files for each update, along with an .XML file in each. Here's a screenshot of the .XML files from each update opened in Slimjet side-by-side for comparison: http://prntscr.com/er0kug

If you look closely, the build number specified for each OS is different. My guess is that Microsoft used this to differentiate between Client (WinVista) and Server (Win2k8) when releasing updates for each OS to prevent installation of Server-only updates on Client and vice versa. 

If this is also the case with security-only updates released for Server 2008 post April 2017, Server 2008 updates more than likely won't work under Vista and will require modification of the .MSU/.CAB files (assuming someone here knows how/is willing to do that...) and even then, I'd imagine it would be a huge pain in the neck to have to perform that for each individual update... Taking this information into account, the future of Windows Vista doesn't seem too bright. :unsure:

We can only hope...

Your best bet would be Abbodi1406 at mydigitallife. He was the one that made the script so Powershell 5.1 would install on Windows 8.0. I contacted him a few months ago, to get Powershell 3.0 on Vista, but he said it was not possible, because the individual packages were only Server 2008 compatible.

Regardless, he understands a ton about Windows Updates in general, and would probably help us out.

On 3/31/2017 at 10:05 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Thank you once again Werewolf for the very detailed and informative additions! Added 'em to the list as per usual :)

You are quite welcome. I hope that there are readers who benefit from them.

I have more for you!

XML Paper Specification Essentials Pack 1.2 (FREE, CS)
Provides the XPS Viewer EP program complete with a rich thumbnail viewing mode, as well as Explorer shell handlers and an iFilter for Windows Search. Compatible with Windows Vista, but Windows Server 2008 is not listed as being supported.

Lync 2010 ($$$, CS)
The successor to Office Communicator and the precursor to Skype for Business. Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 are supported. x86 and x64 trial versions are available.

IntelliPoint 8.2 (FREE, CS)
The latest version of IntelliPoint, which was succeeded by the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. Driver and software for Microsoft mice.

IntelliType Pro 8.2 (FREE, CS)
The latest version of IntelliType, which was succeeded by the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. Driver and software for Microsoft keyboards.

OneDrive (FREE, CS)
The official OneDrive client for Windows. The latest version is 17.3.6798.207. Requires Windows Vista SP2 with the Platform Update or Windows Server 2008 SP2 with the Platform Update. Support for at least Windows Vista will likely be terminated following April 11, 2017; however, it is not known if or when version 17.3.6798.207 will stop working.

Search Commands Add-In for Office 2007 and Office 2010 (FREE, CS)
Provides the ability to search for Ribbon commands from Excel, PowerPoint, and Word—in a manner similar to the "Tell Me" feature in Office 2016—from within Office 2007 and Office 2010. Windows Server 2008 is not listed as supported. The add-on, while available for download, is no longer being developed or supported by Microsoft.

Search Server 2010 ($$$, CS)
Supports Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2. A free Express version with reduced functionality is available.

SQL Server 2012 ($$$, CS)
The last version to support Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Requires Service Pack 2 for both operating systems. A free Express version with reduced functionality is available.

Speech Platform Runtime Languages 11 (FREE, CS)
Includes "Speech Recognition and Text-to-Speech Engines for Microsoft supported Languages." In addition to providing these updated components, it reportedly allows other Text-to-Speech voices to be used, potentially in earlier versions of Windows. Supports both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Disc burning or mounting software:
UltraISO ($$$, CS)
Remarkably supports not only Windows Vista, but Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and even the original release of Windows 98. The latest version is 9.6.6.3300. Support for Windows Vista will, more than likely, not end after April 11, 2017 because of the product's support for Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and Windows 98, two products that have unfortunately long been unsupported.

File management:
WinZip ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 21. Windows Vista is listed as being supported, so support is ongoing; however, this may not be the case after April 11, 2017. Uses the Scenic Ribbon.

WinZip Command Line (FREE, CS)
A command line interface for WinZip; free for users with a valid WinZip license. Supports version 17 or higher. Compatible with Windows Vista.

WinZip Courier ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 7. Enables users to zip and encrypt e-mail attachments with e-mail clients such as Microsoft Outlook 2010, share with cloud services, convert files, and more. Integrates with Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word. Microsoft Office 2010 is the minimum supported version. WinZip Courier supports Windows Vista.

WinZip Self-Extractor ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 4.0. Creates self-extracting ZIP files. Works with Windows Vista.

FTP clients:
SmartFTP ($$$, CS)
Additional versions with enhanced functionality are available for a price. Uses the Scenic Ribbon.

PDF viewers:
Nitro PDF Reader (FREE, CS)
The latest version is 5, which is compatible with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 SP1 as per release notes; however, it is not known if or when later versions will support Windows Vista after April 11, 2017. Installing it from the official source requires registration; however, mirror websites such as Softpedia do not require registration. Uses the Scenic Ribbon and the Backstage view interfaces, the latter of which was introduced in Microsoft Office 2010.

Nitro PDF Pro ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 10, which is compatible with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 SP1 as per release notes; however, it is not known if or when later versions will support Windows Vista after April 11, 2017. Uses the Scenic Ribbon and the Backstage view interfaces, the latter of which was introduced in Microsoft Office 2010.

Screen Recording & Capture software:
Fraps ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 3.5.99, which was released in 2013, so it is not known if or when a future version will be released or if it will support Windows Vista. While a free version is available, recording time is apparently limited to 30 seconds and a watermark is included in the recordings; the paid version removes these limitations. I am nevertheless happy to have it as another screen recording / capture software option for Windows Vista.

Third party system utilities:
Fences 2 ($$$, CS)
Listed as being compatible with Windows Vista. However, folder portals and pages functionality require Windows 7 or later.

ObjectDock 2 ($$$, CS)
Software that simulates the Dock in MacOS and provides other features. While Windows Vista is listed as being supported, support is apparently not ongoing, as most, if not all, of Stardock's other offerings do not support the operating system.

Edited by Werewolf
IntelliPoint and IntelliType

On 4/1/2017 at 6:33 PM, Werewolf said:

You are quite welcome. I hope that there are readers who benefit from them.

I have more for you!

XML Paper Specification Essentials Pack 1.2 (FREE, CS)
Provides the XPS Viewer EP program complete with a rich thumbnail viewing mode, as well as Explorer shell handlers and an iFilter for Windows Search. Compatible with Windows Vista, but Windows Server 2008 is not listed as being supported.

Lync 2010 ($$$, CS)
The successor to Office Communicator and the precursor to Skype for Business. Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 are supported. x86 and x64 trial versions are available.

IntelliPoint 8.2 (FREE, CS)
The latest version of IntelliPoint, which was succeeded by the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. Driver and software for Microsoft mice.

IntelliType Pro 8.2 (FREE, CS)
The latest version of IntelliType, which was succeeded by the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. Driver and software for Microsoft keyboards.

OneDrive (FREE, CS)
The official OneDrive client for Windows. The latest version is 17.3.6798.207. Requires Windows Vista SP2 with the Platform Update or Windows Server 2008 SP2 with the Platform Update. Support for at least Windows Vista will likely be terminated following April 11, 2017; however, it is not known if or when version 17.3.6798.207 will stop working.

Search Commands Add-In for Office 2007 and Office 2010 (FREE, CS)
Provides the ability to search for Ribbon commands from Excel, PowerPoint, and Word—in a manner similar to the "Tell Me" feature in Office 2016—from within Office 2007 and Office 2010. Windows Server 2008 is not listed as supported. The add-on, while available for download, is no longer being developed or supported by Microsoft.

Search Server 2010 ($$$, CS)
Supports Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2. A free Express version with reduced functionality is available.

SQL Server 2012 ($$$, CS)
The last version to support Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Requires Service Pack 2 for both operating systems. A free Express version with reduced functionality is available.

Speech Platform Runtime Languages 11 (FREE, CS)
Includes "Speech Recognition and Text-to-Speech Engines for Microsoft supported Languages." In addition to providing these updated components, it reportedly allows other Text-to-Speech voices to be used, potentially in earlier versions of Windows. Supports both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Disc burning or mounting software:
UltraISO ($$$, CS)
Remarkably supports not only Windows Vista, but Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and even the original release of Windows 98. The latest version is 9.6.6.3300. Support for Windows Vista will, more than likely, not end after April 11, 2017 because of the product's support for Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and Windows 98, two products that have unfortunately long been unsupported.

File management:
WinZip ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 21. Windows Vista is listed as being supported, so support is ongoing; however, this may not be the case after April 11, 2017. Uses the Scenic Ribbon.

WinZip Command Line (FREE, CS)
A command line interface for WinZip; free for users with a valid WinZip license. Supports version 17 or higher. Compatible with Windows Vista.

WinZip Courier ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 7. Enables users to zip and encrypt e-mail attachments with e-mail clients such as Microsoft Outlook 2010, share with cloud services, convert files, and more. Integrates with Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word. Microsoft Office 2010 is the minimum supported version. WinZip Courier supports Windows Vista.

WinZip Self-Extractor ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 4.0. Creates self-extracting ZIP files. Works with Windows Vista.

FTP clients:
SmartFTP ($$$, CS)
Additional versions with enhanced functionality are available for a price. Uses the Scenic Ribbon.

PDF viewers:
Nitro PDF Reader (FREE, CS)
The latest version is 5, which is compatible with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 SP1 as per release notes; however, it is not known if or when later versions will support Windows Vista after April 11, 2017. Installing it from the official source requires registration; however, mirror websites such as Softpedia do not require registration. Uses the Scenic Ribbon and the Backstage view interfaces, the latter of which was introduced in Microsoft Office 2010.

Nitro PDF Pro ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 10, which is compatible with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 SP1 as per release notes; however, it is not known if or when later versions will support Windows Vista after April 11, 2017. Uses the Scenic Ribbon and the Backstage view interfaces, the latter of which was introduced in Microsoft Office 2010.

Screen Recording & Capture software:
Fraps ($$$, CS)
The latest version is 3.5.99, which was released in 2013, so it is not known if or when a future version will be released or if it will support Windows Vista. While a free version is available, recording time is apparently limited to 30 seconds and a watermark is included in the recordings; the paid version removes these limitations. I am nevertheless happy to have it as another screen recording / capture software option for Windows Vista.

Third party system utilities:
Fences 2 ($$$, CS)
Listed as being compatible with Windows Vista. However, folder portals and pages functionality require Windows 7 or later.

ObjectDock 2 ($$$, CS)
Software that simulates the Dock in MacOS and provides other features. While Windows Vista is listed as being supported, support is apparently not ongoing, as most, if not all, of Stardock's other offerings do not support the operating system.

Goodness, the list is getting quite long now! Added those to the list, and as usual, thanks for the information.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

On 4/2/2017 at 8:16 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Goodness, the list is getting quite long now! Added those to the list, and as usual, thanks for the information.

Yes! Many of the products are still quite capable. I was pleasantly surprised that the more recent versions of applications with the Scenic Ribbon support Windows Vista. Among file managers, I am grateful for WinZip in particular.

Do you mind if additional Office add-ins from Microsoft are added to the list? There were a few more I had planned, but I was not certain how you would have felt about their inclusion.

7 hours ago, Werewolf said:

Yes! Many of the products are still quite capable. I was pleasantly surprised that the more recent versions of applications with the Scenic Ribbon support Windows Vista. Among file managers, I am grateful for WinZip in particular.

Do you mind if additional Office add-ins from Microsoft are added to the list? There were a few more I had planned, but I was not certain how you would have felt about their inclusion.

Sure, all additions are welcome as long as the software works with Windows Vista/2008 (and isn't malware obviously, lol).

4 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Sure, all additions are welcome as long as the software works with Windows Vista/2008 (and isn't malware obviously, lol).

Most modern virus need 7 and higher 

does newer Kodi work ?

On 1.04.2017 at 5:27 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

We can only hope...

You're right. I made a test with replaced tokens.dat with Server 2008 Std one. After that I tried to install Powershell 3.0 and it showed me: "This update is not applicable to your system".

So yes, if Microshit deletes the client files from update files we're out of luck. Probably the MSU has some integrity check or something like that and it would be impossible to trick it to install. Maybe it would be easier to edit some system files, but who would do it? ;)

I think that the Powershell 3.0 is the exception since it probably wasn't meant for Vista, that's why it has Server 2008 only settings. In my opinion security updates should have it all in right place - would it be affordable to them to change now the MSU structure just to screw 1% of Vista users? They even aren't doing anything to stop XP users from using POSReady updates and the XP userbase is still larger.

Looks like the tokens.dat change would be only useful to handle Server 2008 updates by Windows Update. And it's only a temporary solution, since as I said before, it changes components to the Server ones (it also enables Shutdown Event Tracker for example). So you know - change tokens.dat -> update the system -> restore original tokens.dat.

I'm under impression how the NT6+ systems are componentized and interchangeable each other. ;)

18 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Fair enough.

Calendar Printing Assistant for Outlook (FREE, CS)
Provides customization and printing options for Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010. Incompatible with the x64 version of Outlook 2010. Supports Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

Junk Mail Reporting Add-in for Microsoft Outlook (FREE, CS)
The add-in enables users to "easily report misclassified e-mail to Microsoft and its affiliates for analysis to help us improve the effectiveness of our e-mail protection technologies." The add-in is available as an x86 download for Office 2003, and as an x86 download or x64 download for Office 2007, Office 2010, Office 2013, and Office 2016. Supports Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and the initial release of Windows Server 2008. Office 2010 is the latest version to support both platforms.

Office File Validation Add-in for Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 and Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 (FREE, CS)
Backports the Office File Validation functionality introduced in Office 2010 to previous versions. Supports Windows Vista. Windows Server 2008 is not listed as being supported.

Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup (FREE, CS)
Periodically creates backups of Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2007 PST files. Compatible with Windows Vista and even Windows 98 Second Edition. Windows Server 2008 is not listed as compatible.

Windows NT Backup - Restore Utility (FREE, CS) (x86) (x64)
Allows users to restore backups created in Windows NT Backup. Compatible with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Edited by Werewolf

On 01/03/2017 at 7:16 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Sort of a late response, but thanks for the additions. Added them to the list.

Similarly to Autodesk AutoCAD 2013/2014, I'm wondering if the 2013 suite of applications that you mentioned will also run on Vista by running the software in Windows XP compatibility mode. I'm willing to bet that it would, but I'm not able to test that software as I don't own it.

No problem! :) 

I have recently downloaded and installed 3dsmax 2013 and while I don't have a Vista installation on hand the installer did say that Vista was a platform that it could install on. I can test this very soon but I think it's safe to say that it will install just fine along with the other 2013 applications.

3dsmax.PNG.bc9d826575c0149f902139b945195ba7.PNG

Found some new Programs that support Vista! :)

Lightworks v14 ($$$, FREE, CS)

Game development software: 

CryEngine V ($$$, FREE, OS)  Requires SP2

The CryEngine website says that as of CryEngine 5.3 you can only run the editor and game on Windows 7 and up and below it says that Vista SP1 isn't supported.  So, previous versions of CryEngine should run just fine and possibly 5.3 runs on Vista SP2 but I will have to test this. 

I was going to put Unity 5 on there but the Unity website says that Vista isn't supported but a couple of people have said that they are running Unity 5 on their Vista box. I will have to test this. 

On Τετάρτη, 2 Μάρτιος 2016 at 3:31 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.10.209.0 (FREE, CS) Will continue to receive definition updates for a limited time. An official end date for this has not yet been specified by Microsoft.

... Judging from this recent post, it would appear it's GAME OVER for MSE 4.10.209.0 on Vista SP2 currently; I couldn't tell myself, since I am running Kaspersky IS on this Vista SP2 x86 laptop.

FWIW, Windows Defender still functions properly at the time of writing:

WD.jpg.a050fb12ece50dca3ee94cb525ba3b9e.jpg

Updated definitions can be downloaded manually from Malware Protection Center, in the "Windows Defender in Windows 7 and Windows Vista" links; let's wait and see if/when that "Windows Vista" reference gets removed and whether the remaining "Windows Defender in Windows 7" links would yield files installable on Vista :unsure: ...

Edited by VistaLover
Fixed MSFN link

Thank you both for the additions! I will wait for you to test 3dsmax 2013 and Unity 5 before adding them to the list, just to be certain whether or not they do work on Vista.

As for Windows Defender, I must mention that the Vista/7 version of the software hasn't been very reputable for providing quality protection, so I'd recommend using a free, third party alternative, such as Avast! Free Edition or pretty much any of the (free) listings in the ONG section. However, Windows Defender is still a valid option, so it has been added to the list. Hopefully, I can find out more information about MSE, and whether or not the solution pointed out (in the post you linked) that XP users are currently using, will also work in Vista. As I figure things out, I'll update the list accordingly. 

Thanks again!

On 4/15/2017 at 3:00 PM, Alex21788 said:

No problem! :) 

I have recently downloaded and installed 3dsmax 2013 and while I don't have a Vista installation on hand the installer did say that Vista was a platform that it could install on. I can test this very soon but I think it's safe to say that it will install just fine along with the other 2013 applications.

3dsmax.PNG.bc9d826575c0149f902139b945195ba7.PNG

Found some new Programs that support Vista! :)

Lightworks v14 ($$$, FREE, CS)

Game development software: 

CryEngine V ($$$, FREE, OS)  Requires SP2

The CryEngine website says that as of CryEngine 5.3 you can only run the editor and game on Windows 7 and up and below it says that Vista SP1 isn't supported.  So, previous versions of CryEngine should run just fine and possibly 5.3 runs on Vista SP2 but I will have to test this. 

I was going to put Unity 5 on there but the Unity website says that Vista isn't supported but a couple of people have said that they are running Unity 5 on their Vista box. I will have to test this. 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:39 PM, VistaLover said:

... Judging from this recent post, it would appear it's GAME OVER for MSE 4.10.209.0 on Vista SP2 currently; I couldn't tell myself, since I am running Kaspersky IS on this Vista SP2 x86 laptop.

FWIW, Windows Defender still functions properly at the time of writing:

WD.jpg.a050fb12ece50dca3ee94cb525ba3b9e.jpg

Updated definitions can be downloaded manually from Malware Protection Center, in the "Windows Defender in Windows 7 and Windows Vista" links; let's wait and see if/when that "Windows Vista" reference gets removed and whether the remaining "Windows Defender in Windows 7" links would yield files installable on Vista :unsure: ...

17 hours ago, Stefan43 said:

With the release of Firefox 53 today, support for Windows XP and Windows Vista has ended. http://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-53-officially-drops-support-for-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-514975.shtml

I know it's already listed in the first post, but this post is just to mention it has happened today. :(

One thing is supported, the other thing is functioning. Somebody needs to test Firefox 53 on Vista and see if it really doesn't work on it.