Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

i would just like to know,what is the use of using palemoon and how can one watch videos on it eg.youtube.I did find the fix but, never really used palemoon because it couldnt play any videos and many addons didnt work on it.

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Sadly, I'm on 32bit Vista HP SP2, so can't test this myself - but I did download "Palemoon-Portable-27.3.0.win64.exe" and extracted it with 7-zip.

File msvcr120.dll that ships with it is on version 12.0.21005.1 (dig. sig. 20131005), which is already outdated, since MS has issued several updates to it; their "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable" package was on version 12.0.30501.0 (dig. sig. 20140501), while update KB3138367 installs version 12.0.40649.5 (dig. sig. 20160216).

But I think your issue with Palemoon x64 on Vista/WS2008 falls into what is described in Update for Visual C++ 2013 and Visual C++ Redistributable Package :

Vista/WS2008 do not support AVX state saving, hence (outdated) msvcr120.dll crashes...

Install KB3179560 (dig. sig. 20160707) from that page (I would suggest both x86 & x64 .exe files, English - US locale), delete msvcp120.dll & msvcr120.dll from the "Palemoon" directory and then reboot - palemoon.exe 64bit should be able to load the updated versions of these dlls from System32 - if not, do as advised by burd

Hope I've helped :rolleyes:

I tried your solution, and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the help. I shall now report this to the Pale Moon dev. :)

43 minutes ago, burd said:

i would just like to know,what is the use of using palemoon and how can one watch videos on it eg.youtube.I did find the fix but, never really used palemoon because it couldnt play any videos and many addons didnt work on it.

I personally don't use the browser. However, I do respect the fact that it still continues to receive major version updates on Windows Vista, as browsers of that nature are getting more and more difficult to come by. 

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

2 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I tried your solution, and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the help. I shall now report this to the Pale Moon dev. :)

I personally don't use the browser. However, I do respect the fact that it still continues to receive major version updates on Windows Vista, as browsers of that nature are getting more and more difficult to come by. 

Yes,i too love that fact that it supports vista,thats why i installed it and went through headaches of fixing the crash for it in the first place,but i cant load any videos or anything,so im wondering is there a specific way?

3 hours ago, burd said:

Yes,i too love that fact that it supports vista,thats why i installed it and went through headaches of fixing the crash for it in the first place,but i cant load any videos or anything,so im wondering is there a specific way?

I will have to report this issue on the PM forum. The issue seems to be exclusive to Vista, as I can play YouTube videos just fine with Pale Moon under Windows 8.

In other news, Moonchild said he would use updated DLLs in the next release of Pale Moon, so the issue should be fixed for Vista in the next update.

1 hour ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I will have to report this issue on the PM forum. The issue seems to be exclusive to Vista, as I can play YouTube videos just fine with Pale Moon under Windows 8.

In other news, Moonchild said he would use updated DLLs in the next release of Pale Moon, so the issue should be fixed for Vista in the next update.

Cool,Looking Forward to it.Also could you please lend the link of that where moonchild spoke about updated dlls. :)

Edited by burd

6 hours ago, burd said:

but i cant load any videos or anything,so im wondering is there a specific way?

... Whatever your video playback issues are with PaleMoon 27.3.0 x64 on Vista SP2 x64, they must be specific to that architecture :unsure:.

In the release notes to 27.3.0, it is stated that

Many things have changed in the media back-end, but please understand that some things are still a work in progress, and you may still encounter some html5 video playback issues with MSE.

On my environment, i.e. Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit with all post EOL MS updates, no Flash NPAPI installed, portable PaleMoon 27.3.0 (32bit), YouTube does play fine via their HTML5 player, serving DASH, VP9 encoded, streams: 

PM273.thumb.jpg.a01e436ceb991474bc1da3630c716725.jpg

Plus, when visiting youtubehtml5 I pass all six of those tests (white ticks inside blue squares).

If not already, go to Options -> Content -> Video and select all 3 "Enable" options:

VideoOpt.jpg.e9042cee13ae35fef3f8852e445ef942.jpg

I also have no problems playing back local MP3/M4A/MP4 files... :lol:

47 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Whatever your video playback issues are with PaleMoon 27.3.0 x64 on Vista SP2 x64, they must be specific to that architecture :unsure:.

In the release notes to 27.3.0, it is stated that

On my environment, i.e. Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit with all post EOL MS updates, no Flash NPAPI installed, portable PaleMoon 27.3.0 (32bit), YouTube does play fine via their HTML5 player, serving DASH, VP9 encoded, streams: 

PM273.thumb.jpg.a01e436ceb991474bc1da3630c716725.jpg

Plus, when visiting youtubehtml5 I pass all six of those tests (white ticks inside blue squares).

If not already, go to Options -> Content -> Video and select all 3 "Enable" options:

VideoOpt.jpg.e9042cee13ae35fef3f8852e445ef942.jpg

I also have no problems playing back local MP3/M4A/MP4 files... :lol:

Once again, your solution worked. "Enable MSE for WebM video" was all I needed to check, and now it works great. Thanks a ton, VistaLover.

2 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Once again, your solution worked. "Enable MSE for WebM video" was all I needed to check, and now it works great. Thanks a ton, VistaLover.

It doesnt work,but ill try enabling MSE for webM and inform you

Edit : Enabling MSE for WebM fixed the problem,but without it enabled videos wont play

Edited by burd

On Κυριακή, 25 Ιούνιος 2017 at 9:13 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

I tried your solution, and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the help.

You are welcome :D ... Just a small oversight on my part that I'd like to address: Inside the "Palemoon" directory resides another .dll related to MS VS2013, file vcomp120.dll, still on the old version 12.0.21005.1.

I advised deleting only files msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll (the latter is the one that appeared in your appcrash log) and according to your post that alone worked; however, just to be on the safe side, I would also advise deleting (outdated) vcomp120.dll, too; can you check for me, please?

As for the video playback issue of PM 27.3.0 x64, I followed your conversation with the developer here onwards, plus read the related GitHub issue; on my 32bit platform, I fail to duplicate your issues even when I deselect "Enable MSE for WebM video"; deselecting that GUI option sets in about:config

media.mediasource.webm.enabled;false

The following prefs are in their default state:

media.mediasource.enabled;true

media.mediasource.format-reader.mp4;true

media.mediasource.mp4.enabled;true

With the above prefs, in a fully updated Windows Vista SP2 32bit running PM 27.3.0 (32bit), Youtube are streaming via their HTML5 player DASH, avc1 (h264) encoded, MP4 streams:

YT_h264.thumb.jpg.291bdb00294d11d8350ec2b164b257d9.jpg

As posted previously, if I set media.mediasource.webm.enabled;true then YT prefer to serve their VP9 encoded WebM streams.

The PM developer said that he has no access currently to a Vista OS; the fact that their "new" MSE mp4 format reader works in Vista 32bit but not on Vista 64bit is probably something that needs to be communicated to him, for eventual fixes - AFAICT, WMF/MSE on Vista shouldn't behave differently depending on OS architecture :rolleyes:.

Some words on the browser (PM) itself:

I have always been a Mozilla Firefox person myself (since v2.0.0.x); a browser is a kind of app I always like to test, so I have tested PM several times in the past - as long as Fx was/is supported on Vista, I had no real reason to convert to PM. I will continue using Fx 52.x.x ESR as my main browser on Vista until, itself, is being EOL'd, but PM is an option I seriously consider after that time...

The cruel fact is that PM has simply now diverged too far from being a Fx/Gecko fork; many of the Fx addons I currently rely upon will simply not work on it; some have PM equivalents, others not; the whole PM ecosystem is now (with the Goanna 3.2 platform) significantly different to Fx and AMO; AMO treats PM 27.3.0 as Fx 27.9, despite PM having in its UA Firefox/45.9. Most 27+ Firefox addons are old and unsupported, newer versions of them use newer SDKs incompatible with PM. So a definite loss of some functionality with the eventual move to PM... :angry:. And news for a long-term Vista support isn't good either; the next platform (UXP) that will follow Goanna won't be targeting Vista... :(

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

You are welcome :D ... Just a small oversight on my part that I'd like to address: Inside the "Palemoon" directory resides another .dll related to MS VS2013, file vcomp120.dll, still on the old version 12.0.21005.1.

I advised deleting only files msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll (the latter is the one that appeared in your appcrash log) and according to your post that alone worked; however, just to be on the safe side, I would also advise deleting (outdated) vcomp120.dll, too; can you check for me, please?

As for the video playback issue of PM 27.3.0 x64, I followed your conversation with the developer here onwards, plus read the related GitHub issue; on my 32bit platform, I fail to duplicate your issues even when I deselect "Enable MSE for WebM video"; deselecting that GUI option sets in about:config

media.mediasource.webm.enabled;false

The following prefs are in their default state:

media.mediasource.enabled;true

media.mediasource.format-reader.mp4;true

media.mediasource.mp4.enabled;true

With the above prefs, in a fully updated Windows Vista SP2 32bit running PM 27.3.0 (32bit), Youtube are streaming via their HTML5 player DASH, avc1 (h264) encoded, MP4 streams:

YT_h264.thumb.jpg.291bdb00294d11d8350ec2b164b257d9.jpg

As posted previously, if I set media.mediasource.webm.enabled;true then YT prefer to serve their VP9 encoded WebM streams.

The PM developer said that he has no access currently to a Vista OS; the fact that their "new" MSE mp4 format reader works in Vista 32bit but not on Vista 64bit is probably something that needs to be communicated to him, for eventual fixes - AFAICT, WMF/MSE on Vista shouldn't behave differently depending on OS architecture :rolleyes:.

Some words on the browser (PM) itself:

I have always been a Mozilla Firefox person myself (since v2.0.0.x); a browser is a kind of app I always like to test, so I have tested PM several times in the past - as long as Fx was/is supported on Vista, I had no real reason to convert to PM. I will continue using Fx 52.x.x ESR as my main browser on Vista until, itself, is being EOL'd, but PM is an option I seriously consider after that time...

The cruel fact is that PM has simply now diverged too far from being a Fx/Gecko fork; many of the Fx addons I currently rely upon will simply not work on it; some have PM equivalents, others not; the whole PM ecosystem is now (with the Goanna 3.2 platform) significantly different to Fx and AMO; AMO treats PM 27.3.0 as Fx 27.9, despite PM having in its UA Firefox/45.9. Most 27+ Firefox addons are old and unsupported, newer versions of them use newer SDKs incompatible with PM. So a definite loss of some functionality with the eventual move to PM... :angry:. And news for a long-term Vista support isn't good either; the next platform (UXP) that will follow Goanna won't be targeting Vista... :(

Hmm,This Indeed is not looking good for vista,but apparently pm should be supported upto 2020 According to me and firefox will continue to support Vista and Xp uptil 2018 According to Wikipedia,What are the other options left in this case? These are one of the last browsers supporting vista if im not mistaken

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

Apparently, Waterfox and Cyberfox 52x both support Vista.  In both cases this should include x64 support.  Waterfox regular release post-52x have not been running on Vista however.

:(

Edit: Cyberfox v52.2 has removed Vista support.  It was removed after v52.0 (however the developer cites that even the x86 version does NOT work - yet Firefox v52x does - WTF???)

Edited by JodyT

2 hours ago, JodyT said:

Apparently, Waterfox and Cyberfox 52x both support Vista.  In both cases this should include x64 support.  Waterfox regular release post-52x have not been running on Vista however.

:(

Edit: Cyberfox v52.2 has removed Vista support.  It was removed after v52.0 (however the developer cites that even the x86 version does NOT work - yet Firefox v52x does - WTF???)

i was using waterfox 53.3.0 or something was working on my vista sp2 x64,until i clicked check for updates and updated to 54.0 which gave me kernel32 errors.