Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 1, 2017:

• Replaced "Multi-engine supported" 'Web browsers' subsection with "Independently-based" subsection (This was mainly done because there were more independently-based browsers than multi-engine browsers, and the one [and only] multi-engine browser listed was also independently-based. A separate multi-engine section may be added back in future as more browsers of that criteria are added to the list).
  • Fixed error pointed out by @jumper (Moved Qupzilla 1.8.9 from Firefox-based to independently-based subsection, since I originally thought the browser was based on Firefox. This turned out to be incorrect).
  • Added Global Offensive, Counter-Strike 1.6, Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Rocket League, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2, Serious Sam 2, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Don't Starve Together, Quake Live, Road Redemption, Chivalry Medieval Warfare, F.E.A.R 3, Killing Floor, Bioshock Infinite, One Late Night: Deadline, and Star Wars Republic Commando to "Games" section.
  • Updated "Logitech Gaming Software" listing to v8.94.104, as it is confirmed by @burd that this version (unofficially) works on Vista. 
  • Changed (ONG) "Epic browser" listing to (UNS) status, as the browser "officially" supports Windows 7 or later, but despite that, the latest version runs just fine in Vista.
Edited by 2008WindowsVista

6 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Shouldn't you limit yourself to games that work on Vista, that supposedly have Windows 7 as a minimum requirement? Seems a bit redundant to put games that state in the system requirements that Vista is OK.

Yes,i suggested the same,but i suppose its ok

38 minutes ago, burd said:

Yes,i suggested the same,but i suppose its ok

I don't recall ever seeing such a suggestion from you... In fact, you're the one that suggested more than half of the games that are listed there to begin with, no? I'm not trying to be rude, I just never remember seeing that suggestion prior to Greenhillmaniac posting it... :unsure:

Anyway, I will probably scan through the list of games again when I have access to a PC (I'm on the mobile site atm) and I'll remove any unnecessary entries. The goal of the "Games" section is to list the *last* versions of games for Windows Vista (including those that don't "officially" support it but still work with it - they're listed as UNS), and some entries that are listed may not meet that criteria (I haven't had access to a PC since adding them, so I haven't had time to research all of them). The earliest entries (such as COD: Black Ops 2) I did research, and found that the sequels didn't support Vista, so they were added to the list. 

Others (notably GTA V) I added because their sequels (whenever they are released) will more than likely not support (and maybe won't even work at all with) Windows Vista, however it isn't confirmed by the game developers yet. For example, GTA VI (whenever it is released) will be released outside of Vista's EOL, and as such, will more than likely require at least Windows 7 as a minimum, as most modern games do nowadays. 

Although, one could argue that it could be an (UNS) instance where the game works fine on Vista, despite not being "officially" supported on the OS. We'll just have to wait until the game is released, and I will update the list to reflect the information as it becomes available (lord willin' and the creeks don't rise...). :)

7 minutes ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I don't recall ever seeing such a suggestion from you... In fact, you're the one that suggested more than half of the games that are listed there to begin with, no? I'm not trying to be rude, I just never remember seeing that suggestion prior to Greenhillmaniac posting it... :unsure:

Anyway, I will probably scan through the list of games again when I have access to a PC (I'm on the mobile site atm) and I'll remove any unnecessary entries. The goal of the "Games" section is to list the *last* versions of games for Windows Vista (including those that don't "officially" support it but still work with it - they're listed as UNS), and some entries that are listed may not meet that criteria (I haven't had access to a PC since adding them, so I haven't had time to research all of them). The earliest entries (such as COD: Black Ops 2) I did research, and found that the sequels didn't support Vista, so they were added to the list. 

Others (notably GTA V) I added because their sequels (whenever they are released) will more than likely not support (and maybe won't even work at all with) Windows Vista, however it isn't confirmed by the game developers yet. For example, GTA VI (whenever it is released) will be released outside of Vista's EOL, and as such, will more than likely require at least Windows 7 as a minimum, as most modern games do nowadays. 

Although, one could argue that it could be an (UNS) instance where the game works fine on Vista, despite not being "officially" supported on the OS. We'll just have to wait until the game is released, and I will update the list to reflect the information as it becomes available (lord willin' and the creeks don't rise...). :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175262-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/?do=findComment&comment=1141054

Its ok to have all the games after all the topic of this post is "last versions of software for windows vista and windows server 2008" so let it be as it is.

Edited by burd

1 minute ago, burd said:

Ahhh okay, I remember that now. Thank you for pointing that out. 

Anyway, as I said, the "Games" section will include:

*Last versions of games for Vista (in the situation where the sequel(s) don't work),

*Games that don't *officially* support Vista, but work anyway (should be listed as UNS. The last *officially* supported release will be mentioned next to the UNS entry).

Does that seem good to everyone? If there's any more additions or suggestions for improving the list (or how it presents the information shown here), please let me know. I hope people are getting use of the list and are finding it easy to read and use- that's my goal. :)

1 minute ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Ahhh okay, I remember that now. Thank you for pointing that out. 

Anyway, as I said, the "Games" section will include:

*Last versions of games for Vista (in the situation where the sequel(s) don't work),

*Games that don't *officially* support Vista, but work anyway (should be listed as UNS. The last *officially* supported release will be mentioned next to the UNS entry).

Does that seem good to everyone? If there's any more additions or suggestions for improving the list (or how it presents the information shown here), please let me know. I hope people are getting use of the list and are finding it easy to read and use- that's my goal. :)

Yes,Ive Used It myself many times to check out stuff,its good.

• 2 weeks later...

Good lord this thread has really blown up since I were last active. It's great to see there are still people that care enough about Vista to assort through this all. Honestly a little surprised nothing like this has been pinned yet.

Kudos to the efforts, OP. Favorable OS or not, all software should be well documented for future reference.

Edited by 11ryanc

On 7/12/2017 at 11:11 PM, 11ryanc said:

Good lord this thread has really blown up since I were last active. It's great to see there are still people that care enough about Vista to assort through this all. Honestly a little surprised nothing like this has been pinned yet.

Kudos to the efforts, OP. Favorable OS or not, all software should be well documented for future reference.

Thanks for the kind words, Ryan. Nice to see you around again after so long.

I agree with your observation about pinning the list. I think this would make a good pinned topic for the Vista forum here, but I'll let the admins make that call. Some recent improvements I've made to the list (which I'm about to mention in the July 13 sum of changes) may make this a more pin-worthy topic than it was before. :)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 13, 2017:

• Removed "End of life" information as I found that unnecessary and not compatible with the title of this topic. I don't want this list to be a vehicle for Microsoft's OS lifecycle policy.
  • List entries are now sorted alphabetically. Sections and subsections will remain unsorted alphabetically, since they're already sorted by what I believe to be the most relevant.
  • Revamped the "Games" section; adding four new subsections: "Pre-Vista era", "Unofficially works on Vista", "Last official release to run on Vista (sequels do not support Vista)", and "Last official relase to run on Vista (sequels unlikely to support Vista)". Removed Quake Live and F.E.A.R 3, as there is unlikely to be a sequel to these games since they were released quite a long time ago.

21 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 13, 2017:

• Removed "End of life" information as I found that unnecessary and not compatible with the title of this topic. I don't want this list to be a vehicle for Microsoft's OS lifecycle policy.
  • List entries are now sorted alphabetically. Sections and subsections will remain unsorted alphabetically, since they're already sorted by what I believe to be the most relevant.
  • Revamped the "Games" section; adding four new subsections: "Pre-Vista era", "Unofficially works on Vista", "Last official release to run on Vista (sequels do not support Vista)", and "Last official relase to run on Vista (sequels unlikely to support Vista)". Removed Quake Live and F.E.A.R 3, as there is unlikely to be a sequel to these games since they were released quite a long time ago.

Good Work there, also i've found a method to get aero like windows 7 on Vista after a long time of searching,its quite simple actually.

Get Universal Theme Patcher

First Patch the x64 Files and then the x86 ones and reboot,Once that is done, Get Vista Visual Master and Open it,When Opened look for the "Theme Patch" Tab and click on it and look for the "Transparentize titlebar when maximize windows" and tick/check it and thats it , It May Show Some Error of Some Sort But it should still work and thats how i did it (Finally).

Some Examples Here:- http://imgur.com/a/Ywilp

You Might Find this Interesting to Add @2008WindowsVista

On 7/14/2017 at 9:38 PM, burd said:

Good Work there, also i've found a method to get aero like windows 7 on Vista after a long time of searching,its quite simple actually.

Get Universal Theme Patcher

First Patch the x64 Files and then the x86 ones and reboot,Once that is done, Get Vista Visual Master and Open it,When Opened look for the "Theme Patch" Tab and click on it and look for the "Transparentize titlebar when maximize windows" and tick/check it and thats it , It May Show Some Error of Some Sort But it should still work and thats how i did it (Finally).

Some Examples Here:- http://imgur.com/a/Ywilp

You Might Find this Interesting to Add @2008WindowsVista

Thanks for the addition and information. Added Universal Theme Patcher & Vista Visual Master to "Desktop Enhancement software" section. 

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 20, 2017:

• Added Universal Theme Patcher & Vista Visual Master to "Desktop Enhancement software" section.
  • Added link to a new video tutorial on how to resolve Windows Update's slow 'Check for updates' speed in Windows Vista (created by myself).
  • Rearranged some misalphabetized items in various sections.