Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

12 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

We REALLY need a KernelEx for Vista... I mean, it's in the same predicament as Windows 2000! Heck, I bet it would be easier to develop than what we have for Windows 2000, because Vista has most of the components 7 has (with the Platform Update and all).

I know. That would be amazing to have, but looking at Vista's poor reputation and low usage, I doubt anyone here would even care about doing it. Although I do have Windows 7 looking very much like Vista which is good, but it's not the same as the real deal.

• 1 month later...

On Tuesday, March 01, 2016 at 7:31 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Since there's a list like this for Windows 98 and 2000 already, I felt it would be appropriate to create one for Windows Vista as well as it approaches the EOL date and many popular programs continue to drop support for it.

AMD Drivers:

AMD Catalyst version 13.12 (later versions up to 15.6 Beta for Windows 7 can be modified to work on Vista. See Smeezekitty's "Omega on Vista" post for more details.)

Intel Drivers:

The sandy bridge platform is the last to officially support Vista. Ivy Bridge mostly supports Vista, however USB 3.0 drivers are unavailable. Limited Haswell support is available, as Z97 EVGA Motherboards have drivers for Vista. However, there is a known bug with Haswell and Vista that often causes Windows to not start up correctly. View this site for more details:

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304098-logon-process-initialization-failure-vista-ultimate-x64.html

The AMD Catalyst 15.6 beta package (or packages?) is no longer available from AMD.  I was able to acquire what I believe to be the AMD Catalyst 15.6 beta package.  The package, however, contains the display drivers, but does not contain the AMD motherboard chipset, southbridge, or storage controller drivers.

Is there an AMD Catalyst 15.6 beta package with the AMD motherboard chipset, southbridge, or storage controller drivers?  What packages should be used to install the AMD motherboard chipset, southbridge, and storage controller drivers on Windows Vista?

I'm not sure about 15.6, I have looked all over Google and cannot find it. However, I did manage to find 15.4 here which also works in Vista: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/amd-catalyst-15.4.1-beta.aspx

I would also ask on smeezekitty's "omega on Vista" thread, as someone there may have it (15.6) archived. 

As far as I know, Ivy Bridge-E supports Vista completely, as X79 boards have Vista drivers, due to them having to provide support for Sandy Bridge as well. Older Sandy chipsets for motherboards like H61 may have been updated to keep Ivy support, thus you will definitely get Vista drivers in them as well. But on newer chipsets released for both platforms like Z77, Windows 7 and above may be actually required (or XP too, but Vista can be out of the question).

3 hours ago, OneSerendipity said:

on newer chipsets released for both platforms like Z77, Windows 7 and above may be actually required (or XP too, but Vista can be out of the question).

Intel chipsets through Z87 and Intel C226 are officially supported by Intel for Windows Vista and Windows XP.

The last version of the Intel chipset driver installation utility for Windows XP is version 9.4.0.1027 which can be found:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23061
(Disregard operating system list specified on the page; it is erroneous.  View the Read Me file for correct operating system listing)

The Intel chipset configuration utility of version 9.4.0.1027, officially supports the following operating systems:

• Microsoft Windows 2000
  • Microsoft Windows XP
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
  • Microsoft Windows Vista
  • Microsoft Windows Vista x64
  • Microsoft Windows 7
  • Microsoft Windows 7 x64
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
  • Microsoft Windows 8
  • Microsoft Windows 8 x64
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012 x64
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 x64
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 x64

The 9.4.0.1027 version of the Intel chipset configuration utility is supposed to also support Windows Vista.  Later version of the Intel Chip Driver installation software do not support Windows XP and do not officially support Windows Vista, but they do Windows 7.  Perhaps the Windows 7 chipset driver INFs are also applicable to Windows Vista?  My understanding is that the Intel Chipset driver installation utilities do not actually install driver files on Windows; the driver files are included with the Windows or its updates.  The Intel Driver installation utility selects and configures the drivers and defines their parameters.

That´s not quite true. In fact, all chipsets later than Z68 and X79 have USB 3.0, and Intel never released USB 3.0 drivers for XP or Vista, so support for those chipsets is incomplete.

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

That´s not quite true. In fact, all chipsets later than Z68 and X79 have USB 3.0, and Intel never released USB 3.0 drivers for XP or Vista, so support for those chipsets is incomplete.

Apparently, Intel provides actual USB 3.0 drivers, but in USB driver specific packages.  The drivers are supposedly available for (given information from the Read Me files):

• Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Operating System
  • Windows Small Business Server 2008

Although, Windows Vista is not is officially supported, Windows Small Business Server 2008 (only available as x86-64 operating system) is given as supported.  My understanding about Windows Small Business Server 2008 is that it is based on Windows Server 2008, which shares are code-base with Windows Vista.  Perhaps the Intel USB 3.0 drivers may be installed on Windows Vista (at least the x84-64 version).  I do not have Windows Vista installed, myself, and it would be difficult for me to test this.

The latest Intel USB 3.0 driver package for Windows Small Business Server 2008 appears to be version 4.0.4.51:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22824

Edited by Ascii2

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 4:22 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

I'm not sure about 15.6, I have looked all over Google and cannot find it. However, I did manage to find 15.4 here which also works in Vista: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/amd-catalyst-15.4.1-beta.aspx

I would also ask on smeezekitty's "omega on Vista" thread, as someone there may have it (15.6) archived. 

The information regarding the AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Drivers package I was able to find is available:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150629000845/http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

The AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Drivers package downloads from AMD have apparently been made unavailable.

I download what appear to be the AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Drivers package from the links referenced in:
http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1243-amd-catalyst-156-beta/

The AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta driver package does not contain recent (since about year 2011) AMD motherboard chipset drivers.  I was wondering I the latest Windows 7 AMD chipset drivers should be used on Windows Vista or another version or versions.

3 hours ago, Ascii2 said:

Apparently, Intel provides actual USB 3.0 drivers, but in USB driver specific packages.  The drivers are supposedly available for (given information from the Read Me files):

• Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Operating System
  • Windows Small Business Server 2008

Although, Windows Vista is not is officially supported, Windows Small Business Server 2008 (only available as x86-64 operating system) is given as supported.  My understanding about Windows Small Business Server 2008 is that it is based on Windows Server 2008, which shares are code-base with Windows Vista.  Perhaps the Intel USB 3.0 drivers may be installed on Windows Vista (at least the x84-64 version).  I do not have Windows Vista installed, myself, and it would be difficult for me to test this.

The latest Intel USB 3.0 driver package for Windows Small Business Server 2008 appears to be version 4.0.4.51:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22824

The drivers will not work with Vista or Server 2008 (v6.0.6002, or Vista version). I attempted to install them a while back when I tested Vista on my Core i5 4460/ASUS H97M-E machine, and they refused to install. The .inf file also doesn't include an NT 6.0 section, only 6.1, indicating that Vista as a whole is not supported, only 7-based operating systems. Also, I attempted to change the version number in the .inf file, and it still wouldn't work. 
I was able to install chipset drivers, however, USB 3.0 and the onboard graphics drivers were unavailable for Vista. 

26 minutes ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

The drivers will not work with Vista or Server 2008 (v6.0.6002, or Vista version). I attempted to install them a while back when I tested Vista on my Core i5 4460/ASUS H97M-E machine, and they refused to install. The .inf file also doesn't include an NT 6.0 section, only 6.1, indicating that Vista as a whole is not supported, only 7-based operating systems. Also, I attempted to change the version number in the .inf file, and it still wouldn't work. 
I was able to install chipset drivers, however, USB 3.0 and the onboard graphics drivers were unavailable for Vista. 

I do note that the in somewhat, much earlier Intel USB 3.0 driver packages, Windows Small Business Server 2008 was not originally represented as supported, but Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 were.  Later versions of the Intel USB 3.0 driver were documented by Intel to support Windows Small Business Server 2008.

Thank you 2008WindowsVista for your report.  Did you try your test on the x86-64 version of Windows Vista?

It would seem that the driver's documentation might be erroneous with regards to Windows Small Business Server 2008 support or Windows Small Business Server 2008 may provide something different that allow it to be compatible.  If Windows Small Business Server 2008 is truly compatible, perhaps the changes or differences between Windows Vista and Windows Small Business Server 2008 can be applied to Windows Vista (then I would think the driver should install).

Edited by Ascii2

On 5/10/2016 at 11:20 PM, Ascii2 said:

I do note that the in somewhat, much earlier Intel USB 3.0 driver packages, Windows Small Business Server 2008 was not originally represented as supported, but Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 were.  Later versions of the Intel USB 3.0 driver were documented by Intel to support Windows Small Business Server 2008.

Thank you 2008WindowsVista for your report.  Did you try your test on the x86-64 version of Windows Vista?

It would seem that the driver's documentation might be erroneous with regards to Windows Small Business Server 2008 support or Windows Small Business Server 2008 may provide something different that allow it to be compatible.  If Windows Small Business Server 2008 is truly compatible, perhaps the changes or differences between Windows Vista and Windows Small Business Server 2008 can be applied to Windows Vista (then I would think the driver should install).

I tested on both Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 and Server 2008 Enterprise (v6.0.6002) and unfortunately, the driver refused to work on both OSes, so it's definitely geared towards Windows 7-based OSes, unless perhaps there are more differences between Windows SBS 2008 and Vista than we know about.
Although, when I was studying the .inf file, I only saw a section for NTAMD.6.1, indicating that the driver is meant to work on Windows 7 only, unless I overlooked something. 

1 hour ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I tested on both Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 and Server 2008 Enterprise (v6.0.6002) and unfortunately, the driver refused to work on both OSes, so it's definitely geared towards Windows 7-based OSes, unless perhaps there are more differences between Windows SBS 2008 and Vista than we know about.
Although, when I was studying the .inf file, I only saw a section for NTAMD.6.1, indicating that the driver is meant to work on Windows 7 only, unless I overlooked something. 

I do not believe that you overlooked something.  It rather appears that Intel failed to property write the driver to support Windows Small Business Server 2008.

18 minutes ago, Ascii2 said:

I do not believe that you overlooked something.  It rather appears that Intel failed to property write the driver to support Windows Small Business Server 2008.

Agreed. I've never used SBS 2008, but I'm sure it shares the same kernel and version number with Windows Vista, and I doubt that the drivers would work on it. I might test it when I have time since Microsoft offers a trial version for download just in case, but I doubt I'll have luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 7:06 AM, Flasche said:

Open Broadcaster Software: 0.657b -- ONG

Requires Vista SP2

Ah yes, can't believe I forgot that one since I used it on Vista quite a bit myself.

Added to the list.