Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On 5/11/2016 at 5:53 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

I tested on both Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 and Server 2008 Enterprise (v6.0.6002) and unfortunately, the driver refused to work on both OSes, so it's definitely geared towards Windows 7-based OSes, unless perhaps there are more differences between Windows SBS 2008 and Vista than we know about.
Although, when I was studying the .inf file, I only saw a section for NTAMD.6.1, indicating that the driver is meant to work on Windows 7 only, unless I overlooked something. 

Is there a way to modify the file to work on Vista? The same thing can be done with Windows 2000 only wireless adapters to Windows 9x IF there are no missing dependencies! (And those two use different kernels!)

According to Dibya there are 20 or so less files in Vista than in 7, there maybe a good chance it would work without the OS blocker

On June 10, 2016 at 2:01 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Is there a way to modify the file to work on Vista? The same thing can be done with Windows 2000 only wireless adapters to Windows 9x IF there are no missing dependencies! (And those two use different kernels!)

According to Dibya there are 20 or so less files in Vista than in 7, there maybe a good chance it would work without the OS blocker

I have attempted this before by simply changing any reference to Windows NT 6.1 (Win7) to 6.0 (Vista) in the .inf file. With Ivy Bridge, this method usually works. But with Haswell, I get varying errors when attempting to install the driver. The one I recall the most was Code 39. Unless someone who has the knowledge is willing to find out what dependencies are missing and is willing to add them somehow, Haswell's Vista support will remain incomplete. It isn't worth the trouble of using Vista on haswell anyway due to the aforementioned bugs.

• 1 month later...

GIMP 2.8.18 has been released. However, without any tweaks, the latest version of GIMP will not run on Windows Vista.

To get GIMP 2.8.18 running on Windows Vista and overcome these restrictions.

1. Right click your mouse and click Properties.

2. Select Compatibility tab.

3. In the Compatibility mode, select Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and press OK.

I'm wondering which entry points for GIMP exist in Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1, but NOT in Windows Vista. :(

Edited by ppgrainbow
I reinstalled GIMP 2.8.18 on Windows Vista and in the Setup, I received this error, "The parameter is incorrect, ClassID: {00021401-0000-000-C000-000000000046]. Once I click OK, the Setup is finished! :)

9 hours ago, ppgrainbow said:

GIMP 2.8.18 has been released. However, without any tweaks, the latest version of GIMP will not run on Windows Vista.

3. In the Compatibility mode, select Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and press OK.

I'm wondering which entry points for GIMP exist in Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1, but NOT in Windows Vista. :(

What exactly happened when you tried running the installer on Vista w/o compatibility mode? I am testing this right now as I have a VM of Windows Vista x64 available. If I experience these symptoms, I will include detailed information about it in the list. Perhaps this version just broke Vista compatibility and will be fixed in an update. 

On 7/18/2016 at 10:51 AM, ppgrainbow said:

Try using this instead! http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1925971.html
Direct Download: Here

Try fooling the application into thinking you're using Windows XP or 7 completely with this! (Thank you Dibya!)
In my experience using compatibility made some cases worse for me on Windows 7 if I remember correctly (Installing old games like Theme Hospital) 

Haven't tested it on an OS other than Vista 2000, but it should work!
IMPORTANT! SET BACK OS BACK TO VISTA OTHERWISE WINDOWS WON'T BE ABLE TO BOOT PROPERLY! THE BOOTER WILL BE CONFUSED!!!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

On 7/18/2016 at 1:51 PM, ppgrainbow said:

I just tested GIMP 2.8.18 on Windows Vista, and it worked with zero issues. This installation of Vista is fully up to date, SP2 and the Platform Update and Supplement included. Have you updated your Vista install? Perhaps GIMP relies on updates to Vista in order to run properly. I didn't need to set any compatibility modes or anything, the installation ran normally without me having to do anything out of the ordinary. Your installer might also be faulty, and I'd suggest redownloading it and trying again. If it still doesn't work, and if your Vista system is up to date, you may need to reinstall Windows Vista.

Screenshot of the latest GIMP working fine on Vista

On 7/18/2016 at 11:49 PM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Try using this instead! http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1925971.html
Direct Download: Here

Try fooling the application into thinking you're using Windows XP or 7 completely with this! (Thank you Dibya!)
In my experience using compatibility made some cases worse for me on Windows 7 if I remember correctly (Installing old games like Theme Hospital) 

Haven't tested it on an OS other than Vista, but it should work!
IMPORTANT! SET BACK OS BACK TO VISTA OTHERWISE WINDOWS WON'T BE ABLE TO BOOT PROPERLY! THE BOOTER WILL BE CONFUSED!!!

I'd like to learn more about this tool. How exactly does it work? I ran it and set the OS to Windows 7 SP1, but nothing happened. It also came with a .reg file, can you tell me exactly how this tool works and how to use it? It could come in handy in making new software install on Vista by overcoming OS blocks, if I'm understanding the purpose of this tool correctly. Thanks.

3 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I just tested GIMP 2.8.18 on Windows Vista, and it worked with zero issues. This installation of Vista is fully up to date, SP2 and the Platform Update and Supplement included. Have you updated your Vista install? Perhaps GIMP relies on updates to Vista in order to run properly. I didn't need to set any compatibility modes or anything, the installation ran normally without me having to do anything out of the ordinary. Your installer might also be faulty, and I'd suggest redownloading it and trying again. If it still doesn't work, and if your Vista system is up to date, you may need to reinstall Windows Vista.

Screenshot of the latest GIMP working fine on Vista

I'd like to learn more about this tool. How exactly does it work? I ran it and set the OS to Windows 7 SP1, but nothing happened. It also came with a .reg file, can you tell me exactly how this tool works and how to use it? It could come in handy in making new software install on Vista by overcoming OS blocks, if I'm understanding the purpose of this tool correctly. Thanks.

The tool changes the Windows Registry which fools software into thinking its running on the selected OS

How to use:
NNN4NT5.cab>NNN4NT5>Then select a destination for the file (I prefer desktop for convenience unless you prefer somewhere else)>Open the exe file and change registry!
Warning: Set the registry back to Vista before turning off! Otherwise Windows won't boot properly!

On 7/20/2016 at 3:59 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

The tool changes the Windows Registry which fools software into thinking its running on the selected OS

How to use:
NNN4NT5.cab>NNN4NT5>Then select a destination for the file (I prefer desktop for convenience unless you prefer somewhere else)>Open the exe file and change registry!
Warning: Set the registry back to Vista before turning off! Otherwise Windows won't boot properly!

I know this is late, but I couldn't get it to work, unfortunately. Even running the application as an admin, after setting it to the desired OS, it just simply did nothing on Vista. I guess it was intended solely for use on NT 5.x., hence the name. 

Also, I thought I should give this thread a bit of a bump, as I've updated it to include quite a bit more useful information that may be of some use to some users, and this thread is quickly getting buried due to inactivity. As more and more applications drop support for Windows Vista, a lot of system admins and IT pros that still have to service Vista systems or even just enthusiasts that are interested in using Vista may find this thread useful (and yes, believe it or not, they're still out there :)). It is also worth noting that a lot of this information is also applicable to Windows XP, since a large number of developers dropped XP and Vista support simultaneously. Also, since Server 2008 is essentially the same OS as Vista, I've added that to the list, so anyone looking to run that OS should also find some use in this thread. 

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

@smeezekitty Sorry to bother you about this yet again, but Adobe Reader DC will no longer run on Windows Vista as of somewhere around v.2015.007.20033, as it is looking for GetThreadErrorMode and SetThreadErrorMode, which obviously it can't find since these functions are exclusive to Windows 7. Would it be possible for you to stub these calls in your kernel32.dll wrapper? 

Thanks a ton for the work you've done so far for Vista, it's really appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Nightly version of Firefox 53, build 20161119xxxxxx+ will no longer start on Windows XP/Server 2003 or Vista since it now requires AVRT.dll from Windows 7.

Apparently, without any unofficial fixes, the last good build 20161118030222 is the last to work on these OSes. Infact, Nightly builds of Firefox 53 through 20161118030222 will not work correctly, if not at all.

On 11/20/2016 at 4:37 AM, ppgrainbow said:

The latest Nightly version of Firefox 53, build 20161119xxxxxx+ will no longer start on Windows XP/Server 2003 or Vista since it now requires AVRT.dll from Windows 7.

Apparently, without any unofficial fixes, the last good build 20161118030222 is the last to work on these OSes. Infact, Nightly builds of Firefox 53 through 20161118030222 will not work correctly, if not at all.

From my testing, Firefox 53 Nightly build 2016-11-21 works perfectly fine in Windows Vista... how long this will continue, I don't know. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, but here it is... Didn't need to copy over any DLLs or anything, as Windows Vista should already include AVRT.dll, according to MSDN: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681975(v=vs.85).aspx (see minimum supported client and DLL in the chart at the bottom of the page)

Screenshot_80.png