Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On November 28, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Flasche said:

I'm surprised that ClamWin hasn't been added to this list yet. I guess I'll be doing the burden then :P. The latest version is 0.99.1

http://www.clamwin.com/

Thank you for reminding me of Clamwin. I totally forgot about it. Added to the list in addition to a few other AV programs I forgot to add (I have been neglecting this section since browser compatibilty has been shifting more than anything-- I apologize).

Please, if anyone sees anything else I overlooked or may not be aware of that is still supporting or has dropped support for Vista, feel free to let me know. Unfortunately, the ONG section for Vista is slowly getting shorter as the EOL date gets closer, so any additions are welcome. 

Off the top of my mind I can think of Blender and Java which have yet to be added. Blender has vista listed on their system requirements, and Java support for Vista is ongoing (though it will probably end shortly after EOL). Unfortunately I won't be able to help much with testing since my only Vista machine is currently out of commission.

4 hours ago, Flasche said:

Off the top of my mind I can think of Blender and Java which have yet to be added. Blender has vista listed on their system requirements, and Java support for Vista is ongoing (though it will probably end shortly after EOL). Unfortunately I won't be able to help much with testing since my only Vista machine is currently out of commission.

Added those to the list, thanks.
Well, I decided to somewhat overhaul this list, and I have done research and testing and have added quite a bit more software to the list, especially in the ONG section, and I cleaned up the layout a bit. Similarly to the LVSFW 98 and 2000 lists, this list now specifies whether the software is paid or free, and open or closed source. If you ask me, this is packed with much more information compared to before, and the layout is much more clear. 
As for testing, I have virtual machines and one PC still running Vista, so leave it to me-- although if you want to and are able test something, that's fine too! 
Hopefully, Windows Vista users/enthusiasts/system admins can get better use out of this list compared to before. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JodyT said:

Trying to find out if things will be getting iffy in Moonchild land:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14182&p=102517#p102517

I already asked them about Vista support back in January of last year, and they told me that they found no reason to stop supporting Windows Vista, since it was basically no different from supporting Windows 7, which seems to be their favorite OS.

Here's the link to that thread: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10680&p=74587&hilit=Windows+Vista+support#p74587

Hopefully, they'll continue to support Windows Vista until perhaps 2020, but we'll see. 

8 hours ago, JodyT said:

Don't even need to look 2008WindowsVista, I remember it well.  It seems the installer script has been fixed so next release will work.

:)

Glad too know they are going to fix it

On 1/1/2017 at 5:42 PM, JodyT said:

Don't even need to look 2008WindowsVista, I remember it well.  It seems the installer script has been fixed so next release will work.

:)

Sorry, I didn't know if you had noticed it or not, lol

Glad to hear that Moonchild is at least making an effort to keep Vista support going though. Flashpeak tried with Slimjet (and Slimjet 12 does run under Vista as a result of the rerouting/disabling a lot of APIs performed by Slimjet devs that were introduced in Chromium 53.x that caused Vista compatibility to break), but the head developer informed me via their Facebook page that Slimjet 13+ would not be tested/made to work on Vista, since Chromium, with each update, just keeps on requiring more and more dependencies that aren't in Vista, so Pale Moon, SeaMonkey and K-meleon will soon become the only options for Vista users, if you don't count Slimjet 10/Opera 36/Firefox 52 ESR (security updates but no new features).

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

3 hours ago, JodyT said:

No apolgies needed.  I just recall the post that's all.  Let's hope Vista compatibility doesn't break in Pale Moon.  :).  Of SeaMonkey and Firefox ESR are x86 options.  As it stands, Pale Moon is the only 64-bit option.

Well, we also have Waterfox, but it's likely to stop supporting Vista when Mozilla does, since the browser is essentially a Firefox clone. Cyberfox 64 bit also works on Vista albeit not officially supported, but at least the developers were generous enough to still allow installation on Vista.

I feel like Chrome and Firefox 64 bit would've been able to run on Vista, but Google and Mozilla were too stingy to support it, IMO.

It seems the less corporate developers are always more open to stretching OS support for a longer period. Especially if that program is open source. Pale Moon is my favorite browser, and has been for years. Hopefully Moonchild will be open to keeping Vista support for a while. He himself uses 7, I believe. Made quite a few negative remarks about Windows 10 before. Just look at the "The Windows 10 mega-thread!". Firefox is just a hot mess. Almost reminds me of the decline of Opera.

I applaud Slimjet for trying though. It's my secondary browser for whenever a site isn't too PM friendly.

(using win7 myself since i'm on haswell)