Windows 98 Won't shutdown just restarts

JaKSLaP

Hey guys,

I am having heaps on issues getting Windows 98 up and running properly. The issue I am facing now is that the system.won't shutdown or restart in ms Dos, it restarts the entire machine.

I recently formated the machine because I had an issue were the computer stopped shutdown or restarting in just hang on "Windows is now restarting" I still haven't installed the onboard VGA card and monitor because I wanted to make a clone of the HDD before installing my sound card and Video card. Can someone please explain why I am having these shutdown issues

My system

Gigabyte GA-8I865GM-775

512mb RAM

120gb HDD

Usually this is a result of a later model NVIDIA graphics card being installed, but if you haven't installed one or the drivers yet, then I'd suggest looking at making sure your system has the proper updated files since Windows 98 SE had shutdown issues that were addressed by Microsoft themselves.

Have you ever applied this?

Usually this is a result of a later model NVIDIA graphics card being installed, but if you haven't installed one or the drivers yet, then I'd suggest looking at making sure your system has the proper updated files since Windows 98 SE had shutdown issues that were addressed by Microsoft themselves.

Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/239887

Also, take a look here if you have never done

Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/238096

Thanks i will give it a go when i get home from work, i tried that supplement before formatting but when prompted to restart it freezes "Windows is now shutting down."

i try and run the update again, also is there an Official service pack for Windows 98SE

No, there's no such thing as an Official Service Pack for either Win98SE or WindowsME.

Only Win95RTM had an Official Service Pack (one only) and subsequent version were OEM-Only.

That's why we built Unofficial ones and AutoPatchers. ;)

You must be really young (?) to have not known that. :unsure:

HTH

Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/238096

Even with that, sometimes Windows 98 still hangs on shutdown at times, this is like I said really true if you have an NVIDIA card but our awesome expert Rloew posted a fix for it here on MSFN. I'm not sure if he has an auto patch for it but I do know the fix he posted involves just a slight bit of hex editing which I'm really good at. What's funny with my recent machine that I built, usually Windows 98 would just hang at shutdown but this one would actually set off the system speaker and it would just continue to beep until it was shut off manually, and I don't mean just beep beep beep, it was beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, almost like if you held a key down on the keyboard and never let go of it. It was really the first time in a long time that something startled me because I wasn't expecting it to do that.

FYI...

I still haven't installed the onboard VGA card and monitor...

Monitor is irrelevant. Tied thru the VGA (relevant). Older nVidia work fine (this one is Geforce4).

Did you install the Chipset Drivers first? ALWAYS install them the very first thing before any other drivers!

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1845#sp

Edited by submix8c

FYI...

Monitor is irrelevant. Tied thru the VGA (relevant). Older nVidia work fine (this one is Geforce4).

Did you install the Chipset Drivers first? ALWAYS install them the very first thing before any other drivers!

Yes the first thing i did was install the chipset drivers when i was prompted to restart my keyboard and mouse froze, and i had no choice but to force restart from the case.

Iam using PS/2 Mouse and K/B

Edited by JaKSLaP

FYI...

I know, I was just throwing it out into the wind though since it does cause problems once installed.

FYI...

Yes the first thing i did was install the chipset drivers when i was prompted to restart my keyboard and mouse froze, and i had no choice but to force restart from the case.

Are your chipset drivers really "required" for the machine to operate? I don't think I've installed real chipset drivers in such a long time. Most of the time, they aren't required for actual operation. I'm not really seeing what would cause an issue with this board.

Well, it seems that the On-Board Video Drivers won't function properly without the Chipset Drivers first. For Add-On's it's irrelevant, true. Been there, done that and it'll drive you crazy.

Long shot... Do you have "Enable Legacy USB Support" (paraphrase) in the BIOS? For PS/2 you want that off as it only applies for USB Keyboard/Mouse attached. That same thing will bite you for any OS, especially swicthing from PS/2 to USB in XP (also will drive you nuts) and you have to do some stunts to get it to find the drivers (via SAFE Mode, AFAICR).

HTH

Well, it seems that the On-Board Video Drivers won't function properly without the Chipset Drivers first. For Add-On's it's irrelevant, true. Been there, done that and it'll drive you crazy.

Long shot... Do you have "Enable Legacy USB Support" (paraphrase) in the BIOS? For PS/2 you want that off as it only applies for USB Keyboard/Mouse attached. That same thing will bite you for any OS, especially swicthing from PS/2 to USB in XP (also will drive you nuts) and you have to do some stunts to get it to find the drivers (via SAFE Mode, AFAICR).

HTH

Thanks alot for your help, i gave up and re-formatted again, cause it was driving me crazy. everything is working now

Thanks alot for your help, i gave up and re-formatted again, cause it was driving me crazy. everything is working now

If there's anything else, just post it in this thread and we'll do our best to help!

If there's anything else, just post it in this thread and we'll do our best to help!

ok thanks