KB3083710 and KB3102810 (needed for windows update?)

Nomen

...which is where I would have started from (clean). I can't wait to see if WU clobbers my fresh installs once I actually start Updating. As I have stated before, I have *not* installed anything *but* certain (two?) WU-related updates and WU (manual search) runs pretty fast. Note that I have *not* allowed WU to Update as-of-yet. However, once I allow it (them) to actually UPDATE may be an entirely different story.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth the problem came back this month on the very same system.  Then, after putting this month's updates in, it seems quick again to find Defender definitions.

I think the problem and this particular bug are more complex than we realize.

-Noel

Maybe Server Load? So many people are begging to get MS' Windows Spy, err... 10, that they may be getting clobbered, in addition to who knows how many/big the WinX files are.

(Still holding off on my "free" Upgrade.)

No, not server load unless it's somehow very indirect.  I've watched the traffic.  When the bug is realized it's gone into a CPU-only loop consuming one core - it's not doing any network I/O, and we're rather past the era where a CPU hard-loops for I/O anyway.

I suppose it could be an exceptional path through the code that happens as a result of some network resource not being available, and that path leads to the looping behavior.

Bear in mind it DOES ultimately finish.  Personally, I'm quite convinced it's done on purpose by Microsoft in order to make life worse for older Windows users.

-Noel

FYI, I did update checks on several Win 7 test systems that had been brought mostly up to date a few weeks ago (sans a few Win 10 specific updates) and the checks all went quickly.

The list I hide on Win 7 is now:

KB2952664 (diagnostics for Win 10 compatibility)
KB3021917 (diagnostics for Win 10 performance compatibility)
KB3035583 (this one is GWX itself)
KB3068708 (adds capabilities to easily upgrade to Win 10)
KB971033 (checks whether Microsoft wants to deactivate your system)

-Noel