If you bought this stuff - how would you build out this config?

Vocalpoint

We have a very small network here with just a half dozen Windows 7 workstations and I recently took delivery of the following parts to build what I planned to be an "old school" new master file server for the home network:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600
Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz LGA 1150 80W Server Processor
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory

4x4TB Seagate NAS ST4000VN000

But then I started thinking about how much admin I am doing on the network so this may be the time to move away from the "WORKGROUP" hassles and finally get an Active Directory layout going.

Given the physical parts above  - and assuming a clean install of some form of Windows Server (Standard 2012R2, Hyper-V Server 2012R2?) - what would be the most efficient way to make the following happen:

1. New Domain Controller (with AD)

2. WSUS Services (Windows updates are getting annoying)

3. New File Server to replace old Windows 2003 box that is definitely on the way out.

Ideally - "efficient" to me means using the new hardware without needing to buy more stuff right away AND hopefully making admin/maintenance fairly easy.

I am guessing I could install ALL of the above using Windows Server 2012R2 right on new physical box and treat it like normal old school server but I have been reading that installing things like a DC and WSUS might work out better being on separate server instances - meaning VMs would clearly be needed so I am open to using Hyper-V.

Or maybe even installing Hyper-V Server and virtualizing ALL of the above?

Just trying to establish some sort of "order" or plan prior to installing anything so I do not waste a ton of time going down one track and find out I should have been doing something better.

Appreciate any "intel" from the field. This is all new to me so be gentle :)

VP

I build all file servers with the same format:
- OS on RAID1 onboard
- DATA on RAID5 or 10 on RAID card (with hot spares)

Having the OS on the same array/controller as the data gives you a single point of failure. The OS can be easily replaced, the data cannot. If the motherboard were to fail, you could transfer the data disks with the card to different hardware. If no RAID card is used, this can't be done.

You can virtualize WSUS and AD no problem, but I don't see a reason to virtualize the file server's OS. AD for that small amount of clients could run on 4GB RAM on a dual core CPU.. aka very cheaply. You could get any old box and a Hypervisor with 2 VMs on it and have your AD and WSUS.

On 3/21/2016 at 8:27 AM, Tripredacus said:

I build all file servers with the same format:
- OS on RAID1 onboard
- DATA on RAID5 or 10 on RAID card (with hot spares)

Having the OS on the same array/controller as the data gives you a single point of failure. The OS can be easily replaced, the data cannot. If the motherboard were to fail, you could transfer the data disks with the card to different hardware. If no RAID card is used, this can't be done.

You can virtualize WSUS and AD no problem, but I don't see a reason to virtualize the file server's OS. AD for that small amount of clients could run on 4GB RAM on a dual core CPU.. aka very cheaply. You could get any old box and a Hypervisor with 2 VMs on it and have your AD and WSUS.

Thanks for the update. Your ideas are exactly where I am at. But I am confused (for the File Server portion) on whether to go hardware RAID (LSI 2308 onboard the Supermicro) - OR go with Storage Spaces (native to WS2012R2). Both have pros and cons.

As far as the OS goes - that will be on a single SSD and will be imaged daily so I am not worried about running that in RAID1. And the actual file server data stash represents the "2" in our 3-2-1 backup strategy. Every file that is stored on the server - has it's origin on a workstation. Then all the data on the server is sent to Crashplan - so we have three copies of everything at all times.

With respect the the VMs - that's exactly what I needed to hear. File server on the physical install of Windows Server 2012R2 - and then do I just add the Hyper-V role to the physical file server and set up the DC and WSUS servers as separate VMs?

Appreciate the info!

VP

Edited by Vocalpoint

I've never trusted software RAID but I know people that swear by Storage Spaces. So I can't really answer that for you.

I also do not know if you can put WSUS on a DC, if it can you can just have 1 VM. I know for small business you are somewhat limited but I personally wouldn't put the VM on the file server. As I mentioned before, the OS on the DC is not going to take up a ton of space and with so few clients you don't need a ton of RAM. So the DC's VM can be on anything. The only reason I bring it up is depending on how your downtime plan is.

Take this real world example. My dev network has 2 main systems:
1. File server as outlined in previous post. Domain member.
2. ESXi Hypervisor with 2 VMs:
 - VM1: AD, DHCP, DNS, WDS
 - VM2: WDS, IIS, Apache, MySQL

Less than a month ago, a disk fails in the file server and it cannot be used* until the disk could be replaced and the array rebuilt. The spare on hand was defective and would not work and replacement disks had to be mailed overnight. But because the DC was kept on a separate system, everything still worked except for functions that used resources on the file server. If all had been on the one system, the entire network would have been unusable.

So consider that potential situation and make sure you have it in your plan what to do when using a single point of failure.

*server is technically usable, but it is not recommended to actively use an array when in Degraded or Rebuilding mode

On 3/23/2016 at 4:49 PM, Tripredacus said:

I've never trusted software RAID but I know people that swear by Storage Spaces. So I can't really answer that for you.

I also do not know if you can put WSUS on a DC, if it can you can just have 1 VM. I know for small business you are somewhat limited but I personally wouldn't put the VM on the file server. As I mentioned before, the OS on the DC is not going to take up a ton of space and with so few clients you don't need a ton of RAM. So the DC's VM can be on anything. The only reason I bring it up is depending on how your downtime plan is.

Take this real world example. My dev network has 2 main systems:
1. File server as outlined in previous post. Domain member.
2. ESXi Hypervisor with 2 VMs:
 - VM1: AD, DHCP, DNS, WDS
 - VM2: WDS, IIS, Apache, MySQL

Less than a month ago, a disk fails in the file server and it cannot be used* until the disk could be replaced and the array rebuilt. The spare on hand was defective and would not work and replacement disks had to be mailed overnight. But because the DC was kept on a separate system, everything still worked except for functions that used resources on the file server. If all had been on the one system, the entire network would have been unusable.

So consider that potential situation and make sure you have it in your plan what to do when using a single point of failure.

Reveal hidden contents

*server is technically usable, but it is not recommended to actively use an array when in Degraded or Rebuilding mode

I hear you loud and clear on the single point of failure. But - I didn't really do not want to have to build out another "server" either. I do have a bunch of parts laying around here but that means more rackspace, noise etc etc. But logically a working network is wayyyyy more important. Especially since I am just now dipping my toe into a domain structure. I should probably consider your layout and leave the file server standalone and place these other two elements in a separate space where I can ensure everything can be accessed if an issue arises.

So - ESXI vs Hyper-V? Where should I go? Pros? Cons?

VP

I just point it out. You could have zero problems, I just know I've had problems so I decided to share them. Even I would say I am not running a truly optimal or ideal situation, but budgets being what they are you have to make due with what you have. :)

Also consider you are starting out. Most bad network designs are that way because they were pieced together in a disorderly way. You have the opportunity to get a head start on the future by doing it in a way that will be easier for scalability or when issues arise.

ESXi is free and is Linux. So one plus is that you don't need to buy a license for the host. It is not full featured and some things you can't do. One that stuck out to me is you can't add external or additional storage to the virtual array. I am sure there are good comparisons out there, or maybe make a new topic asking about ESXi vs Hyper-V or other options.