Windows 7 PE drivers?

Xenithar

23 hours ago, submix8c said:

The WAIK lacks the WINRE only, otherwise exactly the same (WinPE 3.x, which you say you have already).

.CHM content is different. Those in OEM or System Builder Channel will find helpful policy info in the .CHMs. Also unattend.chm is fully index and searchable, much easier to use than the help files in ADKs. The only thing I use the OPK for now is the help files.

9 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

Where do I put these drivers to get them loaded? Say I have a 400MiB ISO with core drivers ONLY in them. I am imagining I need to open that ISO and somehow place a drivers folder on its root, then burn it do CD/DVD.

I understand that PE3 can load these automatically, I just have no clue where to place them so it all works.

What about:
write the 400MiB ISO to a cd
use a addional USB sick, copy and expand the drivers to  <USB stick>\drivers\
Boot the CD. Launch 'Driverpacks from folder' and select the \drivers\ folder.

I can do that, but I thought that it was automatic. I'd also like it to be on the disc (inside the ISO) if possible. This way I figure it boots, uses the core drivers in the WIM, then scans whatever folder on the disc has the other drivers, and I am dropped to a working desktop where I can service a PC.

*EDIT*

Oh, and it seems that the WIM size is capped at 768MiB. Go over that and it starts freezing. For those who want to know.

Edited by Xenithar

4 hours ago, Xenithar said:

I can do that, but I thought that it was automatic.

Oh, and it seems that the WIM size is capped at 768MiB. Go over that and it starts freezing. For those who want to know.

I don't know know how to configure this.

I'd also like it to be on the disc (inside the ISO) if possible.

Manually:
create a folder \Make_PE3\zzz_add\x86\Drivers
copy driver files to \Make_PE3\zzz_add\x86\Drivers

Make a 7 pe iso at MakePE3

Make another iso

makebt\mkisofs.exe -v -iso-level 4 -l -joliet-long -volid "PE3" -b boot/etfsboot.com -no-emul-boot -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -force-uppercase -o win7pe_x86\PE3.ISO win7pe_x86\ISO zzz_add\x86

Oh, and it seems that the WIM size is capped at 768MiB.

Here works a 894 MiB boot.wim at VMware Player, 1.4 GiB RAM attached to the machine. The task manager lists 1.1 GiB RAM used.
A boot.wim greater 1 GIB freeze after loading to RAM. Bootmgr, ramdisk.sys or another driver are limited.

This seems to me like one of those cases where having a "core" image and a second one acccessible and auto-mounted (like with a junction/mount point or similar) through a drive like IMDISK or the like would be fine.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

So cdob, would that place the drivers folder in the ISO but outside the WIM? That is my goal. Mass storage and chipset in the WIM, everything else in a folder on the ISO. I am not familiar with makeiso from the command-line so I am not sure what the commands listed do, which is why I am asking.

Translated:
makebt\mkisofs.exe
-v <- be verbose (i.e. output more information while creating the .iso)
-iso-level 4 -l -joliet-long <- a few parameters to make the inner format of the .iso correct
-volid "PE3" <- the name of the .iso volume 
-b boot/etfsboot.com <- name of the bootsector to use
 -no-emul-boot <- specify that above is a NO-EMULATION bootsector image
-hide boot.catalog <- optional, there is no need to have the boot.catalog visible (or hidden for that matters)
 -duplicates-once <- this - in case of two or more "same" files in two different paths will copy only first instance and make the rest links, think of hardlinks on NTFS
-force-uppercase <- this will make all directory and file names in the .iso UPPER CASE, no matter ThE OrIgInAl CaSe On HaRdDiSk
-o win7pe_x86\PE3.ISO <- this is the output .iso
win7pe_x86\ISO zzz_add\x86 <- these are the folders which contents will be added to the .iso

The actual PE files are inside the win7pe_x86\ISO folder and will go in the root of the .iso.

The drivers are in the zzz_add\x86\Drivers and since the contents of the zzz_add\x86 directory are added they will go in \Drivers in the .iso.

The folder on hard disk is called zzz_add because this way the contents will be added to the .iso AFTER the PE booting files (there might be some limitations in the booting files if they are saved into the .iso at a "too large" address).

jaclaz