Chrome 49 Update

sdfox7

Based by language in Google Help, it appears that Chrome version 49.0.2623.108 m is the latest and final version that will be released for XP and Vista.

The previous language was "This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported."

The new language is "This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported."

Once Chrome 50 rolls along, it is my intention to re-implement the XP and Vista code that is being stripped from the future versions.

While I strongly recommend that users move to Firefox, I will see if it is possible to reinstate the XP compatibility that I believe is being artificially stripped from Chrome. In other words, with the XP code I'm certain Win32 Chrome will continue to run without issues.

If you wish to download the final 49.0.2623.108 m full installer, you can get it from my FTP here: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/chrome/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe (digitally signed March 22, 2016)

chrome.jpg

chrome2.jpg

Uhm... I think we'll just have to download the new chromium source and compile it using visual studio (or GCC) in order to make it run in Windows XP, unless Google did something to prevent it to run in  XP. It's gonna be interesting how this is gonna affect the code and its compatibility. Keep us updated! :)

Edited by FranceBB

It would be great if you could somehow comment out the lines that disable aero glass for Vista users too. As I'm sure you're aware, about a year ago, Google was having to decide between aligning the Vista Chrome version with either that of Windows 7 or Windows XP, because continuing to develop the Vista-exclusive version of Chrome was becoming more difficult due to the lack of feedback coming from end users, while XP and 7 still had tons of feedback and users by comparison. While a fully updated Vista is more than likely capable of handling the Windows 7 version, earlier versions of Vista (SP1 and RTM) aren't equipped with the necessary APIs to make the Windows 7 version of Chrome work unless you install several updates, and I suppose Google was either too lazy to implement a check for these updates in the installer itself, or they simply didn't have the time to implement the code. There was a point in time where Chromium was taking the Windows 7 path on Vista SP2, whereas on older versions, it would take the XP path (I tested this myself back then, I'm pretty sure it was Chrome 41 beta).
Anyway, we all know that Google ultimately ended up aligning the Chrome code with XP across all Vista versions, and one side effect of this was the loss of aero glass. Many users complained on the Chromium forums about this, and it looks hideous and out of place on Vista. I wouldn't doubt if Vista could run the Windows 7 version of Chrome as long as its fully updated, because the two OSes are extremely similar. I believe Google dropped Vista support out of laziness more than anything, because it shouldn't be hard to develop software that runs on both Vista and 7. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I downloaded the Chrome 50 Beta. Just for kicks, earlier today I tried it on Windows XP SP2, and the following error appears:

chrome50err.jpg

When trying it on Windows XP SP3 tonight, the GetLogicalProcessorInformation error does not show, but GetThreadID does, which is supposedly a Vista and later handle. How do we add GetThreadID to XP, or remove the API call if it is not necessary? I've heard of Dependency Walker but don't know anything about using it.

chrome50err2.jpg

7 hours ago, dencorso said:

Just for the record 49.0.2623.108 m is not the very last version for XP. I just got 49.0.2623.110 m a few minutes ago. :yes:

That version was released just hours after my post! :PUNBELIEVEABLE!

So I was technically correct at the time! Thanks for the update! I'm still updating my archived version, as I think we are still close to the end for "officially supported" Google versions.

How do we add GetThreadID to XP, or remove the API call if it is not necessary?

It's not an easy task, it demands time and patience. And time-consuming hard work. I really doubt it's worth it, in this case. Just my 2 ¢, of course!

I've heard of Dependency Walker but don't know anything about using it.

Dependency Walker will show you the dependencies of an executable module (.dll, .exe or .sys). It's not capable of modifying a module, though.

8 hours ago, dencorso said:

It's not an easy task, it demands time and patience. And time-consuming hard work. I really doubt it's worth it, in this case. Just my 2 ¢, of course!

Dependency Walker will show you the dependencies of an executable module (.dll, .exe or .sys). It's not capable of modifying a module, though.

I agree. As I said in my original post, I highly recommend that everyone migrates to Firefox or Opera. That should put a dent in Chrome's market share, and Google deserves it! Firefox's market share actually rose last month, which is the first month Google implemented its obnoxious infobar. (I described in great detail here how to get rid of it.) While Opera may no longer release new browser versions, it is committed to releasing security updates for Windows XP and Vista users.

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/02/initial-opera-developer-37-release/

"While Opera 36 will be last one with features additions on Windows XP and Vista, we are still going to provide security and crash fixes to XP and Vista platform. You will no not be able to run Opera 37+ on Windows XP and Vista, we advise you update to more recent OS, if possible. Otherwise, we will have Opera 36 for you."

Pale Moon also works. For now, there are plenty of alternatives to Chrome. ONE vendor's choice to drop support on a platform is not enough to kill that platform for me.

hey anyone here can  tell me which api calls are required for xp to run crome 50.

I will try make a extended crome for you all.

If i can make win7 drivers for skylake pc to by modding hals, kerenals,kerenal32 and ntdll.dll then why not crome

dudes my methode of modding kerenal

Open kerenaL32.dll of xp with cffexplorer then rename kerenal32.dll of 7 to kerenal32_7.dll or anything else you.

goto importadder then add new apis 

agin check your new dll with dependency walker any new defence appear.

continue this process untill no red mark appear in dependencywalker.

highly recommend you test new files in VM

If any api cause problem  then try patch hex with IDA or Any hexeditor you like

I can remember that a year ago 360 total secuirity detected my modified system files as infected then it caused windows xp to unable to start anymore

Funnily enough, Google Chrome 51 Dev will run in Windows Vista, but pages won't load. I'm not sure if it's because I had to manually copy the program files over from Windows 7 and the program doesn't work properly without the installer, or if Vista is missing something to make it work properly. Either way, evidently, there's some sort of XP codepath "fallback" still there, since DWM still isn't utilized:

Untitled.jpg

I'm gonna take a look at chromium source code to find out what's going on and I'll be back with a build in a few days, hopefully.

My thoughts now are about a thing: chromium is open source, but chrome is not. Everyone is allowed to submit a change, but it has to be tested and approved by Google, so... I'm really curious to see what will happen when me (or someone else) will submit something to bring XP compatibility back. It would be hilarious to have chromium xp-compatible and chrome not XP compatible.

On another note, can anyone please tell me which is the last version of Chrome that doesn't block npapi (java)? I need it for work.

Exact version and subversion, please.

I know that for a long time there were only warnings that could be overridden, but around version 45 the kill switch was supposed to be toggled.

I have version 44 and Google (the site) is nagging me to update. I have disabled all updaters (scheduled tasks etc.), set group policy (I use business edition), but I want to find the last usable version and forget about it.