Linksys wpc54g driver in Windows ME?

FantasyAcquiesce

I've been trying to install a card bus wireless adapter for my notebook since there's not much of a chance to get the wifi card working and it seems this issue has been around for a long time for both Windows 98SE and ME! Linksys claims their product is compatible with Windows 98SE/ME, but many users of this product have been facing issues like I have.

After I install the software that comes on the CD (Online versions obtained make no difference) I receive a message that new hardware needs drivers. I tried to have Windows ME check the CD and even specific folders, but nothing seems to be working, searching the path which is something like  D:/Driver/9x does nothing. The card itself isn't broken. I read reviews on the website amazon from a few customers running these operating systems, but no one provides a solution to this issue. Sometimes my pc will hang if a card bus is plugged in during boot, but there's no other way the card bus can obtain power if I don't turn it on during boot.

Other important information???
-In Device Manager, my laptop cannot recognize a PCI Card and a PCI Universal Serial Bus, is this linked to the issue???

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I don't know the wifi card wpc54g. I searched on the support page and found this on linksys.com. There are drivers in Hardware versions 3.1 and 7.1.  Version 3.1 is for Broadcom devices and contains a 9x driver. I found in the inf file of 7.1 "Atheros". AFAIK Atheros never supported ME or 9x. I don't know your version. What exact card do you have? The Tool Everest or others can identify the card.  Apparently there exist different drivers for different vendors. Make sure that your card is in the inf file of your driver CD and that the size of the  inf file in  "D:/Driver/9x" is less than 60KB. On my ME systems it must be less than 52KB.  If necessary it has to be shortened.

I had the case to shorten the 9x driver inf file of a Broadcom onboard Ethernet device. Also I had experienced that a LAN driver, maybe it was this Broadcom onboard Ethernet device, was only accepted from drive C. I am not quite sure any more.:)

Edited by schwups

10 minutes ago, schwups said:

I don't know the wifi card wpc54g. I searched on the support page and found this on linksys.com. There are drivers in Hardware versions 3.1 and 7.1.  Version 3.1 is for Broadcom devices and contains a 9x driver. I found in the inf file of 7.1 "Atheros". AFAIK Atheros never supported ME or 9x. I don't know your version. What exact card do you have? The Tool Everest or others can identify the card.  Apparently there exist different drivers for different vendors. Make sure that your card is in the inf file of your driver CD and that the size of the  inf file in  "D:/Driver/9x" is less than 60KB. On my ME systems it must be less than 52KB.  If necessary it has to be shortened.

I had the case to shorten the 9x driver inf file of a Broadcom onboard Ethernet device. Also I had experienced that a LAN driver, maybe it was this Broadcom onboard Ethernet device, was only accepted from drive C. I am not quite sure any more.:)

I already tried the official drivers, mine is a version 3.1 model. Doing the "D:/Driver/9x" command didn't solve anything when I first tried and the add hardware wizard kept nagging me to install the driver, so I couldn't install it...the wizard kept saying there is no information for your hardware after trying the command.

How do a shorten a INF file, am I supposed to rename it?

:)What's the size of the inf file and did you identify your card? The size of the drver inf file version 3.1 on linksys.com is only 32KB. That is OK. There is no need to reduce it!

Shorten/reduce:

Use a Editor or Wordpad program to open and edit the file.  Inf files are divided into different sections.  e.G.: Find the sections with the devices or components. You can delete all devices except yours. Usually Win2k, XP, Vista... specific sections aren't needed. ....

6 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Do you have an internal wireless card?

My internal wireless card isn't supported on Windows 9x, but even if I used one that's compatible the card still can't do WPA2

8 hours ago, schwups said:

:)What's the size of the inf file and did you identify your card? The size of the drver inf file version 3.1 on linksys.com is only 32KB. That is OK. There is no need to reduce it!

Shorten/reduce:

Use a Editor or Wordpad program to open and edit the file.  Inf files are divided into different sections.  e.G.: Find the sections with the devices or components. You can delete all devices except yours. Usually Win2k, XP, Vista... specific sections aren't needed. ....

On my disc the file is at least 200kb

6 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Please list your internal wireless card model. Thanks 

BCM94309MP A.K.A Dell True Mobile 1400, I think. I have managed to install a driver for the wireless, but device manager gives me a ! on the icon, to top that off, there's no utility for me to manage as well.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

24 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Here is a link to the Wireless Driver for Win9x. Not sure if your model will work, but it should. Test it and report back please.

https://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3566

Oh Jesus bless you!!! It works <3 The official drivers I found didn't work! I need a wireless utility manager so I can do network connections now

Those are the official drivers, I just manipulated the .inf file, which I'm very good at. As long as the DLL, SYS, EXE etc... not missing any dependencies, I can PROBABLY get it working. We'll have you up and running soon. Take Note

I can only test hardware that I have. I can not test blind, have a nice day.

4 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Those are the official drivers, I just manipulated the .inf file, which I'm very good at. As long as the DLL, SYS, EXE etc... not missing any dependencies, I can PROBABLY get it working. We'll have you up and running soon. Take Note

I can only test hardware that I have. I can not test blind, have a nice day.

I'll be waiting, hopefully it will work (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I'm gonna be testing ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows 2000, it supports Broadcom cards...I tested it with KernelEx (Dumb idea I know) and it says a Resource dll is missing. Reinstall application to avoid this problem. After restart I get "The ACHELPER.DLL is linked ro missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:RegOpenCurrentUser"

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~