Need help getting into BIOS

Sophy

I just clean installed Windows 7 on my Vista computer. I had my boot order with CD 1st and now I want to go to BIOS and change boot order back so my hard drive is 1st. 

When I push the F2 key it takes me into the page where all my system information is given. When I push the F12 key it takes me to Boot Device Menu which doesn't look anything at all like it did before.

It lists CD, Samsung HD and USB in that order. Below that are 3 options of System Setup, Hard Drive Diagnostics and Boot to Utility Partition. I can't see anywhere to change that boot sequence back so that my Hard Drive is 1st. I can use my arrow key to go down and select the Samsung HD, then hit enter to start my computer, but I can't change the boot sequence and I sure don't want to have to do that every time I boot, restart. 

I didn't have any trouble going into BIOS before I did the install to change the boot sequence but I don't know how to get back to that spot. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

5 hours ago, Sophy said:

When I push the F2 key it takes me into the page where all my system information is given. When I push the F12 key it takes me to Boot Device Menu which doesn't look anything at all like it did before.

Use the Delete key to enter the BIOS, then go to your boot options.

7 hours ago, bluebolt said:

Use the Delete key to enter the BIOS, then go to your boot options.

I'm sorry but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the guts of a computer. I don't understand what you mean. At what point do I use the Delete key?

9 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Need to know model of computer or motherboard.

I ran Belarc and this is a Dell Inc. Dell DXP061. The chasis serial number is 8XQ45D1. If Belarc gives info about the motherboard, would you please tell me what to look under?

Under Network Drives Belarc shows that there are none. Is that correct or is there something I need to install?

Belarc shows my account as Privilege: Administrator. It then shows Administrator and Guest accounts marked as Disabled. In Control Panel/User Accounts I see the Guest account, but there is no other Administrator account showing; just the Guest account and mine. Should an Administrator account be showing?

25 minutes ago, Sophy said:

I'm sorry but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the guts of a computer. I don't understand what you mean. At what point do I use the Delete key?

When the PC starts up, before Windows loading screen pops up. You should have displayed Dell logo or lots of nasty, obsolete, pixelated text at the initial stage of running PC and this is when the Delete key comes in handy.

This should open BIOS setting for you.

3 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

When the PC starts up, before Windows loading screen pops up. You should have displayed Dell logo or lots of nasty, obsolete, pixelated text at the initial stage of running PC and this is when the Delete key comes in handy.

This should open BIOS setting for you.

It didn't work. It took me to a page where I could boot with Windows 7, but it didn't take me to BIOS.

@Sophy

Click this Click Here to open a dell pdf of the owners manual. Check out p127 how to enter System Setup (ie BIOS).  Switch the PC power on and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly as quick as you can (frenzied tapping!), until the BIOS screen is shown.  The PC should beep in protest at the repeated pressing but it will work, eventually.

PS: It is not a problem to leave the CD/DVD rom drive as the first boot device anyway, as long as the drive doesn't contain a bootable disk in it.

Regards, ®

I just answered a different post by Tripredacus explaining that I did go to the Dell site and did some reading, tried the thing again, and I did get my boot order changed back! Just for information purposes, I tried booting normally with nothing in the CD drawer and it would not boot. I don't recall exactly what happened, but it didn't boot and I had to turn it off with the button and start over.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your help. 

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Tripredacus said:

Need to know model of computer or motherboard.

"Dimension 9200" - F12 is the Diagnostics, F2 is BIOS. That's what the Service Manual says.

@Sophy - be REAL careful about just "turning off" the PC, particularly during Booting Into Windows since Pending Updates may be being processed. BTW, forget using F12 from here on since it's absolutely useless (boots you to the Diagnostics Partition #1). Dell did some REALLY silly stuff with all of that and (AFAIK) no longer supplies that facility (or partition) with newer PC's preloaded with Windows 7 and up. Also, I suggest you find (and download) that Service Manual since it gives a bit more details than the Owner's Manual. Just go to dell and search for "Dimension 9200" then click on the Documentation tab.

HTH

Side Note - That Partition#1 is/was their dumb way of avoiding helping by saying "Run Diagnostics and we'll try to help you. Oh, and maybe we'll just RMA (replace) your Motherboard." Vendors' Tech Help Line is usually pretty useless IMHO.