WPA2 for Windows 9x!

FantasyAcquiesce

Wireless Utilities:
-Boingo 1.5 (Not WPA2 compatible, could only use WEP...)
-WSC Guard 4.0/McAfee Wireless Security 4.1 (Supports WPA, but not WPA2)
-Buffalo Client 3 (Supports WPA, but not WPA2)
-Odyssey Client Manager 4.52 (The only universal wireless utility capable of WPA2!!!)
Obtain keys for the trail version HERE! Important to know!

Working PCI-Cards w/ WPA2:
HiRO H50069 (RTL8185) (PCI Wireless Card)
D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G card
*Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter (Wireless Card, unsure if this includes a wireless utility)

Mini-PCI Cards:
*Broadcom BCM4309 (Requires custom driver)
Realtek RTL8180L

*Known to cause boot failures. This is likely related to the fact the card itself was originally meant for Windows 2000 and later. To fix the problem, resources may need to be modified.

USB Adapters:
Sagem XG-760N (Drivers + Utility!)
Sagem XG-760A
NetGear WG111v2 (Use driver version 4.0.0! Click here for drivers! Beware, reported to cause windows to freeze!)

Wireless Routers:
TL-WR802N (Can be downgraded to 64/128/152-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK! Supports Windows 98!)

Needs to be tested!
WPA Supplicant (Includes WPA2! An older version needs to be tested!)

Windows 2000 and later (KernelEx will NOT work):
Boingo Wireless Utility

Name any working WPA2 Wireless Utilities, Cards, Cardbus', USB Adapters, etc!

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

I have an RTL8188 802.11 N USB adapter; while the driver works on Windows 2000, I can't find a WPA2 utility that runs on Windows 2000. I would similarly be interested in getting it working on Windows 98. I found out how to operate this adapter on Windows 2000 using this Overclockers page.

I tried a few years ago before Frontier took over AT&T's landline and DSL operations. I was only able to connect via WPA.

w2krtlk.jpg

11 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

I have an RTL8188 802.11 N USB adapter; while the driver works on Windows 2000, I can't find a WPA2 utility that runs on Windows 2000. I would similarly be interested in getting it working on Windows 98. I found out how to operate this adapter on Windows 2000 using this Overclockers page.

I tried a few years ago before Frontier took over AT&T's landline and DSL operations. I was only able to connect via WPA.

w2krtlk.jpg

Realtek has a utility, download the driver for xp/2000 for the Realtek 9181SE. The utility has wpa2 support. But needs the OldCigarettes wrapper.

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

w2krtlk.jpg

I can only think of one wireless client with WPA2 that works with Windows 2000, which is Odyssey Client, version 3.1 began to include WPA2 and ver. 4.52 was the last version to support Windows 98SE/ME. The company's official page for the client seems dead and hasn't worked properly for years. Googling it, it seems like the client disappeared almost like the Windows 98 Unattended disc. After searching hours and hours, you can find it on sites (You're on your own for this one, I discourage piracy).

19 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I can only think of one wireless client with WPA2 that works with Windows 2000, which is Odyssey Client, version 3.1 began to include WPA2 and ver. 4.52 was the last version to support Windows 98SE/ME. The company's official page for the client seems dead and hasn't worked properly for years. Googling it, it seems like the client disappeared almost like the Windows 98 Unattended disc. After searching hours and hours, you can find it on sites (You're on your own for this one, I discourage piracy).

Thank you for that information. This was previously released by Funk which was bought out by Juniper in 2005. The client information is still available on the website: https://download.juniper.net/software/aaa_802/public/oac/452/readme.txt

I'm sure the client is buried on their website, I'll revise this post when I find it.

4 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

Thank you for that information. This was previously released by Funk which was bought out by Juniper in 2005. The client information is still available on the website: https://download.juniper.net/software/aaa_802/public/oac/452/readme.txt

I'm sure the client is buried on their website, I'll revise this post when I find it.

Actually, I just realized; Mcafee Wireless Security or Boingo Wireless do support WPA2 on a later version. Look on their archive site for the Windows 2000/XP minimum version, it may contain WPA2

Every wireless card I own that has drivers for Windows 98 and 2000 comes with a utility that supports WPA2 on those systems, so I'll list them. My HiRO H50069 (RTL8185) card supports it on Windows 98, my D-Link AirPlus XtremeG card support it on Windows 98, the builtin Atheros AR5007EG in my Eee PC supports it on Windows 2000, and my D-Link DWA-130 USB adapter supports it on Windows 2000. All of those configurations are able to connect to my brand new AT&T U-Verse router.

• 2 weeks later...

I can still recommend TL-WR802N:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR802N-Wireless-Repeater-300Mbps/dp/B00TQEX8BO

I use it on a regular base for a W98SE-laptop, that does not have a decent internal WLAN-device.

I connect it to the LAN-port, and power it from the USB-port.

Don't forget to install a firewall on your machine, though, it does not have a NAT-firewall in that constellation.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that there is a wireless USB adapter (NetGear WG111v2), and it supports Windows 98 with WPA2 support.

Only problem is while the adapter is plugged in, Windows 98 freezes/bluescreens a lot more.

I am pleased to announce that I have finally gotten WPA2 working on Windows 2000, thanks to all of your input.

You simply need to install a compatible adapter with Windows 2000 driver (mine is a RTL 8188/8192 802.11n), then install Boingo wireless client, which appears to be the only client that supports WPA2 under Windows 2000!

I tested it on my Pentium 3 laptop and had no issues connecting!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070407064532/http://www.boingo.com/download_windows.html click th
e box and then Begin Download!

wpa2w2k.jpg

Edited by sdfox7

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

I am pleased to announce that I have finally gotten WPA2 working on Windows 2000, thanks to all of your input.

You simply need to install a compatible adapter with Windows 2000 driver (mine is a RTL 8188/8192 802.11n), then install Boingo wireless client, which appears to be the only client that supports WPA2 under Windows 2000!

I tested it on my Pentium 3 laptop and had no issues connecting!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070407064532/http://www.boingo.com/download_windows.html click th
e box and then Begin Download!

wpa2w2k.jpg

Nice Work,

does it work in Windows 98

3 hours ago, JaKSLaP said:

Nice Work,

does it work in Windows 98

Sadly not (At least the site says so, W2K SP4 and XP only) KernelEx maybe worth a shot, although KernelEx does not work well (If at all) with drivers...
Be prepared to manually uninstall and delete in case.

WPA2 has been always problematic in Windows 98, there are ways of obtaining WPA2 like Odyessy Client 3.1 to 4.52 (Discontinued Wireless Utility), Wireless Cards (Requires installation), Card buses (Be very careful which one you buy, some do not work with Windows 9x despite being adv'd doing so), Wireless USB adapters (But like mentioned, maybe cause issues, these same issues maybe present in card buses as well), or changing your router's settings if possible.

I'm somewhat confident there must be some sort of Wireless Utility released back in 2001-2008 that contained WPA2 with 9x support. We just need to look for it...
Biongo Wireless Utility (Archive.org version doesn't support wpa2)
Macafee Wireless Security Utility (Archive.org version doesn't support wpa2)

I'm looking for WPA2 compatible driver for my Sweex WLAN PC Card 140 Nitro XM (I'm not sure if hardware even supports WPA2) or or TP-LINK TL-WN725N (based on Realtek RTL8188EU).

Tried running Biongo Wireless Utility for Windows 2000 with KernelEx, but installer refuses to continue on 98SE.

Also I tried to find Realtek driver for 8188 for 98SE, but all I found was 8185 which didn't work (no harm trying;))