opengl games, system requirements, etc

cov3rt

i was wondering if any of you know or have tested any opengl games that originally would not have been playable on older operating systems (95osr2.5, 98SE, etc) due to not having the minimum directx requirements but were able to still be work using opengl mode. i tried to run fable the lost chapters on windows 95 in opengl mode, ( i didn't install it, i copied the already 32 bit installed program from another system ) but it gave an error of missing some directx 9 file, but why would it give this error? i thought opengl is software of its own and wouldn't need anything from directx to work? also, i don't remember exactly, but i think it might have mentioned some missing function or cd error. i know there is a list of opengl specific games such as mentioned in wikipedia, which is where i found fable, but i was simply wondering if anyone has any sort of experience with experimenting in this way?

It would be a bit more helpful if you posted the actual text of the error messages. According to the system requirements, that game is not compatible with Windows 95. It requires at least XP. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/905588 It's possible that although the game allows you to switch renderers, it's still linked to DirectX libraries and requires them to be present.

You may be able to get it running on Windows 98 using KernelEx, but I doubt there's anything that can be done on Windows 95.

well microsoft's information is not completely correct, fable tlc actually works on windows 98SE as i tested it myself ( without needing kernelex ), i was trying to use it on w95, but apparently, like you said, even if the game can switch renderers, it may still be linked to directx libraries and requires them to present, which could explain why i got the error linked to a missing directx file ( i don't remember the exact error ), with that being said, is there a simple hack or trick to make the game to think it has the system requirements or bypass this problem and allow playing it? like maybe hacking the original directx 8 file on the system and changing it to be recognized as the newer directx 9 file, something to which that may have been similarly done with the flash 7 spoof which they used the flash 7 plug in on windows 95 to get youtube to work on firefox 2.0.0.20 and opera 10.63, where they made the flash 7 file to be recognized as flash 8? there is another game i haven't tested and would like to get working on w95 which i think has opengl rendering is call of duty united offensive, because there are video cards that work on w95 that have hardware capabilities up to directx 9.0b which the game mentions, and the game can also be played in directx 7.0 mode. 

Edited by cov3rt

• 2 weeks later...