bootable iso program with fat16, ntfs / diskpart support, nt 4.0 setup

cov3rt

i was wondering if anyone knows any bootable partition programs with an iso image or which you can burn onto a cd that features creating / formatting / and deleting primary, logical or extended partitions in fat16/fat32 format or ntfs or one that also has diskpart? i downloaded a few bootable programs but all of them either were very large in size and were difficult to use or i couldn't find a way to use them. what i want to be able to do is format drives for windows nt 4.0, but also have the ability to wipe the hard drive clean of any extended or logical drives, this is because when first installing windows nt 4.0, i first create a very small fat partition using the windows 98SE boot disk (Fdisk) and then select the remaining detected space in the setup part of windows nt 4.0 and have everything loaded into that partition but then the new default drive for the operating system becomes an extended ntfs partition and fdisk is then unable to delete that partition later on. the only way i found that i can wipe the hard drive clean of any of those remaining ntfs partitions was to use a windows xp 32 bit full operating system cd and boot into command prompt and use diskpart, but i don't want to do this because it is not practical and i don't want to use two discs for formatting / wiping hard drives.

other than that, am i missing something here or doing something wrong in the windows nt 4.0 installation process? i was not able to get more than a 2 GB partition alone in the past, i always had to create extended ntfs partitions to get more space, yet i've seen people that had 4 GB partitions as their primary drives and no other partitions on the side, but how so?

3 hours ago, submix8c said:

hmmmm, i did read that document before and just today earlier, but what the heck, i guess i will experiment again with the dell latitude d810 i got and see if i can get any good results, i have to re install the operating system anyways for like the 5th time for windows 98SE which is what im trying to get working with it originally lol, i did it before, but this time, i corrected / added some things but the laptop is still very temperamental with 98SE, none of the other laptops i worked with were this hard to work with, going to safe mode and not changing anything makes the system unbootable..., other wierd things were if i used msconfig to prevent a program from running like the pci modem or ati control panel, it made the system unbootable to the operating system and only working in safe mode, and just now, i had a problem trying to configure the graphics driver, got it working before doing a certain method, ( i did write it down ), but maybe i didn't provide enough specific steps, but apparently i did something wrong this time which corrupted the video / driver and just turning the screen into a white distorted color on the splash screen and just freezing. i don't want to mention all the troubleshooting things i done, but one of the things i tried to do was delete all of the driver related files, and from the registry in safe mode, but none of these made any difference, it would still hang on the splash screen for ends. its gonna be frustrating if i can't get past the graphics part on the 5th installation time, but hopefully it will work out and i don't have to do a 6th installation or more lol.

ok, so i was able to get a 3.99 GB primary c: partition showing in the operating system for NTFS file format, so better than the 1.99 GB of space i originally had in previous setups from using fdisk originally to create a fat16 partition and formatting it as ntfs, which wasn't what i had to do. i first choose a 4098 MB partition size in the nt 4.0 setup loader with NTFS format option, which is the max amount before it says that the partition is too large. so i won't need a different partition program after all, the nt 4.0's partition tool should take care of any fat16 / ntfs partitions.

20 hours ago, submix8c said:

4098MB > 4096MB So pretty sure you exceeded 4GB by 2MB. Be aware we're talking GB and not GiB (there IS a difference).

Naaah.

Windows NT setup still uses good ol' CHS AND respects cylinder boundaries (as well as FDISK and most DOS based partitioning programs).

You normally (disk geometry of 255x63) can only have "steps" in size of  7.84 Mb (actually 8,225,280 bytes, given by 1x255x63=16,065 sectors x 512 bytes/sector)

Only  a very small (and EXTREMELY rare if it actually ever existed) disk (with a geometry of 64x32) would have a minimum step of 64x32=2047 sectors x 512 bytes sector = 1,048,576 bytes, i.e. one Mb, but such a disk would not possibly exceed a size of 1024x64x32x512=1,073,741,824 i.e. 1 Gb.

The (equally extremely rare) devices with a 128x63 geometry would have anyway a 128x63=8,064 sectors x 512 bytes/sector = 4,128,768 bytes i.e. roughly 4 Mb.

jaclaz