Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

Since 14 of april 2016 there is no longer possible to update MSE; after multiple attempts on several systems the result is always the same: error code 0X800700c1! My guess is microsoft stop porting MSE updates to XP version of MSE! What good AV can still be used with XP - good performance and low on resources?

I am talking about version 4.4, the one that does not nag the XP user with the message: support for this operating system has ended; not about the latest version.

Then I got a serious problem here! On 3 different systems with XP and MSE 4.4 I got the same message!

I am going do download MBAM to do a complete scan!

Thank you anyway.

Microsoft has released version 4.9.218.0 of MSE published at the same time in the definition update file (mpam-fe.exe, where used in the direct updating MSE) the SFX so it modifies not execute under Windows XP (error message mpam-fe.exe is not a valid Win32 application ). This means that on Windows XP only manually definition updates can be imported at MSE.

Further the latest version 4.9.218.0 by MSE not run under XP, the previous version 4.8.204.0 (if you get it installed with a trick) was still functional.

Personally Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is my favorite.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Microsoft Security Essentials Updater for download and update the definition.
(for Windows XP x86/x64, Functionality not tested on other versions of Windows!)

Download:
here

Download via Webproxy:
here

Password:

P&n"y9j5V23Khb1%vA7vM9CreU3BYzI429TD$h6K§

Update V1.9 on 05/02/2019

Adjustment for support end of MSE

Update V1.8 on 04/30/2019

Update V1.7 on 04/25/2019

Update V1.5 on 04/01/2017

Various bugs corrected.

Update V1.3 on 07/11/2016

Spoiler

Various bugs corrected.

Update V1.2 on 05/14/2016

Spoiler

been added:

1. Option to reset the antivirus update engine of MSE. (only in Startmenu)

2. If the option is Only Download in usage, are at the option "update the virus definition for MSE",
   simultaneously updates the definition for Only Download.

3. Optimised installation of the MSE-Definition.

debugging:

1. When comparing the existing and new version of the MSE-Definition
   despite recent updates was the message "No update aviable!" displayed.

2. By Only download the time is shortened considerably to determine the version.

Update V1.1 on 05/02/2016

Spoiler

been added:

1. optimized HTTP request so that only needed virus-definition is loaded. Delta update of the virus-definition now available.
   (Thereby the time intervals between the download requests can be considerably shortened.)

2. Displays the version of the antivirus definition, spyware definition and engine, as well which updated.

3. Only Download MSE-Definition definition file is possible.
   (mpam-fe.exe and mpam-d.exe, interesting if on an installation of MSE first no Internet is desired)

4. Process flow of the two concurrent batch files optimized.

5. Less CPU load, PING commands for Pause replaced by sleep.exe.

6. The program can also be run in unpacked (WinRAR or 7zip) form (MSEDEFUPD.bat),
   besides can still through various startup parameters, or in the file itself can be made settings.

Edited by heinoganda

Why would anyone want to use MSE even if it is still supported? It is a total RAM and CPU hog and its protection is mediocre at best. There are free anti-virus programs with better protection and much lower system resource requirements which still fully support Windows XP. I recommend Comodo and Panda.

Although I'm also not a fan of Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP, the reasons you have called. Which antivirus / malware software in Windows XP currently works best heard in a new topic. As can the for and back Discuss. It was about a solution to continue to receive the definition updates for Windows XP.

dencorso, thanks. But I thought, just in case newer updates include updated DLLs that might be found to have some issues on XP, I should keep the last official XP update around. Else, I'll just extract the MS SFX manually.

heinoganda, where's that update downloader (I assume) from?

I prefer MSE to other AV software. Less overbearing, and I trust MS more not to ruin the OS. If not that, my sole AV software would be VirusTotal. :)