Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

I did the reset the av and then the update using mse updater 1.5. Still it gave me the same message (no update available).

Next I reboot and upon restart the mse went red and said (not turned on) and went green, but still version 603 from 2 days ago.

Then I opened mse updater again and chose option 1 to update the av defs.... now it ran and reported updated to 797.

I am happy it finally worked, but am concerned that the proven methods have not worked smoothly like they have for many months before :) + :(:o

The question was aimed at the included program (MSE_DefUpdater_TaskMan.exe) in the MSE Definition Updater 1.5 package, where the Definition refreshes at intervals, which unfortunately does not work for them. Then we wait to see how this develops.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Is this only a problem with the MPStigStub in XP Pro x86 or is this happening with Win &,9.10 aswell , with the Auto update, &/or updating manually with the upadte button

Wish M$ would fix this problem with MpStig "IF" they are aware of it

5 hours ago, heinoganda said:

The question was aimed at the included program (MSE_DefUpdater_TaskMan.exe) in the MSE Definition Updater 1.5 package, where the Definition refreshes at intervals, which unfortunately does not work for them. Then we wait to see how this develops.

I don't understand. The mse_def_upd 1.5 that I have does not show any taskman program, unless it is inside. Right now, there is nothing in my running processes related to updater.

How does this relate to POSready?

When you download MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe, a WinRAR-packed file is downloaded that is protected by a password.
This WinRAR archive contains the following files:

1. Info.txt                                      Info and Parameter for "Microsoft Security Essentials Definition Updater" v1.4 / v1.5
2. MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.4.exe             is for test purposes only
3. MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe             to be able to install the Definition updates again
4. MSE_DefUpdater_TaskMan.exe   Setup for a small updater where the WU/MU routine is used by MSE. (Works only if the POSReady key is present in the registry.)
5. Readme first.txt                     This file should be read first!

Had a weird one today, one PC i used your MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe to update, but the other PC updated on its own, with no intervention

wether it was doing it auto from MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe and PosReady or it was MSE itself I have no idea

2 hours ago, DrWho3000 said:

Had a weird one today, one PC i used your MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe to update, but the other PC updated on its own, with no intervention

wether it was doing it auto from MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe and PosReady or it was MSE itself I have no idea

If you go about 2 pages back, I posted some weeks ago about this happening to me. I did absolutely nothing, and MSE updated all by itself, long after the updates had stopped and I was doing them manually every few days. This board was quiet for many days after that post.

is anyone having trouble using this MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5.exe as it connects then says No updates availible, yet there is

has the MpStig now been fixed so it either auto updates or you manually update thru mSE as it seems I can't

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I am having this trouble beginning today. First says update file corrupted, then on second try, says no update available. Is the update broken again? Mse updater 1.5 no longer works??