Setting IP config in Win PE3.1

STZ128

I have a winPE 3.1 image that loads from CD of PXE.  My desired application, BOINC, runs well.  However now I would like to network 10-20 PE3.1 computers onto a sub-network.  This network will be tied to a XP computer that will store the images and provide interface to the WWW.  In this server I will use ccproxy.

However, I am having trouble setting up the PE to interface with the server ccproxy.

So far the following lines do not work.

netsh int IP set address name="local area connection" static 20.0.0.5 255.255.255.0 20.0.0.1

netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" static 216.144.187.199

ipconfig /all

pause

:LOOP
ping www.google.com
goto :LOOP

Using this test, it appears the DNS is not working yet.  ( I have ccproxy set up for DNS and HTTP services)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Well , FIRST thing you are HAMMERING google with ping requests (since the DNS is not working it's OK, but is seriously frowned upon as a practice, insert a delay or just - better - ping for a given number of times instead of inside a continuous loop).

Then start from the beginning, check the basic settings.

WHAT is "216.144.187.199"?
(I don't think it is your local DNS server)

Can it be pinged/reached? (like in "ping 216.144.187.199")

Same goes for the gateway 20.0.0.1, can it be pinged?

What is the output of IPCONFIG /ALL (before and after you have run the netssh commands)?

Any reason why you would have static IP addresses instead od running a DHCP server in your setup?
(mind you personally I like to have my network(s) statically configured, but I am aware that it is nowadays considered extremely "old school" or "obsolete")

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Yes I know about hammering.  But like you said, right now it does not work.  As soon as a ping starts to work, I will add a delay. :-)

This my configuration:

Seti-net.jpg

Eventually, I will a DHCP and PXE servers to the workstation.  But for now, I want the PE test to access the WWW via the ccproxy.

Yes, the workstation shows 216.144.187.199 as the server, in the control window as well as ipconfig.sys.

However, on the workstation I can not get a response from any of the three DNS servers with pings. (What???!!)

On the PE test, i can ping 20.0.0.1/

Years ago, I had this config working with win 95.  Any ideas?

steve

Steve

Edited by STZ128
More info

At first sight your DHCP is on a different network segment 192.168.1.x than your workstation 20.0.0.1, most probably you need to check the configuration on the workstation (possibly you will need to use a static route or similar).

For the sake of the experiment, use a surely pingable DNS, such as google's 8.8.8.8.

jaclaz