File system error 1026?

FantasyAcquiesce

I reinstalled Windows 98SE on my Dell Latitude D600 and am facing just one issue. I was trying to extract K-Meleon 75.1 into a folder from 7-zip I get an error "Cannot Copy file: File System Error (1026). This error doesn't only happen with my K-Meleon file, but most files opened in 7-zip or WinRAR as well.

Any fixes for this?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

When you "open" a file in 7-zip or WinRAR the contents of the file are (transparently) expanded to a TEMP directory, the 1026 error is traditionally connected to having not enough available disk space, so how much free space do you have in the volume where the temporary files are expanded?

jaclaz

Opening does nothing. Extracting will use the TEMP folder under a Generated FolderName before "copying" to the TargetFolder.

It's always done that way. Explorer Copy/Paste works the same way.

Of course, you could always change your TEMP folder's location to a really big partition with lots of free space.

Alternative - Extract smaller "chunks" from within the Archive?

:unsure:

Odd...I tried changing the temp folder to a new folder on a desktop (Testing) only to get the message 7-zip has preformed an illegal operation...
I haven't tried changing the temp folder yet and the temp folder is the default size included with a Windows 98 installation

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

A folder has not a size (let alone a default one).

The size of a folder is the size of its contents, as said 1026 is typical of not enough disk space available, though of course it could be caused by something else, but basically it means "I cannot write data where you told me to" and normally the "where you told me to" is the Temp folder.

Again, check available disk space.

Then try writing files to the Temp folder through other programs and see if you have the same 1026 error, if you have the same 1026 error using both WinRar and 7-zip it means that is not connected with either program, but you could try using a plainer command line unzip tool with the same files that give you an error to verify this.

jaclaz

The OP is confused by "location" as opposed to Partition Size defined on a Hard Disk.

Think in this way (real life example):

Filing Cabinet = Hard Disk - Physical Media, Fixed Size

Cabinet Drawer = Partition - one of many Logical Areas defined ON the Hard Disk

Folders = Folders - "groupings" of Files ON a Partition

When "extracting" a COPY is placed into a TEMP "folder" (within the SAME Cabinet Drawer) before being placed into NEW "folder"

Bottom line, you do NOT have a large enough Partition defined on you Hard Disk - that is UNLESS (as jaclaz said) something else is wrong.

How about you tell us how big your Hard Disk is AND how big your OS Partition is AND how large your Compressed File is AND how big it will expand to (seen when OPENING with 7-zip and NOT "extracting) so we can get to the bottom of your "problem" (FOUR items of which you've not said).
(note - K-Meleon appears to be 25.34MB, so that's ONE of the above items...)

On 4/20/2016 at 8:11 AM, submix8c said:

The OP is confused by "location" as opposed to Partition Size defined on a Hard Disk.

Think in this way (real life example):

Filing Cabinet = Hard Disk - Physical Media, Fixed Size

Cabinet Drawer = Partition - one of many Logical Areas defined ON the Hard Disk

Folders = Folders - "groupings" of Files ON a Partition

When "extracting" a COPY is placed into a TEMP "folder" (within the SAME Cabinet Drawer) before being placed into NEW "folder"

Bottom line, you do NOT have a large enough Partition defined on you Hard Disk - that is UNLESS (as jaclaz said) something else is wrong.

How about you tell us how big your Hard Disk is AND how big your OS Partition is AND how large your Compressed File is AND how big it will expand to (seen when OPENING with 7-zip and NOT "extracting) so we can get to the bottom of your "problem" (FOUR items of which you've not said).
(note - K-Meleon appears to be 25.34MB, so that's ONE of the above items...)

I know my computers...I was being stupid because it was late at night...

Info: My hard drive is 40gb, my OS uses all the hard drive space possible if that helps. Both WinRAR and 7-Zip give me this error. You are correct about K-Meleon's size.
I doubt my hard drive is close to being full (36360MB free according to System Properties, Virtual Memory. Let me know how to properly find how much a hard drive is full if possible!). Even after getting this error I was able to install other programs. 

I'm kinda new to file compressing. I know its making files smaller, but I'm unsure how to find the size its supposed to expand to though since I didn't compress it...
Haven't used the laptop for a few days now and I guess I deleted the file or something. I instead have a Qupzilla Portable file. Its about 171.13MB if unpacked and its about 66.786kb compressed

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Right-click the Partition's Letter and the info is there, same as any other OS.

40gb is your HDD size. If you've created too small a Partition (via e.g. FDISK) on it for the OS, then you may (will) get the error. I'm assuming when you say "all the hard drive space possible" you mean you made a single large Partition on it (you have only a C-Drive). Correct? That should be MORE than enough unless (see next paragraph)...

You know, you could burn a few of your Compressed File to CD, delete off the Partition, and extract directly from the CD, right? I'd check the "Free Space" on that Partition as you may have eaten it alive. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, submix8c said:

Right-click the Partition's Letter and the info is there, same as any other OS.

40gb is your HDD size. If you've created too small a Partition (via e.g. FDISK) on it for the OS, then you may (will) get the error. I'm assuming when you say "all the hard drive space possible" you mean you made a single large Partition on it (you have only a C-Drive). Correct? That should be MORE than enough unless (see next paragraph)...

You know, you could burn a few of your Compressed File to CD, delete off the Partition, and extract directly from the CD, right? I'd check the "Free Space" on that Partition as you may have eaten it alive. :unsure:

Thanks, it says I have 35.5GB of free space. Yes, I created only a single C: drive. I guess I'm better off using Windows ME in this case (Which completely worked from the box, minus the drivers), Windows 98SE is not worth the extra hassle...

• 2 weeks later...

I get that error all the time when trying to drag and drop files from 7-zip, and I'm not really sure what's causing it. You need to select the file, press Extract, and then choose where to extract it to.

This issue is only found in Windows 98SE for me. Oddly Windows ME does not have this issue. Besides some bloat, I'm beginning to wonder why everyone hated ME so much; Came with generic usb drivers, more updated dll's (Better enough for someone to even make a program which allows "killer replacements" to 98SE), more hardware tolerant, even software tolerance occasionally, and if you need DOS there's a patch online.

Is this issue likely linked to dll files or something? There must be something in WinME that prevents this error

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~