Need Assistance Once Again Installing NETGEAR MA111 V2. Connection Problems: Connection sporatically connects and reconnects

libnw

Just purchased a new Netgear MA111 Ver 2 Wireless USB adapter.  It is attached to a Dell Latitude D630, using the Windows 98SE operating system in conjuction with my Cisco E1000 router.  I have the correct WIN98SE adapter driver installed and working.  However, when connected to my home network, this unit frequently disconnects, reconnects, then abruptly does both reconnecting and disconnecting.  This makes using Windows IE and other internet software applications impossible and not work properly.  I need help resolving this issue in order to obtain a flawless WiFi connection to the network.  I have NOT found any troubleshooting information available in the package I received that might help resolve this this issue.  I am not a happy camper tonight.  Other computers on the network do not drop carrier from the router.

Sounds like interference to me. How far away from the router are you? Make sure there are no cordless phones running on the same frequency as your network within range. If you can, please try this adapter on another computer as well with a different OS. OS shouldn't matter as long as the driver installs and is working, but for the sake of exhausting possibilities, that's what I'd do.

The USB is a "B" Wireless. The Cisco is an "N" .

Speeds - B->G->N

Check your Router's WiFi settings. It's probably exceeding the USB's speed.

I can only assume your other computers are WiFi (you didn't say)? What OS and what connection (you also didn't say).

HTH

Edited by submix8c

3 hours ago, submix8c said:

The USB is a "B" Wireless. The Cisco is an "N" .

Speeds - B->G->N

Check your Router's WiFi settings. It's probably exceeding the USB's speed.

Right, and make sure your router is on mixed mode. It probably is since I don't know if it'll downright refuse connection to anything less than what you specify or not.

• 1 month later...

An update of sorts here.  I gave up on the NETGEAR MA111 V2, and ordered a "Alfa Network 1000mW High Power Wireless G 802.11g Wi-Fi USB Adapter with 5dBi Antenna AWUS036H" which was shipped from Hong Kong.  The ratings appear higher for the Alfa adapter, plus it works in "g" mode, which I hope will work better with the Cisco E1000 router.  I've just returned from a 1-month vacation.  When the new adapter arrives I'll report back.  Hopefully with higher transmit speeds it might eliminate the cutout problems I was having with the NETGEAR adapter which broadcasts in "b" mode only.  If any of you have had an experience with the Alfa AWUS036H, please let me know if it was favorable on unfavorable.  I've got my hopes up this one will work!

Edited by libnw