Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

List of working Web Browsers on Windows 9x

Vanilla Windows 95
RetroZilla 2.0 (Rebrand of SeaMonkey 1.1.19 with newer ported CSS features!)
K-Meleon v1.5.4

Vanilla Windows 98/ME
Firefox 2.0.0.20
Opera 9.64
Lunescape 5.0

Requires KernelEx! (Windows 98/ME only!)
Opera 12.02
Firefox 3.6.28
QtWeb 3.5.4 Portable
CometBird 11 (May require jumper's extensions)
Firefox 9
Palemoon 8
Palemoon 11 (Workaround to get it working
Flock 2.6.1
Arora 0.1 Portable Edition (May require Jumper's KernelEx extensions!)

Requires KernelEx extensions
SeaMonkey 2.32  (Can only go to pages by URL, not searching!)
Opera 12.5 build [before] 1513
K-Meleon 1.8 (Read here for instructions)
*Slimboat 1.1.50
*Arora 0.10.0-1 ?
*Qupzilla 1.43 (Not usable)
*Install Qupzilla 1.1.5 and simply copy its Qtwebkit4.dll over that of more recent Qt4 browsers. You also might need to copy Phonon4, Mscvr90, and Msvcp90 if the newer browser doesn't have it
Alternatively, you could download the unofficial portable version of Arora and not need to do so

Doesn't work
Google Chrome
Opera 12.02
Firefox 10
Palemoon 12
Dooble Browser 1.4.0 (Qt4; last W2k version, opens but doesn't allow browsing)
BlueLightCat 0.6 (Qt4, "A required .DLL file, MSVCP100.DLL, was not found")
Zeromus Browser ("A required .DLL file, MSVCP100.DLL, was not found")
Sleipnir 3+
Qupzilla 1.66 (Even if dll's are copied over from an older version)
Firefox 10+
Slim Browser 5.00
Otter Browser (I'm assuming both the xp and modern version)
Oxy Browser
Xombrero 1.6.3  (Windows Installer sees the program as invalid)

Workarounds
Page not rendering correctly? Browser given false incompatibility? Try spoofing the browser to display mobile pages and bypass artificial incompatibilities!
Pages not rendering in Opera? Use Context Block!
Outlook express unable to connect because of unsupported protocols? Update them here!
Unable to connect to WPA despite supported wireless card? Click here!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~
Updated July 18, 2017 - Added link to WPA2 topic
  • Upvote 1

QT4-based browsers usually work (with KernelEx) once Qtwebkit4.dll is downgraded to version 4.7.4.0 (from Qupzilla 1.1.5) and scripting is disabled:

• Slimboat 1.1.50
  • Qupzilla 1.43 (or later?)
  • Arora 0.10.0-1 ?

QtWeb is static-linked, so no downgrade is possible. Last version to work is ~3.5.4.

Scripting does actually work, but throws lots of error boxes.

QT5 browsers (not yet working):
  • Dooble
  • Otter
  • Qupzilla 2.0.0

Edited by jumper
1.15 -> 1.1.5

Usually we are on uninvestigated or undocumented area with testing of programs like latest browsers with the help of KernelEX and especially Kext - Do it yourself KernelEx extensions. Mostly we need workarounds. My knowledge is rather limited to make great steps. The only currently development of KernelEX known to me is here on MSFN. A very huge thanks to jumper. I know development and testing needs very much time. How often I rebooted my computers during the past years??

I try to keep the WIKI up to date if time permits. I would be happy, if others could add more tested progams in the hope to keep the knowlege in the future, to have a place to check up.

I tested unsuccessfully the Safari browser some years back with KernelEX 4.5.2 and without Kext. Tests with the rather unknown browsers were mostly unsuccessful, too, but you can give DIY Kext a shot.:)

My preferred browsers on Windows 98 are Firefox 2, Firefox 3.6.28 under KernelEx, and Opera 9.x. However, I applaud other browser developers who have maintained Windows 98 support longer than Microsoft.

Internet Explorer 6 is dead on any version of Windows. Internet Explorer 6 cannot load Google and many other sites, but 5.5. and older versions have no issues. STRANGE! I think it is related to SSL 3 which bundled with IE 6 but is now blocked on most websites due to POODLE vulnerability. You need an old browser that supports SSL 2 which is NOT blocked.

IE 5 and Google under NT 4.0:

ntie5goo.jpg

IE 6 and Google:

googssl3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I noticed that too, sdfox. I'm like "What?!" But I think since most people were using IE6 and moved from IE5 or 5.5, they didn't bother making those not work. I'm sure there's something in IE6 that is detected by Google and any other site and says "Uh uh, no page for you!" It's kind of like new malware, since not many people use 9x anymore, there aren't really any new attacks out there because it's such a minority that it doesn't even pay to include it.

21 hours ago, Tommy said:

I noticed that too, sdfox. I'm like "What?!" But I think since most people were using IE6 and moved from IE5 or 5.5, they didn't bother making those not work. I'm sure there's something in IE6 that is detected by Google and any other site and says "Uh uh, no page for you!" It's kind of like new malware, since not many people use 9x anymore, there aren't really any new attacks out there because it's such a minority that it doesn't even pay to include it.

Since not many people use Internet Explorer anymore. There, fixed it for you.

Microsoft, by instituting its new policy in January to stop supporting all old browsers and force Internet Explorer 11, has finally done itself in. The company's rigidity/lack of flexibility means that Internet Explorer is now used less than Chrome and Firefox, after being the most used browser for years.

Nobody needs to use IE, we'll just switch to a different browser and keep doing what we have been doing, on the operating system of our choice.

StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-201504-20

21 hours ago, Tommy said:

It turns out my previous statement was slightly incorrect. Due to POODLE and the blocking of SSL 3.0 on server side of websites, IE 6.0 cannot load Google on any Windows OS without updated CRYPT32.DLL. Since Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, and Windows 2000 never received an updated CRYPT32.DLL for IE 6.0, they cannot load Google. They can, however, load Google with older versions of IE which apparently means that IE 5.5 and older are not reliant on CRYPT32.DLL.

Windows XP SP3, however, CAN load Google, since it has the updated CRYPT32.DLL.

If IE 6 on NT 4.0, 98 and 2000 can't load it, IE 5 shouldn't be able to load it either. It's truly a confusing state of affairs.

ie6goog.jpg

The next question is whether or not Windows 98/ME/2K can also use the updated CRYPT32.DLL (along with any interlocked dependencies it may have) from XP. Its possible it may just work, it's possible it may work with KEX or a similar approach, or it may not work at all.

Sdfox, please, i have a short question for you.
With IE6, javascript disabled and using the parameter gws_rd=ssl, google works fine for me. But only google!
Are you able to load also other sites with IE 5/5.5?

7 hours ago, Commodore said:

Sdfox, please, i have a short question for you.
With IE6, javascript disabled and using the parameter gws_rd=ssl, google works fine for me. But only google!
Are you able to load also other sites with IE 5/5.5?

Yes, the key is to install IE5DOM.EXE (high encryption package for Internet Explorer 5.0; this did not exist when IE 5.0 was first released in March 1999, but was released / digitally signed in November 1999)

https://web.archive.org/web/20070206104832/http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/128bit/default.mspx

http://sdfox7.com/win98/ie5dom.exe

ie5dom.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

The next question is whether or not Windows 98/ME/2K can also use the updated CRYPT32.DLL (along with any interlocked dependencies it may have) from XP. Its possible it may just work, it's possible it may work with KEX or a similar approach, or it may not work at all.

You'll also need updated RSAENH.DLL.

You can try running BlackWingCat's IE 6.0 SP3 for Windows 2000, which is unlikely to work because even that requires Windows 2000 extended kernel. You can also try to run the IEXPLORE.EXE in KernelEx compatibility mode for Windows 2000. The same issues that affect Windows XP SP2, SP1, Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 are the same issues that will affect Windows 98, which is that they are missing these updated system components, if not anything else.

Programming is currently not my strong suit, so you'd have to make this work using internet resources.

National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST.GOV): Windows XP Enhanced Cryptographic Provider (RSAENH): "RSAENH operates under several rules that encapsulate its security policy. RSAENH is supported on Windows XP Serivce Pack 3."

StackExchange: SHA2 support for windows XP SP2 : any hotfix or dll available?

Internet Explorer 6.0 SP3 on Windows 2000 (translated)

Edited by sdfox7

22 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

I got the DLL to load but it failed even on HTTPS sites that worked before. It references an external decryption function but does not reference a corresponding encryption function. A stub I wrote probably is not enough.

Just in case this may be relevant, here are the latest versions of those files (both available from the MS Update Catalog, on searching by KBxxxxxxx, as I've just checked).

File:    rsaenh.dll
Size:    222.6 KiB (227912 bytes)
Version: 5.1.2600.6924
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3081320

File:    crypt32.dll
Size:    589 KiB (603136 bytes)
Version: 5.131.2600.6459
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2868626

BTW, KB3081320 (which is for POSReady 2009) also contain dssenh.dll and schannel.dll, both of which may be relevant.

This is getting kinda (But not really) off topic, while this is a very useful tip and will come in handy for many IE6 users (Although the title of this topic isn't gonna lead someone here via google for these useful IE6 tips). Is anyone willing to dig into the web to search for a browser that could work using KernelEx or supports Vanilla 98?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~