Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

List of working Web Browsers on Windows 9x

jumper    60

> If possible, could you tell me how to downgrade the Qtwebkit4.dll? I'm new to replacing .dll files and lack knowledge of which web kits work on Windows 9x.

Install Qupzilla 1.1.5 and simply copy its Qtwebkit4.dll over that of more recent Qt4 browsers. You also might need to copy Phonon4, Mscvr90, and Msvcp90 if the newer browser doesn't have them.

Edited by jumper
1.15 -> 1.1.5
  • Upvote 1

On 5/9/2016 at 3:42 PM, jumper said:

> If possible, could you tell me how to downgrade the Qtwebkit4.dll? I'm new to replacing .dll files and lack knowledge of which web kits work on Windows 9x.

Install Qupzilla 1.1.5 and simply copy its Qtwebkit4.dll over that of more recent Qt4 browsers. You also might need to copy Phonon4, Mscvr90, and Msvcp90 if the newer browser doesn't have them.

Does this work on latest Qupzilla? Will any files need to be renamed or deleted?

Flasche    16
14 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Does this work on latest Qupzilla? Will any files need to be renamed or deleted?

No. The latest Qupzilla (v2.00) is a QT5 browser, and it uses a different web engine. This also does not work on the latest qt4 Qupzillia browser (v1.6.6).

CamTron    22
On 05/04/2016 at 11:37 AM, sdfox7 said:

googssl3.jpg

I'm not really sure that SSL 3 is the issue, as both IE5 and IE6 both support the same set of protocols (SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, and TLS 1.0). Even turning it off and using strictly TLS 1.0 fails to load Google. However, there is something in that updated crypt32.dll which allows IE and Google to agree on an encryption protocol and actually load the page. Anyway, those ancient versions of Internet Explorer are no longer usable for me, so I stay away from them.

My personal two browsers of choice on Windows 9x are Opera 12.02 (requires KernelEx) and RetroZilla (does not require KernelEx, and even works on Windows 95). Retrozilla is usable on most sites, but with lots of out of place elements etc., and Opera 12 has much better compatibility, rendering I'd say about 90% of the websites as intended. There's also Firefox 9, which is slightly more modern than Opera, but it's very slow and tends to cause problems with msgsrv32, so I don't use it.

sdfox7    163
1 hour ago, CamTron said:

I'm not really sure that SSL 3 is the issue, as both IE5 and IE6 both support the same set of protocols (SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, and TLS 1.0). Even turning it off and using strictly TLS 1.0 fails to load Google. However, there is something in that updated crypt32.dll which allows IE and Google to agree on an encryption protocol and actually load the page. Anyway, those ancient versions of Internet Explorer are no longer usable for me, so I stay away from them.

My personal two browsers of choice on Windows 9x are Opera 12.02 (requires KernelEx) and RetroZilla (does not require KernelEx, and even works on Windows 95). Retrozilla is usable on most sites, but with lots of out of place elements etc., and Opera 12 has much better compatibility, rendering I'd say about 90% of the websites as intended. There's also Firefox 9, which is slightly more modern than Opera, but it's very slow and tends to cause problems with msgsrv32, so I don't use it.

Internet Explorer on these old systems is a hobby (just like these old OS's are). As I referenced in a previous thread, IE5 can load Google without a problem; it seems that these old IE versions force Google to serve a non-HTTPS version, such as IE 5.0 on NT 4.0.

I would never use Internet Explorer for production uses, even on XP. Old IE versions are too much of a liability. You're safer running obsolete versions of Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

ntie5goo.jpg

Has anyone tried using somewhat newer web browsers (2012-2014) with these? I don't think a single page on the KernelEx wiki addresses using jumper's extensions for KernelEx, but I just found out (After it was posted almost 4 years ago...)

• Opera 12.5 build 1513 works with these without plugins (Build 1543 and higher versions crash on start, there have been many attempts of getting later versions to work with no luck)! 
  • SeaMonkey 2.0.14  (With a bit of work) works as well! (But there are reports of crashing when printing)
  • SeaMonkey 2.14.1 does not work due to being XP+...oddly 2.6.1 should be tested
  • SeaMonkey 2.9.1 apparently works as well with some work. SeaMonkey 2.7 works with KernelEx alone, but cannot manage bookmarks.
  • SeaMonkey 2.32 (I don't understand why this version of SeaMonkey is way newer than 2.9.1...being released in January 2015. This is so darn confusing, SeaMonkey!)
  • K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta2 works with the extensions (And some modifications)
  • Not a web browser, but Flash Player 11.811.9 beta, and up to 14 works (With some modifications) Even 19.0.0.115 can work!?
  • Firefox needs to be tested! It doesn't seem a single person has tried Firefox with the newer extensions after 4 years!!!
  • How about an early version of Chrome?
  • Discontinued 2013 Web browsers may hold some promise!

A decent web browser must be able to do the following:
-Youtube (If the video progress bar is appearing) I maybe wrong about the video bar, last time using Windows ME, Opera 12.02; youtube had loaded the bar to my surprise and allowed me to easily use the options!
-Quizlet or sites dependent on HTML
(If Office 2010 could ever work on Windows 9x, I must be in a dream!)

If I get time during the summer (busy high schooler), I'm gonna try using these kernel extensions and try to play around with dependency walker and so on, the KernelEx wiki really needs an update!

jumper    60
SM 2.n uses same Gecko as FF n+3 :

SM 2.1 - 2.5 (FF 4 - 8) might work, but need testing.
SM 2.6 - 2.9 (FF 9 - 12) work briefly and then freeze up.
SM 2.32 is newer than SM 2.9.1 because 32 is greater than 9.
SM 2.32 (FF 35) can browse from links, but not from a typed URL.
KM 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 should all work.
KM 74_31 (FF 31?) works some.
KM 75 - 76 need testing.

After 2.0.0.20, FF became very slow very fast. Also, history, bookmarks, and printing stopped working.
Pale Moon is the Gecko browser we should be pursuing, but it requires a modern CPU.

I haven't tested Chrome lately.

I have some of IE8/Trident working. There are many light-weight IE alternatives available.
IE9 could be next. IE10, IE11, and Edge probably never.
  • Upvote 1

MiKl    1

@Aiko. How did you get SM32 to even run ??
I spent hours but only get the 'Clouldn't load xpcom' on all machines/configs when launching the exe.

11 hours ago, MiKl said:

@Aiko. How did you get SM32 to even run ??
I spent hours but only get the 'Clouldn't load xpcom' on all machines/configs when launching the exe.

I haven't tested it myself. This is what jumper said:
If this isn't any help, try PMing him

Capture.PNG

Also, I found this older, 2014 topic about google chrome running on Windows ME. There is a youtube video link, but its dead now...is this real?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

On 6/14/2016 at 8:30 PM, Dibya said:

It might be real someone has fixed dependencies.

Apparently: These are the steps to installing Chrome on Windows ME (Probably would work on Windows 98SE, but no one has even tested it)

The video was made "long ago" and that post was made on March 20, 2014...its safe to assume its a chrome version before 30. If I ever get a chance to test this, I'm gonna start with Chrome 10. Blackwingcat's chrome tool was capable at least up to 28 according to an older youtube video of using it on Windows 2000, it may or may not work on 9x.

Capture.PNG

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~
Had to attach file

Dibya    231
18 minutes ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Apparently: These are the steps to installing Chrome on Windows ME (Probably would work on Windows 98SE, but no one has even tested it)

The video was made "long ago" and that post was made on March 20, 2014...its safe to assume its a chrome version before 30. If I ever get a chance to test this, I'm gonna start with Chrome 10. Blackwingcat's chrome tool was capable at least up to 28 according to an older youtube video of using it on Windows 2000, it may or may not work on 9x.

Capture.PNG

TRY Installing SRWare iron Portable over 9x

Then open SRWare iron files dependency walkers and list all api calls needed

Make some stub dlls mentioned here (A complete guide)(It is better to take vista files for dumpbin)(you can change user33 to 32 and same way with all system dll) https://dl.packetstormsecurity.net/papers/win/intercept_apis_dll_redirection.pdf

Put Wrapper stub you created on SRware Iron directory

Run Srware iron

I hope it will work

You can do same with other browser and apps

I  might have compiled few dlls for 9x guys and gals but currently  i have no time in hand

On 4/29/2016 at 4:30 PM, jumper said:

QT4-based browsers usually work (with KernelEx) once Qtwebkit4.dll is downgraded to version 4.7.4.0 (from Qupzilla 1.1.5) and scripting is disabled:

• Slimboat 1.1.50
  • Qupzilla 1.43 (or later?)
  • Arora 0.10.0-1 ?

QtWeb is static-linked, so no downgrade is possible. Last version to work is ~3.5.4.

Scripting does actually work, but throws lots of error boxes.

QT5 browsers (not yet working):

• Dooble
  • Otter
  • Qupzilla 2.0.0

Sorry to reply after such a long time: How do I disable scripting in QTWeb?

I've discovered there is technically a workaround to use Firefox 11; CometBird. Like older versions of Palemoon, its a clone of firefox. Its odd that Firefox 10.0.9 won't even start...
However, using Cometbird I discovered there's weird coding issues. I haven't watched a video yet, but typing anything displays another letter/number. While youtube doesn't appear completely broken, the words are. Overall, Cometbird isn't what I would recommend, but it works.

It may require jumper's kernelex extensions, I didn't test without them.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~