IE Contacting Servers

NoelC

Hi,

Recently on one of my Win 8.1 systems I spotted Internet Explorer contacting two Microsoft servers I didn't expect it to be communicating with:

• iecvlist.microsoft.com (even though "use compatibility list" is disabled)
  • r20swj13mr.microsoft.com

The former is Microsoft's "compatibility view list" server, and apparently IE sends data to it even though this is set.  Why am I not surprised at yet another breach of privacy?

CompaitibilityViewNotSet.png

Anyone know what r20swj13mr.microsoft.com is used for?  I've blocked it and so far I see no downside.

-Noel

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

Anyone know what r20swj13mr.microsoft.com is used for?

I don't know exactly what is used for. But i have fair collection of scripts and programs which bock telemetry and every single one of them adds that address in hosts file.

Hope it helps a bit.   

Both servers seem to be used for the same purpose: the dns alias ie9comview.vo.msecnd.net is shown for both of them when you do a nslookup.

So as you disabled the check on IE side, both should not be contacted anymore.

Edited by allen2
fixed typo

Right, but they are contacted nonetheless.  Hence the block by entries in the hosts file.

# Unwanted Microsoft site contacts from IE

0.0.0.0  iecvlist.microsoft.com                 # Compatibility view list, contacted even though deconfigured
0.0.0.0  r20swj13mr.microsoft.com               # Unknown why this is contacted by IE

-Noel