Are you going to upgrade to Windows 10 before July, 29?

Stefan43

7 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Yes, just what I want to have to do to use the amazing new Windows 10 - write my own display driver software.

Have you noticed that the ATI display driver package is 300 megabytes+ in size?

Heck, that's just a few nights work to replace, right?

-Noel

well, sooner or later, you will have to switch to windows 10, so... better start now searching how to  replace missing functionality...

Have to?  I'm not sure I agree that it is inevitable.

But as I'm not ready to just stop using computers I agree that I will ultimately use another OS than the one I have, yes.

I'm always looking out for how to make the latest releases adequately functional - more than you know - but if it's going to involve hardware change then maybe I'll just wait until I set up an entirely new machine.

The "up"grade is anything but free if it causes new insoluble problems.

-Noel

On lunes, 11 de julio de 2016 at 4:44 PM, kosamja said:

well, sooner or later, you will have to switch to windows 10, so ...

Sure man, I remember how ultimately everybody had to switch to Bob 1 and later to Vista back in the day.

85bb308c0c7d56303c42ca2f6cf285839fd6082f

You guys are all missing "the other option" you can hang on to your system weather it be xp/vista/7/8/10/linux/mac/anythingIhaveMissed (assuming the physical hardware you are using dose not burn and crash) until Windows the next version of Windows or ectra comes out. In my opinion it is reasonable to believe that the system you are using now can potentially last until the next system is launched. Look at how the people have been running 9x systems I still seen new threads being posted on a weekly basis (tbh I am amased that some of the hardware from the times is still functioning my last Win 98 machine died on me 3-ish years ago).

Sorry for the rant I was trying to post this in between work and my thoughts got a bit scrambled lol.

1 hour ago, helpdesk98 said:

you can hang on to your system

That's my plan.  I'm holding out for legitimate value, and passing on fashion.

It's not like I'm "missing out on all the wonder and fun"...  I run Win 10 today - in a VM.  And that's where it's going to stay until it does more for me than the host's Win 8.1 system does for me.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

1 hour ago, helpdesk98 said:

you can hang on to your system

3 minutes ago, NoelC said:

That's my plan.  I'm holding out for legitimate value, and passing on fashion.

Mine, too! :yes:

Problem is: in case MS never moves on from Win 10 (its purported "forever system"), then a plan B is needed, for the far future... :unsure:

Now, predicting facts so far in the future is difficult, but I believe I see FreeBSD (or maybe OpenVMS) there, but surely not linux.  :dubbio:

Even with virtual guns to their heads many folks are not leaving Windows 7 behind.

There will be some reluctant additional upgrading this month, owing to the end of the "free" "up"grade period, but don't kid yourself, there will still be hundreds of millions of folks who will continue to use Win 7.

Microsoft will ultimately realize they'll have to add VALUE to get them to upgrade (without quotes).

-Noel

Sometimes a company grows beyond its ability to provide value again, so that even when they think they can do it again, they end up sriveling and dying without even realizing it. I think MS may have already reached that point and, if so, then there's no turning back.

my plan b is Linux i am still booting my fedora box and experimenting, however, for the foreseeable future I will continue to use my Windows 7 and 8.1 has my primary OS. it dose what I need and their is room to grow!

• 2 weeks later...

I am staying on Windows 8.1. The interface of Windows 8.1 responds so much faster than the inteface on Windows 10. Also, I don't like Windows Update on Windows 10, 2 big releases every year, and the settings are not as advanced as on Windows 8.1 and lower.

staying on Windows 8.1. 

8.1 was a little faster than win 7, boot and shutdown

Been using win 10 pro for a year now. Seems to be okay.

Still think win 10 is not as good as win 7.

Will give win 10 a thumbs up for handing unknown devices.

Example:

Have an iogear switch box for monitors.

Booted 1 box win 10, second monitor was switched to other box os.

1 box showed in device manager, KVM switch (iogear), and

monitor screen did display 800x600 screen.

Upon switching display back to box 1, monitor screen went back

to regular, device manager showed my viewsonic monitor.

Some amazing stuff, as windows 7 ultimate would never do this,

just show a blank screen.

Charl

• 1 month later...

Here it is, 3 weeks later and...

1.  I didn't upgrade my workstation - the machine I need to do work.  It's still on Win 8.1.

2.  I upgraded my Win 10 test VM to the RS1 release.

3.  Courtesy of Big Muscle elsewhere on this forum, I've even resurrected Aero Glass.  Again.

AGOnWin10.png

I'm STILL so thoroughly unimpressed with Win 10 version 1607 AKA build 14393 AKA "the Anniversary Update" AKA Redstone 1 that I'm not just glad for item 1 above, but I'm f****** ecstatic that I didn't choose to upgrade the workstation!

Now it's clear why they didn't want to roll out the software before the "end" of the free downgrade period.  They would have duped even fewer people into adopting it.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC