IDT HD Audio Drivers

CamTron

I've just installed Windows XP SP3 on a 2011 HP Pavilion g7-1338dx laptop (with Sandy Bridge chipset). I've slipstreamed the SATA drivers into a XP SP2 installation image, installed, upgraded to SP3, and installed all updates from Microsoft. I've gotten drivers for almost all of the hardware installed by downloading HP's official Windows 7 drivers for this laptop which also happen to contain XP drivers. So far, everything that I need works except for sound. There are two items in Device Manager with yellow question marks. The first is "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" (Vendor ID: 8086, Device ID: 2805), and the second is "SM Bus Controller" (Vendor ID: 8086, Device ID 1C22). The audio driver from HP installs without any error, but I still don't have sound, and the device manager still shows a yellow question mark. I think the SMBus controller is something that allows the OS to control fan speeds, monitor temperatures, etc. I can live without that, but I'd really like to install a driver for it if at all possible. Any ideas on how to get this to install?

After installing the Intel Management Engine driver, I no longer have the yellow question mark by the SMBus controller, but still no audio.

44 minutes ago, Dibya said:

Friend, Try installing Via Hd audio deck that should work in your above mentioned dev id.

Thanks for replying, but what's your reasoning behind that? VIA's vendor ID is 1106, while the audio system in my laptop has a vendor ID of 8086, which corresponds to Intel.

7 minutes ago, CamTron said:

After installing the Intel Management Engine driver, I no longer have the yellow question mark by the SMBus controller, but still no audio.

Thanks for replying, but what's your reasoning behind that? VIA's vendor ID is 1106, while the audio system in my laptop has a vendor ID of 8086, which corresponds to Intel.

one of my friend is having a asus mobo .

he has dual boot with 7 and xp

when he boot into xp he has via but in 7 idt

so i answered so.

Please try running Driverpack solution lite

I have an HP mobo, which has almost all Intel hardware.

Actually, I posted the IDs wrong. The audio is actually Vendor 111D and Device 7605. I don't know how I got those values in the first post.

Driverpack couldn't find drivers for it. I'll try grepping some inf files for the vendor and device IDs.

After trying again, I've gotten the official HP driver to install successfully. I don't know why it failed before. So, now there are no yellow question marks in Device Manager.

However, I still have a problem. I can plug in headphones and hear sound through them, but with the headphones unplugged, I hear no sound from the laptop's internal speakers.

Two semi-random thoughts:

1) Some laptops have a keyboard combo (usually FN+*something*) that switches Audio (speakers) off.
2) It is not uncommon that the actual jack/plug connector switch does not make good contact when you remove the headphone jack

jaclaz

Continuing my current obsession with Windows XP, I decided to load my old copy of Windows XP Professional x64 edition on to this machine since Windows XP Home was only detecting 2.7 GB of RAM when I actually have 4 GB. I created a new disk, slipstreaming the SATA drivers with nLite. The installer ran without a hitch, and installed successfully. However, when I try to boot into Windows for the first time, I get a blue screen of death with these codes.

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADF91C0F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

0x0000007B stands for INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I have no idea what the other numbers mean. I don't know why the installer would be able to correctly read the hard disk and install Windows, but the resulting Windows installation fails to read the disk and boot up.

I followed this guide http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/td-p/114120 and installed the drivers for XP Home from 11.2.1006_f6flpy-x86.zip, which worked. However, I could not find a x64 version of the exact same driver, so I tried this one https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18668/AHCI-F6-Floppy-Disk-Utility-for-AHCI which allowed me to successfully install Windows XP x64, but I get the BSOD upon initial boot up.

You said the Version for x86 worked, so here's where they came from. Scroll down and get the x64 one and try it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21854/AHCI-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-for-Intel-6-Series-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards

What you provided as a link was older. This one should work (if the x86 one did).

HTH

Thanks, submix8c! That driver seemed to do the trick.:thumbup

I managed to get Windows XP x64 installed, along with all of the drivers, but my audio issues remain. I am able to play sound with the laptop's internal speaker in Linux, so I know it's not a hardware problem. I have another laptop with Windows 7 that has IDT audio, but it has this IDT Audio Control Panel. The XP driver doesn't seem to install any such thing, so I wonder if that's an issue. None of my hotkeys work in XP, though I am aware of some third party applications that allow you to manually assign functions to them.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I noticed today that the Windows XP startup sound and the login sound actually play through the internal speakers, albeit very softly. But once I'm logged in to the desktop, I can't hear anything at all.

Weird. Anyway, this means that drivers are working fine. From the control panel, when you click on the speaker, are you sure everything is fine? Volume level up, loudspeaker selected as default sound device etc? Maybe it's just something really silly like the weave turned down or something like that.

Yep, I double and triple checked the volume levels, and everything seems right, and there are no yellow exclamation points anywhere in Device Manager, but I can only hear sound by plugging in headphones, with the exception of the extremely soft startup and login sounds. I tried various versions of the driver, all with the same result. I just now upon logging in that the startup sound started to play, but went silent about half way through, as if something stopped it.

6 hours ago, CamTron said:

Yep, I double and triple checked the volume levels, and everything seems right, and there are no yellow exclamation points anywhere in Device Manager, but I can only hear sound by plugging in headphones, with the exception of the extremely soft startup and login sounds. I tried various versions of the driver, all with the same result. I just now upon logging in that the startup sound started to play, but went silent about half way through, as if something stopped it.

Not really sure about drivers themselves, but you could always try Snappy Driver Installer or Driverpack Solution, or maybe even Freecd.cn-easy driver as a last resort. (All of these are free automatic offline driver installers! Helped me a lot! Can be run from a flash drive!!!)
Not sure if this is relevant: My Dell Latitude D600's official audio driver would not properly install, neither would the official video driver. Sometimes Snappy Driver Installer worked, but usually the drivers would fail to install oddly. I tried " free cn easy driver v3.0", a discontinued offline driver installer and it worked! There might be a good chance one of these could help your issue if official drivers are giving you an issue.

For future reference, for newer machines I always usually had to install the "Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" because XP does not include this.

HP's version can be found here. It probably doesn't matter if you use the driver on a non-HP machine.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_45958_1