Crash report when opening a browser settings tab

bphlpt

Just thought I'd throw this out there on the off chance that maybe it's related to one of the updates I've hidden. [Den, if you feel this should be moved to a different or new thread, feel free to relocate it, but since I think the root cause is a Window's issue, maybe you'll agree it should be here, at least until the root cause is found.]

I typically stick with programs, and OS, that work for me and only update things occasionally or when I really have to.  I had to reinstall my OS which prompted me to update my programs while I was at it.

I've noticed that on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system, where I have hidden all of the Windows 7 updates listed in the first post but is otherwise up to date, that I have a peculiar situation when trying to use any of the Chrome variant browsers, ie Chrome, Chromium, COMODO Dragon, SRWare Iron, Yandex, etc.  All "older", ie older than about 3 or 4 months ago or so, versions of all of those browsers work perfectly fine.  But when I use one of the newer versions, and some of them update automatically so I don't have a choice, they also seem to work fine, EXCEPT the browser crashes when I open the browser's "settings" page.

Actually, the browser doesn't "crash", but rather it immediately opens a Windows generated error box saying, (with Yandex for example), "Yandex has stopped working" with the following details:

----------------------------------------------------
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BEX
  Application Name:    browser.exe
  Application Version:    50.0.2661.6376
  Application Timestamp:    57213418
  Fault Module Name:    browser.dll
  Fault Module Version:    50.0.2661.6376
  Fault Module Timestamp:    5721274e
  Exception Offset:    00eaaf56
  Exception Code:    c0000409
  Exception Data:    00000000
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    c5e6
  Additional Information 2:    c5e64b3b479b160ea66cecb9ccafe654
  Additional Information 3:    4b11
  Additional Information 4:    4b11d7ebaa978fc34a59f011dc3a763f

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
-----------------------------------------------------

No error log is created by the various browsers.  To them, when you try to reopen them, it is just as if they were shut down improperly, that's all they know.  And no other running process is effected, that I've been able to tell.

So it's Windows that is shutting things down, but it is ONLY for recent versions of Chrome, and ONLY when opening the settings page, which seems to point to a Chrome problem, at least to me.  I've submitted the bug to Yandex, where I first saw it, but no luck so far. In Yandex's case, something changed between version 16.2.0.2586 beta and version 16.6.0.6376 beta.

More info that might help is that in testing SRWare Iron, I found that:

These versions all work fine with no crashes:
v46.0.2450.0
v47.0.2500.0
v48.0.2550.0
v48.0.2550.2

These versions all work fine everywhere EXCEPT they crash when opening the settings page:
v49.0.2600.0
v50.0.2650.0

And for all browsers that offer both x86 and x64 versions, the problem is exactly the same for both.

I have noticed no other mysterious errors in any other programs I have run, so far, and yes, I could use Opera, or a Firefox related browser, or even "shudder" IE, but Chrome is my preferred browser and I'd like to fix this since I'm afraid it's just a symptom of a deeper problem.

I'm not an expert on evaluating Windows OS errors, so I could use some help.

Has anyone seen this behavior or do you have any suggestions of what I can try to fix, or at least better evaluate, this issue?  I would be most appreciative.

Cheers and Regards

My first thought was that perhaps these programs need this update:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3118401

Which is in the first post list. After going through the list, there seems to be 4 types of updates:
1. updates that help the OS upgrade to 10
2. updates that add telemetry
3. updates that update Windows Update
4. updates that allow "windows 10 programs" to run on earlier OSes.

That last one I think needs to be scrutinized, as most software writers are not making a Windows 7 vs Windows 10 version of their software. They are just making a Windows version. So some of these updates that fit into the fourth category may be required eventually as software makers add Windows 10 support to their Windows software.

Thanks Trip, but KB3118401 didn't help. :(

I agree with your thought process, but I can't for the life of me think what is special about the settings page of the later versions of Chrome to cause a Windows error.  Hopefully someone will chime in with knowledge of an error log that might be generated, (and know how to read it), that might help identify the culprit, or point to what Windows thinks is missing, or whatever.  At least the problem is reliably repeatable so I can make it occur on command.

Cheers and Regards

browser.exe is not a MS file. browser.dll is a MS file, but has not that version number, for sure. Are you having a dll name collision? The browser.dll on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate is v. 6.1.7601.17887 (win7sp1_gdr.120704-0720), dated 2012-Jul-04 ...

Topic split. Edit the title as appropriate.

A good start would be to use ProcMon to record what is done. You'll want to create a log for each scenario:
- old version
- new version

Whereas in each, you must determine the same amount of steps to the crash. So if doing x in new version causes the crash, then do the same exact steps in the old one. Then *maybe* it can be determined what is different. There is an inherent problem with this approach, it may require multiple retesting. I may be able to try to recreate it myself later in the week.

Thanks guys.  Yes I know that browser.exe is not a Windows file, but my point was that Windows was the one that opened the error box, and it wasn't the app that "crashed", at least not in the app's mind, ie no crash report is generated by the app itself.

Anyway, I will be replacing my motherboard within the week and will be re-installing the OS again, so I'll start over and make sure that I know exactly what is or is not there, and why, and then see if the problem is still there.  In the meantime, I'll be glad to run any tests anyone can think of to verify what the issue is, to make sure I don't inadvertently recreate the problem.

Cheers and Regards

On 5/24/2016 at 7:11 AM, bphlpt said:

More info that might help is that in testing SRWare Iron, I found that:

These versions all work fine with no crashes:
v46.0.2450.0
v47.0.2500.0
v48.0.2550.0
v48.0.2550.2

These versions all work fine everywhere EXCEPT they crash when opening the settings page:
v49.0.2600.0
v50.0.2650.0

And for all browsers that offer both x86 and x64 versions, the problem is exactly the same for both.

Concerning SRWare Iron, were the full installed used or portable versions?

Might be something weird with my install, then.  I'm getting a new motherboard tomorrow and will be reinstalling.  I'll post back whether or not I still have the issue.  Thanks anyway for checking and the suggestions.

Cheers and Regards

could be cache of program/component (older)

maybe even prefetch-ed data of program/component (older)

or even browser specific version "inside engine" (either webkit or js v8) , or just some settings you did on chrome

in either case always check with twin products of same foundation (iron, opera, vivaldi, chromium)
see if it effects all of them

Thanks for responding.  I tried my tests with Chrome, Chromium, COMODO Dragon, SRWare Iron, and Yandex, both the x86 and x64 versions where available, all products of the same foundation, ie Chrome, and the results were the same for all of them. All seem to work fine, EXCEPT when I open the settings page, and only when I open the settings page, they cause a Windows error box to open saying "(the application) has stopped working" and the browser closes when the error box is closed.  And it's not leftover stuff from a previous installation of the app since this happens with a fresh install after I cleanly reinstalled my OS.  But I'll be reinstalling my OS again this weekend and hopefully the problem will resolve itself.

Cheers and Regards