Windows 98 won't start... Invalid Vxd dynamic link

junior600

Hello everyone, I want to install windows 98. I managed to install it but shortly after the Windows 98 logo appears on startup I get this error:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 3, service B.
Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct this problem.
Press any key to continue...

What does it mean? I read in internet that this error is related to Ram or Cpu...

These are my specs:

Motherboard: msi h97 mate pro

Cpu: Intel core i5 4590 3.3 ghz

ram:4 gb ram

vga: nvidia gtx 960 (I have a geforce 6800 for windows 98)

On this motherboard, there are two pci slots, so I can install a audio card and a network card which work with windows 98. Sorry for my bad english:P

11 hours ago, junior600 said:

Hello everyone, I want to install windows 98. I managed to install it but shortly after the Windows 98 logo appears on startup I get this error:

Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct this problem.

What does it mean? I read in internet that this error is related to Ram or Cpu...

These are my specs:

On this motherboard, there are two pci slots, so I can install a audio card and a network card which work with windows 98. Sorry for my bad english:P

It may be possible to run 98 on this hardware, but in order to do so you will definitely need several patches from our good friend rloew and I almost guarantee you will need to install with "SETUP /P I" to disable ACPI. I have never tried to install 9x on hardware this "new," but it doesn't mean it's impossible. I have used 9x successfully on an X58 system and rloew has it working on a Z87 system. If you don't have at least rloew's RAM and SATA patches though, don't waste your time trying.

9 hours ago, pionner said:

Forget it. Windows 98 will never handle this hardware. Install in VM or build 98-compatible one.

This is hardly helpful. This is the dismissive attitude I see given to 9x users who want to use 9x on modern hardware on various other forums. I don't like seeing it here as well.

You can set MaxPhysPage=20000 in System.ini to limit Windows to 512 MB of RAM. Many BIOSes allow you to set the AHCI mode to legacy IDE which allows operating systems to be installed without SATA support. As far as I know, Windows 98 doesn't have a limit on CPU speed like 95 does, so it should be able to run on any processor. I've never tried installing Windows 98 on hardware that new, but you'll likely not have any power management support or USB support. Do you have any PCI boards plugged in? Try removing all devices and see if Windows will start.

10 hours ago, pionner said:

Forget it. Windows 98 will never handle this hardware. Install in VM or build 98-compatible one.

41 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

This is hardly helpful. This is the dismissive attitude I see given to 9x users who want to use 9x on modern hardware on various other forums. I don't like seeing it here as well.

I agree word-by-word with LoneCrusader. @pionner: if you don't have any constructive suggestion to add, then don't.

13 hours ago, junior600 said:

These are my specs:

Um...these spec's are gonna be very problematic...despite ram or cpu not being mentioned as associated with this issue, it still could be.

1. Windows 98 cannot boot with more than 1.5 gb ram, so you're gonna need to replace the ram sticks with 1.5gb or less. You could buy a ram limitation patch for Windows 9x though. Click here to read more
  2. Windows 95 and 98FE is unable to boot with a CPU over 2.1GHz unless something is modified. I'm assuming you're running Windows 98, not 98SE unless stated otherwise. Useful topic addressing that issue
  3. Windows 9x does not support Hyperthreading or Multi Core/Processors (You can use a multi-core, but only one core will be used)
  4. Possible solution here with the exact same issue. In your case its likely related to the ram Click here to read more
  5. This maybe irrelevant, but how large is the Windows 98 partition? Windows 98 doesn't support over 137gb partitions!
Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I am now experimenting with a MSI 970A Motherboard. It is definitely possible to run 98SE on this one.

The VXD Error may be related to the lack of DMA Memory issue that the /M Option of my RAM Limitation Patch addresses. Setting MaxPhysPage has no effect on this. My Z87 required this and the SPLIT8MB Program in the Patch.

Disabling ACPI is probably necessary but is not likely the cause of the VXD Error.

Thanks everyone, I bought the sata patch from rloew two years ago. As soon as I get some money, I'll buy the ram limitation patch too. Today afternoon I will try to install windows 98 again and see if it works or not.

BTW I have installed windows 98 using a flash drive , I followed this tutorial. ( My motherboard is too new, so I can't set the ide mode in bios)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qd7cDbtwj4

4 hours ago, rloew said:

I am now experimenting with a MSI 970A Motherboard. It is definitely possible to run 98SE on this one.

The VXD Error may be related to the lack of DMA Memory issue that the /M Option of my RAM Limitation Patch addresses. Setting MaxPhysPage has no effect on this. My Z87 required this and the SPLIT8MB Program in the Patch.

Disabling ACPI is probably necessary but is not likely the cause of the VXD Error.

Thanks, I see. I will try to disable ACPI just to be sure. I have a question. Is it possible to slipstream your sata patch in a windows 98's installation cd? Will it work in dos mode?

The SATA Patch, like all of my Patches, can be Installed from DOS. It can be applied after the first pass of Installation before the Drivers become active. Slipstreaming it would require that a Patched ESDI_506.PDR File be added to the Installation CD, or update the File in the corresponding CAB File.