Replacing My Current Thunderbird Version

thecavern

Hi,

I have an old version of Mozilla Thunderbird, version 1.5.0.14.

I'd like to download the latest version but I can't seem to find any reliable information on what happens to my current version if I download the newest version.

I'm on Vista and I've read the requirements to download the latest version.

What I don't know is :  (1) Will the download totally replace my current version ?  (2)  Do I have to save my current emails so I can move them to the new version ?  (3) Are there any pitfalls to watch out for ?  (4)  Are there any detailed instructions on-line as to the procedure to replace an older version ?

If anyone has downloaded a new version to Thunderbird to replace their current version, I'd greatly appreciate any information you could provide.

THANKS

I've updated the version on my wife's Windows 7 computer several times and it hasn't lost an email yet.  But I've always saved a copy of the current install folder "just in case".

Cheers and Regards

Could you tell me what you mean by "install folder" ?

Are you also saying that all current emails remain when you download a new version, including ones in folders that you created ?

I meant the folder where Thunderbird is installed, in Program Files or wherever you have it.  As to the "folders that you created", assuming you mean the Local Folders, yes those have always been left alone, but I have those in a separate location and they are separately backed up as well.  You could also use a portable version of Thunderbird, which might be easier to back up, for peace of mind.

Cheers and Regards