Weird USB Problem + 4 GB Patch Gone

cc333

Hi,

After using strictly Windows 7 for awhile, I once again installed XP with USB 4 on my 2008 Mac Pro (on which I previously had XP running perfectly fine for years). That is not the case this time, though.

Whenever I plug in a flash drive, it's like XP freaks out and cuts off all USB related things, including, most unfortunately, the keyboard and mouse. If I leave my flash drives unplugged, it seems to work fine (I'm using XP now).

I've installed a bunch of updates, but I'm not sure if it was that which messed it up, or something else. Regardless of why, I want it fixed. Any ideas?

Less urgently, I also would like to ask how to reapply the 4 GB patch to a live installation without a reinstall, as a recent update seems to have undone it (I'm back to 1.99 GB usable out of 32 :( ). I have the 4GB Patch "baked" into the slipstreamed installation disk I made up, so I can easily reinstall if I must, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

c

OK, I happened to have an install of W2k3 on my file server and copied the file. No change (however, there's \Windows\System32\dllcache and \Windows\Driver Cache that SFP uses. Could this explain why it didn't work?)

Thanks,

c

7 hours ago, cc333 said:

OK, I happened to have an install of W2k3 on my file server and copied the file. No change (however, there's \Windows\System32\dllcache and \Windows\Driver Cache that SFP uses. Could this explain why it didn't work?)

Thanks,

c

dude replace it on System32\Drivers

OK, I have everything back up and running now, and I now have it rigged to boot from a custom kernel, with the standard one as a fallback so I don't have to reinstall.

It would seem that with some update, the kernel files were updated from 5.1.2600.6748 (the version of the kernel with the known working 4+ GB Patch, hereafter referred to as 6748) to 5.1.2600.7053 (the version which disables the patch, hereafter referred to as 7053).

When I try booting with ntoskrnl.exe 6748, everything works, but there's no PAE (and the patch doesn't happen anyway). However, when I try to boot with ntkrnpa.exe 6748, I get a stop error (page fault in non paged area). So, is it possible to reapply the patch to the 7053 kernel files, because it would seem that something has changed and the old version with the patch will no longer boot properly (unless I'm missing something?)

Is there some patcher program that can patch the US English versions of these files? I know there's a Chinese version, but I don't know if it'd work.

Thanks!

c

p.s. USB will have to wait until I get this sorted out, because I suspect the two problems might be related somehow.

6 hours ago, cc333 said:

OK, I have everything back up and running now, and I now have it rigged to boot from a custom kernel, with the standard one as a fallback so I don't have to reinstall.

It would seem that with some update, the kernel files were updated from 5.1.2600.6748 (the version of the kernel with the known working 4+ GB Patch, hereafter referred to as 6748) to 5.1.2600.7053 (the version which disables the patch, hereafter referred to as 7053).

When I try booting with ntoskrnl.exe 6748, everything works, but there's no PAE (and the patch doesn't happen anyway). However, when I try to boot with ntkrnpa.exe 6748, I get a stop error (page fault in non paged area). So, is it possible to reapply the patch to the 7053 kernel files, because it would seem that something has changed and the old version with the patch will no longer boot properly (unless I'm missing something?)

Is there some patcher program that can patch the US English versions of these files? I know there's a Chinese version, but I don't know if it'd work.

Thanks!

c

p.s. USB will have to wait until I get this sorted out, because I suspect the two problems might be related somehow.

TRy searching about FIx128 , it will unlock pae of xp upto 128GB

It is rus so click the the left button to apply

I personally donot know rusian.

Hmm, I will give it a try... once I figure out how to get it!

There's a link on a Russian forum, but I need to join it to be able to download. EDIT: I decided to just register and download the thing. I'll try applying it shortly.

c

Edited by cc333
New info regarding fix128 download

OK, I got the fix128, but I can't figure out how to use it since its UI is in Russian (which I can't understand)

Also, the problem seems to be affecting Firewire as well, so maybe it's just some sort of incompatibility with a recent update? I'll try reinstalling standard XP with SP3 and only official updates to establish a baseline, then I'll add stuff from there.

Thanks for the help!

c

Edited by cc333

8 hours ago, cc333 said:

OK, I got the fix128, but I can't figure out how to use it since its UI is in Russian (which I can't understand)

Also, the problem seems to be affecting Firewire as well, so maybe it's just some sort of incompatibility with a recent update? I'll try reinstalling standard XP with SP3 and only official updates to establish a baseline, then I'll add stuff from there.

Thanks for the help!

c

sorry click the right button

12 hours ago, Dibya said:

I donot know russian

So the first box means "load classic core by default", next one is "don't put the alternative core' menu item to the top of the list", the dialog box with "3" means "The default waiting time in seconds before menu item will be autoselected", under that dialog box there's a checkbox with "Synchronize core version with Windows Update Center when a computer boots up", the long dialog box is alternative core' name for the boot string and the last dialog box with "0" means "increase data addressing limit for user mode applications" (I think it's about that /userva switch). The right button means "Install hotfix" and "About" button is on the left. I hope this'll help. BTW it's almost the same Chinese 2.1 Beta patch with old sys drivers from windows 2003 and there're two additional files - usbstor & usbintel.

Edited by Login

4 hours ago, Login said:

So the first box means "load classic core by default", next one is "don't put the alternative core' menu item to the top of the list", the dialog box with "3" means "The default waiting time in seconds before menu item will be autoselected", under that dialog box there's a checkbox with "Synchronize core version with Windows Update Center when a computer boots up", the long dialog box is alternative core' name for the boot string and the last dialog box with "0" means "increase data addressing limit for user mode applications" (I think it's about that /userva switch). The right button means "Install hotfix" and "About" button is on the left. I hope this'll help. BTW it's almost the same Chinese 2.1 Beta patch with old sys drivers from windows 2003 and there're two additional files - usbstor & usbintel.

fix128 is not chinese patch but more advance one .

It can adress 128GB Ram in XP.

chinese patch is toooomuch buggy

On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Dibya said:

It can adress 128GB Ram in XP.

No it can't. It is also written in fix128 chm ("up to 64 for XP").

chinese patch is toooomuch buggy

Check the patched kernel files. They will be the same (same bytes patched). And that's the only interesting thing for me. <_<

Edited by Login