Find superseded patches

Hi all, I'm building a repo of patches to integrate into my Windows 7 x64 install media. I'd like to check all of them to see if they have been superceded.

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this? I can easily make a list of all the KB numbers, but I don't know how to check them all at once. I'm afraid the only way is to check each KB number on the Microsoft Update Catalog site! There must be an easier way!

Any reason not to use the Convenience rollup instead?

Or just the list of its contents. This way a number of superseded/replaced/cross*linked/whatever updates will be out of the equation.

jaclaz

hi jaclaz, thanks for your reply.

I am actually using the conv rollup KB3125574. That's what brought to light for me, all the superseded updates. I got the list of updates it replaces, and removed them from my patch repo.

What I want to do now is check to see if any of the remaining updates I have in the repo are superseded, possibly by a newer update that I also have in the repo. Main goal is to reduce as much as possible, the number of updates I am integrating. I noticed that after I integrated KB3125574, and did not integrate all the updates it replaces, Windows Update performance is drastically improved. So I want to see if there's any more updates I can nix to further speed it up.

Thanks!

Well, that confused me...

If Win7, no SP, you'll need SP1.

Now comes the Convenience Rollup.

No go to Windows Update and see what gets tossed at you Post-Rollup and get those.

SOP, right?

(Nothing else matters?)

• 3 weeks later...

I found that installing the rollup is the wrong way to do things. Some updates require other updates and installing the rollup in the unattended ISO might break this.

So instead I did not install the rollup, but installed all the other separate updates. I did this during the week, ended up with the installation that only needed .NET Framework 4.5/4.6 updates! (which I found no way to integrate directly)

NTLite seems to know in which order updates should be added. I noticed that it rearranges my list (regardless of whether I add files manually, or just the whole folder), so that Servicing Stacks get installed first, and then the other updates.