Windows update has been borked, hangs on scan.

MikeyDGX

Well for some reason Windows 7 would hang when scanning for new updates. I restarted and when the new updates showed up I tried to install them but was unable due to the updates hanging on downloading. After that I tried to do a system restore, didn't work, had to restore back. After that I stopped wuauserv and bits, deleted the contents of the software distrubution folder, restarted the services and tried to update only for it to hang again. I use Eset smart security that is always updated. Any more info needed tell me.

Long and short is that I am desperate and completely frustrated at this POS laptop. Too bad I cannot simply uninstall and reinstall Windows updater.

I am begging for help. Please, I am desperate not to do a full wipe and reload.

Yes, that is nowadays a very common issue, though there is not a "universal" or "proofed" solution :(, the root cause seems to be the overcomplexity of past updates with new ones superseding the old and *what not*.

See these threads:

and this one:

I would try using the "convenience rollup package" and then try again.

jaclaz

There's a recent fix to the Windows Update problem for Windows 7 - install the KB3161608 June 2016 Update Rollup for Win7 SP1, which includes an updated Windows Update Client fix from KB3161647 (released June 21).  Although KB3161647 is not offered as an individual patch, it's part of the KB3161608 update rollup.

I recently installed the KB3161608 update rollup onto all my Win7 PCs, and after a reboot, Windows Update displays a list of available updates after 5 to 10 minutes of searching for updates instead of searching for a few hours w/out the KB3161608 update installed.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've tried updating two Windows 7 computers using that method, but those standalone updates are also glacially slow. Almost every time I try to install a one, it stalls for an extremely long time on "Searching for updates on this computer", which defeats the purpose of trying to speed up Windows Update.

Perhaps next year I'll need to invest in a compute cluster to handle those extremely intense calculations required for Windows Update.