Research on AM3+ board and chipsets: Resume

ragnargd

As far as i can see, it's not about them not believing you. They troll you.

Thanks, i dont mind, im too old for it.. on nvidia forum they are just you guys, which should have every modern stuff include last windows update and reinstalling every week to one more FPS probably.

So prolem is that i can get into Microsoft Basic Display Adapter device, i have always in device manager right second (primary /older) GPU name and vga driver used.. I did really much more experiments with Windows 7 and there should be something like Windows 7 trial, i installed it, but i situation was the same, but i dont feel comfortable or how say it with it..

Regardless i would like to see Microsoft basic adapters drivers details, which inf etc is used.

Edited by ruthan

I did some more test with Win 7, X99 behavior of 2 nvidia cards is same as on AMD970.

I tried Geforce 220GT + Nvidia G7950GT i had working stund, as is described, when driver 309 was installed, this driver supporting both cards, but once i have installed driver for Geforce 220GT only - 340, it stopped working and i had same situation as G7950GT + G1030..

I really want to see these screenshots, where is working Geforce 7 + Geforce 9xx together.

I think that could work ATI+Nvidia combination, or maybe Gigabyte board - and bios switch of primary GPU slot, otherwise lots of magic is needed and Dual GPU stunt guide is far from complete..

Sorry, you already got any and every screenshot there is.

I have the impression, you do not understand what i mean with "Dual GPU stunt". Perhaps my english is not good enough for you to understand.

Again:

1. 7900 GTX in primary slot PCIe 2.0 16x slot, DVI-D-port connected to any input-port on the Monitor (here: connected to input-port VGA, with DVI-D-to-VGA-adapter-cable).

2. GTX 970 in secondary PCIe 2.0 16x slot, (DVI-D or HDMI or Displayport) connected to any other input-port on the Monitor (here: DVI-D).

I have to switch the input-port on the monitor, to get the picture from the corresponding card.

W98SE: 7900 GTX detected, working, inoff. driver installed, working as "primary display"; GTX 970 not recognized, not working, no driver, gives no picture = this all is ok

XP: 7900 GTX detected, no driver installed, works as "Basic VGA"; GTX 970 detected, working, driver 368.81 installed, working as "primary display" = this all is ok. 7900 GTX can be disabled, but this is not necessary.

W10: 7900 GTX detected, no driver installed, works as "Basic VGA"; GTX 970 detected, working, driver 385.41 installed, working as "primary display" = this all is ok. 7900 GTX can be disabled, but this is not necessary.

(In case of need, on XP and W10, the resp. driver for the GTX 970 can be uninstalled, the driver 309.08 then can be installed, then GTX 970 will be "Basic VGA", 7900 GTX will become "primary display". This can be reversed at any time, as often as i want. I have to switch the input-port at the monitor, of course.)

What is there you don't understand? How can i help you?

I joined your discussion on the NVidia-forum, and posted above there as well. Let's see how they react (if at all). Without context, i should appear as boasting, so the fire is lit. :whistle:

Edited by ragnargd

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have managed to get Geforce7950GT + Geforce1030GT finally working on Gigabyte Z97 board, where i can force primary GPU slot in the BIOS, as far i know only Gigabyte and some HP workstation have such bios feature. I had to force Geforce7950GT to Standart VGA driver disable card and after that i could finally install Geforce 1030 GT driver from installer, otherwise i had to force installation from *.inf files.. when was Geforce 7950GT in the system, 1030GT installer always ended with errors, not drivers installed.

I dont know, what will happen if i will set primary gpu back to slot 1 (i dont have a time, i want to backup Win7 installation first) and second problem is that during Windows 7 installation was Windows 7 bootloader installed on Windows 98 partition and its not booting for now, there is some bootsector backup, but i will need to find out how to restore it.

Worst scenario is that it would be working only with manual bios switching and probably when i forgot to switch and boot wrong OS, i will have to reinstall drivers => PITA.

Another good thing is that Dual stunt working on this system on Linux too - Mint 18.2,  here i cant boot when i selected Geforce1030 as primary gpu and i can boot after Nouveau open driver was blacklisted, but still not 3D, so i had to download universal linux driver from Nvidia site, install it from terminal and after reboot, its working.

What is there you don't understand? How can i help you?

I understand principles (Win98, XP are ok, in Win 7 or Win 10, i never saw "Basic VGA" device, so something in your description is missing, forced Standard PCI VGA driver nothign), but problem is that you saying that for you is working something which never worked for me on AMD970 board - i never get picture on second slot Geforce1030 card (never get Geforce 1030 driver working after reboot, always Code 43 error), i always had only VGA safe driver and 1280x1024 resolution and i did same things like with this Z97 board and there it is working, but only with forcing primary GPU slot in bios..

Otherwise i asked for very specific pictures, them would help a lot.

I wouldnt be first thing  forwhich you need non documented bios specific feature.. I had similar issue with SB Live! dos sound, non one machine it was working, second nothing same setting and here is some small notes in specific there, which is say something about IRQ or DMA mask something.. and its directed to some very technical Google group discussion post at the end of internet..

When im thinkting about this Z97 GB - GA-Z97P-D3 board also supports Crossfire (noSLI), my AMD970 dont have Crossfire and SLI, some Intel boards had something for display port switching it was named Lucid virtue..

I joined your discussion on the NVidia-forum, and posted above there as well. Let's see how they react (if at all). Without context, i should appear as boasting, so the fire is lit.

You posted it into WinXP for Geforce 10xx cards request.. yeah there is same discussion, but topic is a bit different, there are special dual cards threads, even one mine with 3 posts..

Edited by ruthan

Ok i tested it without Bios primary GPU slot overide, its not working, same as on other machines, VGA save driver is running and i cant fix it.

Here are pictures of working and non working machine, i would like to see same picture (in Unigine is name of used GPU, so no sayers will see) from AMD3 machine and not Gigabyte boards.

NonWorking:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz6jo1rp6y5jk7y/WIn7-GPU-setting-1SlotGeforce7950GTisPrimary.png?dl=0

Working:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4py08lme7lgdoro/WIn7-GPU-setting-2SlotGeforce1030GTisPrimary.png?dl=0

Edited by ruthan

Because X800 arrived i tested, dual stunt with it and its working fine. Windows XP, Windows  7 even Linux with Geforce 220GT.

I have tried to overcome necessity of changing monitor input (my old 4:3 doesnt have input autoswitching) by using DVI to HDMI cables  HDMI switch, but is not working, second thing i discovered that is better to have
both monitors inputs connected right from both, i have tried reconnect just 1 cable after boot to right card, i dont saying that is not working, but i at least had some issues with it.

Forcing primary gpu slot in HP bios is working too, but its not necessary, but when i want to bruteforce, quick solution, its working.