Windows XP Mode on Windows 8 (and not only)

HarryTri

Windows XP mode is restricted to Professional versions of Windows 7. Microsoft doesn’t officially support it on Windows 8, but there’s a way to get Windows XP Mode running on Microsoft’s latest operating system anyway. You won’t need a Windows XP disc or license key — just a computer running Windows 8.

Download Windows XP Mode

First, you’ll need to download the Windows XP Mode installer file from Microsoft. To download the file, you’ll have to validate your version of Windows. Microsoft won’t let you download this file if you’re using a pirated or improperly licensed version of Windows 8.

Choose to download the WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe file when prompted. Don’t actually run this installer when it’s downloaded — just download it.

Continue reading on http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/forget-end-life-woes-windows-8-xp-mode/. Since this method relies on VirtualBox (probably VMware Player will also do the job) it must be useable on any Windows OS that these programs support.

JFYI, the VHD has MS-specific OEMBIOS.xxx (and MS-key), the same as any other OEM and if the pseudo-BIOS doesn't contain the correct character string, you'll have to "mod" the BIOS. AFAICT, both VirtualBox and VMWare allow for that (somehow), basically "inserting" it in. :unsure: I've read about this before. You'll have to "activate" it within 30 days (AFAIK). You can run XP-Mode in MS-VirtualPC also but the same applies. Windows7 has the "built-in" (the Pro/Ultimate?) but there's also the Windows VirtualPC that has that "built-in" to it as well (AFAICR) and I believe I tried it in my Win7 machine. JFYI, I believe there's a "trick" to allow it to install on "other-than Win7" (e.g. Vista/Win8). Also :unsure: about that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news guys, forget the whole thing. Windows XP Mode can't be activated on Windows OS that it is not meant to be installed on (I mean its VHD on a VM), the only way to use it is with VMlite XP Mode (in fact VMlite Workstation) which was a freeware once but now you must pay $199 in order to get it (they don't state it in their webpage but every internal or external link to the installation file just redirects to its homepage and in the "Buy" page you see the mentioned price for one license of the software). :(

Edited by HarryTri