What win-98 browser is compatible with msfn.org?

Nomen

I'm typing this on a win-7 pc because on my win-98 system (a) I can log in but not get a message editing window while running ff2, pale moon or retrozilla, and (b) when running opera 12.02 I can't even log in into my msfn.org account - opera gives me a file-download dialog after submitting user-name / pw.   Opera used to perform auto-login into msfn but it no longer does this.

So I'm wondering if there are users running win-98 that are actually able to log-in and post messages to msfn.org.  If so, what browser are you using?  (note:  I have kex but I don't run any version of FF higher than 2.0.0.20 because anything higher has given me graphics issues in the past like while lines across pages while scrolling).

And also note that if this post is moved to a different msfn forum (like forum/website issues) then it will probably not be seen by people who primarily or only read this win-9x forum.

I posted a comment a long time ago here that every time msfn "upgrades", it makes it less compatible with 9x-compatible web browsers. The most-recent upgrade was another case in point.

To type this reply, i am using PaleMoon v3.6.32 with KernelEx as well as the final NoScript add-on (v2.9) that supports this FF version. NoScript is important, because when i set NoScript to allow msfn scripts, i cannot post! In other words, when all msfn scripts are *blocked* by NoScript, i *can* reply (but with minimal editing -- for example, no preview). When i tell NoScript to "Temporarily allow msfn.org", the reply box at the bottom disappears; when i tell NoScript to "Revoke Temporary Permissions", the reply box returns.

For comparison: Before the most-recent msfn upgrade, i had full reply/editing capability when i set NoScript to *allow* msfn scripts... although that slowed down performance significantly.

- Doug B.

+1 DougB :yes: (emoticons only get processed when quoted by someone using a "modern" browser :( )

For MSFN I am using SeaMonkey 2.0.14 (Gecko 1.9.1.19), very comparable to PaleMoon v3.6.32, but with no SSE requirement.

Scripting hides the display of the reply box and slows page loads incredibly. It is only good for hiding Spoiler content, so I leave it turned off.

• To edit a post, click the invisible button at lower-left of post (below and to the left of pale horizontal rule and vertical separator.)
  • To add attachment, edit existing post, "Browse..." to file and save post.
  • To add another attachment, reedit post....
  • To position attachments, reedit post....
  • To save edited post with scripting enabled, click "Edit" button if there is no "Save" button.
In FF2 and other browsers, View->Use Style->None to make the login "Remember me" checkbox work correctly. This should avoid random logoffs when navigating various sections of MSFN.

OffByOne and Dillo are very fast because they don't/can't process most of the complex CSS-based layout. I recently downloaded the source for Dillo and am considering modding it to make a custom MSFN portal.
Edited by jumper

I am using K-Meleon 1.5.4 without KernelEx.
I have to refresh the page with Javascript turned off to see a text entry Window.
This is my first attempt to post this way. If you see this, it worked.

Apparently it does. Now editing.

Edited by rloew

Ah, ok, this works. I don't use noscript with FF2 - I use yes-script. So I've just added www.msfn.org to the yesscript exclusion list and bingo, I can see a text entry box at the bottom of this thread and I'm typing this into it.

Edit: While I'm at it, any way I can get posts to display with more than, say, 20 characters per line in FF2?

Edited by Nomen

jumper
"OffByOne and Dillo are very fast because they don't/can't process most of the complex CSS-based layout. I recently downloaded the source for Dillo and am considering modding it to make a custom MSFN portal."
There seems to be a more "recent" fork of Dillo for Windows called D+ Browser. I tried it. Actually, didn't notice the differences, but may be there was something useful updated.

Setting View-Page Style to No Style does make the posts more readable, but interestingly it makes the text-entry box that I'm typing this reply in only 22 characters wide, while before with the style set to Basic it was a "normal-looking" wide box.

Accessing the msfn forums with Opera 12.02 this morning and I'm logged in automatically.  Strange.  The last time I tried this, I wasn't logged in and couldn't get past the login screen.  

A persistent cookie is needed for auto-login.

For Style options, Opera has Author and User modes. There is something called My Style Sheet that can be used to customize most elements of a web page.

Firefox can be styled by modding the master style sheet, or by adding a user style (undocumented?).

Firefox4 / SM2.1 and later can be styled with the Stylish add-on.
See also userstyles.org.

Edited by jumper

I found the same thing too...

This makes me wonder how long it will be until a concerted effort is made to lift these legacy-OS sub-forums to another platform. FWIW, PHPBB's "subsilver2" theme that I use on another site works exceedingly well even on IE6 on my Windows 2000 system.

NoScript is a very big part of my browsing these days, especially on a laptop where battery life is important (even though this 2011 MBP spends it's life hooked to mains...), and on my main system. The modern web is just too infested with folks wishing to bombard you with BS, attack your computer or slow it to a crawl for no particular reason.

• 1 month later...

Usually I use Opera 11.64. 12.02 makes no difference on msfn.org. I have a question to the appearance. I see lines or boxes instead of the pins and symbols, but on one computer this Site looks rather well, similar to XP. So it should be possible to have a well-arranged appearance on Win ME (and probably on 98, too). Up to now for me it isn't clear why. I ruled out Preferences/Style options and Kext. It might have to do with one or more dll files in the system folder or an update. Maybe someone of you knows it.

I'm wondering this too, I've always had to comment on here with my Windows 7 PC or my phone.

Apparently SeaMonkey 2.32 is the best browser for 98, I've never tried it though. I'll try it soon and test it on MSFN when I get the chance!

EDIT: f*** me, I can't get SM 2.32 working no matter what stubs etc I add...

Edited by Kippykip

• 2 weeks later...