[SOLVED] Imagex hangs at 0% during /apply

Hi everyone,

Today I recaptured a full new Windows 7 installation for our deployment server, but im facing issues with the /apply function. The applying progress hangs at 0% for about 7-8 minutes before it starts, but shows constant network activity before it progresses. Finally after that it progresses and carries on normally. No errors shows in the log file, it just has that weird hang at 0.

I have rebootet the server and recaptured the image again to see if it helped, but the problem still persists.

Its the same for both 64bit and 32bit images.

Does anyone in here have any idea why this happens?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by doestergaard

I have not seen this issue. What version is the imagex.exe? Have you tried using DISM instead? What is the file size of the WIM, and what compression method was used at capture? What type of media is the destination?

Its imagex that came with WinPE 3.0 (AIK), it has never happended before. I captured a new clean image today, and did nothing to it at all, now it starts the apply progress immediatly. I use max compression for my 64bit images and fast for 32bit. Dism also hangs at 0 for about 5-6 minutes, but also applies instantly with the "new" image. Can it be an update that causes this? Because im usually installing a bunch of updates so it is as most up-to-date as possible.

All images is being applied from a network share on a linux server, this does not happen with the old images, it is very odd :D

The size of my wims never go above 5GB in size.

Thanks again!

Edited by doestergaard

The only thing I still use imagex for (besides legacy deployments that I haven't converted yet) is for /info and for /export to new .wim file. MS did say that with the release of ADK for Windows 8 Preview that imagex was deprecated, yet still kept releasing new versions even up until now. I think that DISM doesn't return the XML like imagex /info does yet.

Yeah, but you are still able to apply images with imagex, which is what my deployment software does. Maybe I have to rewrite the apply part to be using Dism instead, shouldn't take that long to do. :) I also use the /info for retrieving the Major/Minor version, so that my diskpart script creates the System Reserved partition based on what OS is being deployed.

Thanks for your help :)