Windows XP - MS Update Runs Forever - Never Finishes

Monroe

First of all ... I never downloaded the POSReady 2009 updates after April 2014 ... so all my XP updates stopped at that time. The only updates I've had since then have been for MS Office 2007 ... since I have Office 2000 installed.

All the Office 2007 updates were applied monthly through December 2015. I decided that in the future I would only run the MS Update check every six months ... June and December and only install any Office updates every six months. However, I did run the MS Update check in Jan, Feb and March and then not again till today.

When I ran the Update check earlier in the year ... everything went fine just to look at what updates were available ... today when I ran the Update check, it never finished, just goes on forever and then my computer starts heating up and laboring so I shut IE 8 and the Update check down.

I don't see anyone else here posting about this issue in the XP forum. I only use Office 2000 a few times a year so it works OK for me now, when I need it. If I can't update Office 2000 anymore then it's no big deal in my case.

I tried early this morning on a different ThinkPad and just now on another ThinkPad ... same result, the Update check never finishes. The last time I ran the Update check in March, it worked just fine ... usually would always take 2 or 3 minutes to complete ... like it always has.

I will try again later today and then tomorrow ... maybe the MS Update site for manual updates is temporarily not working ... when I get the list of updates required ... I then download the updates myself to save in a folder to burn to a CD for any future need.

Just curious if anyone else noticed this or has heard something in the last two months?

Edited by Tommy

If I remembered correctly, in late 2013 few of my XP systems ran windows update check for about 3 hours every month at the time of patch Tuesday. Moreover, newly installed Windows 7 Pro x64 system performed update check for about 7 hours. Unfortunately for Microsoft it can be considered as "normal behavior"... :-(

Edited by Bersaglio

xpclient - My Office 2000 is up to date through Dec 2015 ... no newer updates have been applied since after December. I just tried the MS Update tab on IE 8 again and it doesn't finish in 2 or 3 minutes like it did a few months ago ... March was the last time I ran the MS Update check.

I will try a few more days and then wait till December to get all the updates for the whole year. If it doesn't work in December then I will no longer look for any updates for XP and Office 2000. My XP setup with Office 2000 is working just great in 2016. I only use Office 2000 twice a year or every two years ... what's a few updates.

Bersaglio ... I do remember something about the update problem earlier and if I remember correctly ... there was an update patch released for a fix. Maybe this time MS has killed the update for regular XP users with no POS2009 installed.

If there are still some regular XP users with no POS2009 updates installed and doing a monthly update check ... maybe you can run the Update check to see if there is a problem for your computer.

I have a fresh install needing updates on a older Dell laptop(win7 64bit), but I get the "endless checking for updates bug" or error.  I recall seeing a fix posted somewhere and it involved  slowly updating the win32sys files W five patches.  I think even ask woody posted on this issue on his site(but it's for win 7 up me thinks)

Best regards

When I was searching Google for any recent news about XP and Office 2000 updates for June and the Update check not working or never finishing ... I did see a lot of people complaining about Windows 7 never finishing or taking hours to finish. I found no mention of any XP problems for June 2016.

Either I'm the only one with the XP update problem or something else is in play ... other people must also have older versions of MS Office to update.

Edited by monroe