Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 Firewire Audio Interface on XP

cc333

Hi,

I would like to do some audio recording under XP, but it would seem that my interface is only compatible with Windows 7 and up. The drivers don't have any checks to see what OS they're on, so they blindly install on XP (I do get the "driver not signed" dialog, though), which of course causes everything to freeze quite hard.

That being said, I'm wondering how easy it would be to modify the driver such that it wouldn't crash, and if not the driver, maybe update/hack/patch XP somehow?

The driver is contained within saffire-mixcontrol-3.4.exe and can be downloaded here for the curious.

Thanks,

c

Yes, I realize that it is "officially" unsupported on XP!

The point of this topic was to see if it is at all possible to hack the drivers (or XP itself) such that it works on the unsupported system. People here have done so many wondrous things with XP (4+ GB on XP 32-bit, XP USP4, etc.) that I thought maybe *someone* had an idea as to how my audio interface could be made to work.

Of course, if it's absolutely impossible to modify an existing driver (necessitating the reverse engineering of all the protocols used in the noncompatible driver and writing an XP-compatible one from scratch), then I'll just accept that and either 1) not use my interface under XP, or 2) go find the legacy version of the interface that is natively XP-compatible.

c

Edited by cc333

Try modifying the .inf file of the Saffire Pro 26 I/O XP drivers using strings from the .inf file you already have. If the hardware is compatible, you might get partial functionality.

22 hours ago, cc333 said:

Yes, I realize that it is "officially" unsupported on XP!

The point of this topic was to see if it is at all possible to hack the drivers (or XP itself) such that it works on the unsupported system. People here have done so many wondrous things with XP (4+ GB on XP 32-bit, XP USP4, etc.) that I thought maybe *someone* had an idea as to how my audio interface could be made to work.

Of course, if it's absolutely impossible to modify an existing driver (necessitating the reverse engineering of all the protocols used in the noncompatible driver and writing an XP-compatible one from scratch), then I'll just accept that and either 1) not use my interface under XP, or 2) go find the legacy version of the interface that is natively XP-compatible.

c

Can you provide me a vista /7 driver link?

Please wait for 20days , You may or may not have driver for XP. I cant promise but surely i will try.

I have a link in the first post, but here it is again for convenience:

Saffire MixControl 3.4

The driver itself is hidden inside the installer somehow, but it's there.

I hope you can get something working, and I'll gladly test anything that you come up with as you go!

c

Edited by cc333

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, cc333 said:

OK, I've extracted the drivers from the installer file given above and attached it for anyone interested in taking a peek: Saffire Pro 26 Drivers.zip

Dibya: I know it hasn't quite been 20 days, but how's it coming along? Any luck??

c

dude My health is not going good since a weak

10 hours ago, Dibya said:

dude My health is not going good since a weak

Since a weak WHAT? (result in spelling competition, I have to presume ;)).

Seriously now, take care, sonny:)

jaclaz

I'm glad you're feeling better! The driver is for Windows 7, and appears to be for both 32-bit and 64-bit. 

Since I have the hardware, please let me know if you need me to test anything. 

c

11 hours ago, cc333 said:

I'm glad you're feeling better! The driver is for Windows 7, and appears to be for both 32-bit and 64-bit. 

Since I have the hardware, please let me know if you need me to test anything. 

c

Surely

Win7 32bit driver link ?