Enable Speedstep with E8600

pointertovoid

Hello nice people! :D

My Cpu has the Speedstep feature but I didn't find where to enable it.

Observations so far:

• Intels says my E8600 ("Wolfdale" core 2 duo) features it.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/35605/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8600-6M-Cache-3_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
  • Cpu-Z observes 3.3GHz all the time.
  • The mobo is a Ga-ep45-ud3r with P45 northbridge, bios upgrade F11. I didn't find any setting nor mention in the Bios. Photographs available.
  • The OS is Xpsp3 (and W2ksp4r1 but that's less important) with vey few updates. I didn't find any mention in the Control Panel.
  • The cpu driver is Intelppm.sys v5.1.2600.5512 hence brought by Xpsp3.
  • I've downloaded RMClock v2.35 but still not tried it because it doesn't mention the Wolfdale processors.

Hints, proposals, suggestions, explanations...?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks GrofLuigi!

I have tried RMClock v2.35 meanwhile. It starts cleanly on W2k and displays much meaningful nformation about my Wolfdale.

I was pretty sure that my Cpu's clock stuck at 3.33GHz previously. Since the first time I ran RMClock, and without asking anything special nor seeing anything that would start it a bootup, my Cpu now throttles nicely to 2GHz when less loaded, both on W2k and on Xp - before I ran RMClock on Xp. So either I misread the clock previously, or RMClock made something.

CpuZ samples once per second or less and isn't the best for monitoring CPU frequency in real time. The best is, in my opinion, ThrottleStop with "more data" ticked. Similarly, RealTemp (same author) can, but it hasn't been updated for a while, not that it matters in this case.