Adobe Reader 11.0.17 is now XP incompatible (?)

Bersaglio

Adobe Reader 11.0.16 (MUI/any specific language version) is known to be working fine under Windows XP SP3.

But after updating to version 11.0.17 and starting the program for the first time there is an error message pops up complaining "Font Capture: AcroRd32.exe - Entry point not found" with additional info "The procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". As far as I know, InitializeCriticalSectionEx kernel entry point doesn't exist in XP kernel (it's a subject of Windows Vista and later).

I can't confirm this behavior on 100% of the XP running systems so it's just a warning currently. Waiting for more info... Feel free to post anything related.

Edited by Bersaglio

It's possible. All that is required is that Adobe used an updated compiler for v. 11.0.17, in relation to the previous one (so it was not intentional) or that they explicitly compiled v. 11.0.17 with Vista+ as the target (and then it was intentional). I doubt, however, whether we'll ever get to know which of those hypotheses has effectively happened.

Adobe Reader officially dropped support for Windows XP as of 10.1.12 and 11.0.09, so anything beyond that is not guaranteed to work. Adobe states, "You can continue to manually install and update Acrobat and Reader on XP, but future updates will not have been tested on XP and technical support will end for that platform."

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/index.html#x

25 minutes ago, vwestlife said:

Adobe Reader officially dropped support for Windows XP as of 10.1.12 and 11.0.09...

...Microsoft officially ended support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014. But, as we all know, Windows XP (Embedded) is still supported and will be supported by two more years after the end of Windows Vista support.:w00t:

Until current version (11.0.17) all previous updates of Adobe Reader XI are worked fine on XP (without any error messages). Therefore, there are two options: Adobe was intentionally ruined XP compatibility or mistakenly.

Edited by Bersaglio

But by Microsoft's "stance" on POSReady2009, the OS is not intended as a desktop platform, so Flash does not need to work on such an OS.  So the way I'd see it, Adobe no longer needs to give a darn about it.

I know it sounds like I've started to take a "Just let XP die now" viewpoint.  I suppose it's because now there's so much that no longer is working on it now, that I've begun taking a "meh" attitude towards it.  And I find once you get used to Vista and now Windows 8, XP seems so archaic now.  That's just me though.

:)

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

I know it sounds like I've started to take a "Just let XP die now" viewpoint.

Yeah. You do. You have my respect, but that's a stance I really don't like.
And, BTW, make no mistake, I do solely bank (and buy things, too) online on XP, ATM. :yes:
Someday, way back when, I may have told you it's not secure (because, in my view, nothing ever is secure!), but I'm confident it's as secure as 7/8/8.1/10+, if not even more. After all, were I a criminal hacker, I'd sure be targeting NT 6.x+, which is easier to do and covers most of the potential victims (ca. 80%), too. Security through obscurity usually adds little to overall security, but when people strive so hard to kill an OS, as is being done to NT 5.x, it sure does add a mesure of additional security. As Emperor Septimius Severus is supposed to have said: omnia fui et nihil expedit... no: it's not safe - nothing ever is. But that's no reason to eschew it, not at all.

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

I suppose it's because now there's so much that no longer is working on it now, that I've begun taking a "meh" attitude towards it.

Like what? All I need to do serious work and all I need for my leisure time still do work on XP, all right. So, to me it sounds like you're launching an ominous Shakespearean curse on it... and that sure does not sound right, all the more in forums like here, in which so many of us strive hard to keep it alive and kicking...  :no:

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Yeah. You do. You have my respect, but that's a stance I really don't like.
And, BTW, make no mistake, I do solely bank (and buy things, too) online on XP, ATM. :yes:
Someday, way back when, I may have told you it's not secure (because, in my view, nothing ever is secure!), but I'm confident it's as secure as 7/8/8.1/10+, if not even more. After all, were I a criminal hacker, I'd sure be targeting NT 6.x+, which is easier to do and covers most of the potential victims (ca. 80%), too. Security through obscurity usually adds little to overall security, but when people strive so hard to kill an OS, as is being done to NT 5.x, it sure does add a mesure of additional security. As Emperor Septimius Severus is supposed to have said: omnia fui et nihil expedit... no: it's not safe - nothing ever is. But that's no reason to eschew it, not at all.

Like what? All I need to do serious work and all I need for my leisure time still do work on XP, all right. So, to me it sounds like you're launching an ominous Shakespearean curse on it... and that sure does not sound right, all the more in forums like here, in which so many of us strive hard to keep it alive and kicking...  :no:

Like Chrome, Adobe products, many x64 browsers don't work with the x64 version.  Twitter vids don't play embedded in the browser.  Lots of stuff Dencorso.  And of course I don't mean without tinkering, I mean as is :)

I wasn't trying to be dislikeable at all.  I just feel a sense of moving on, you know.

10 minutes ago, JodyT said:

I wasn't trying to be dislikeable at all.  I just feel a sense of moving on, you know.

I do understand that, and that's why I replied like I did: to make you realize it can be read as somewhat nasty, especially in forums like here. :unsure:

As for not working, one cannot both keep the cake and eat it, :P you know: so I currently use Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m (when it's unavoidable), else FF 44.0.1 (with the HTML5 tweak) and, BTW, Adobe Reader 8.3.1 (I never liked the newer ones anyway), so, "not working" is clearly in the eyes of the beholder, so-to-say... :D

Cheers, Jody!

"Let Windows XP DIE "

Forget about it , NO one going to dump Fast XP for lame horse nt 6.x.

donot believe me then see the next year what happen.

Try Sumatra PDF or FOXIT moreover newer firefox can open pdf why? you guys want worst adobe reader

I use Sumatra Dibya.  And I use Pale Moon.  I guess I find I'm just seeing better value in newer versions of Windows, whereas I hadn't before.

Now, I'm not sure I'd call Windows NT 6x universally a lame horse.  Windows 8 is running well on my Windows XP-era hardware.  Just about as fast to be honest.  Yes, I've placed Classic Shell on it, and rid of the Start Screen and even a lot of the Metro apps, but I haven't used NTLite or anything.  It's not a pig on my older machine.  It runs well.

Jody I mean you no disrespect, and you and I have had enough interactions that I know you know that.  But in my mind your current stance is just an evolution of what you have been expressing for years.  When XP was just starting to approach End of Support, your stance was repeatedly that of (paraphrased by me and exaggerated to make a point):

"What are we going to do? Once XP gets to EOS the OS will instantly be overrun by every exploit known to man! What are we going to do?"

And though you were repeatedly told over and over and over that just because the OS is not officially supported or updated does not mean that it cannot be used safely and reliably, that did not matter.  Your stance remained the same, focusing on what bad things might happen, rather than taking the approach of figuring out what you needed to do to continue to use your "beloved" XP64.  So you switched to Win 8.0, (after a brief run with Vista?), and you seem happy.  That is absolutely wonderful.  That is really one of the main goals of this forum - to help everyone use the version of Windows that they choose, on the hardware that works for them, with the applications that they need or want to use, safely and reliably.  We will even help you continue to use Win 8.0 as long as you'd like, even though many of us cannot understand why anyone would possibly want to use any of the abominations that Win 8.x+ have become. :) heheh (NoelC obviously feels differently and that's great for him.)

So now you have progressed in your stance from worrying about what might happen to your OS of choice, to almost kind of indirectly deriding others about their choice of OS.  Sort of taking the attitude that since you were able to move on successfully that they should too.  That would be all well and good if they were asking about whether they should move on or not, but that is not appropriate if they are trying to figure out how to stay where they are.  If someone asks for an opinion then by all means express yours honestly and completely, but otherwise please be positive rather than negative.  You are better than that kind of behavior.

But, then, the above is just my opinion. :)

Cheers and Regards my friend

8.1 seems fine...  As long as you remove all the version 8 stuff and reduce it to essentially 7.1.  :D 

Win7.1.png

Honestly, I believe that's because Microsoft simply didn't have time to carve out all the good parts yet for the Windows 8 releases. 

But don't worry, they kept at it, and now we have...

UnofficialScreenshot.jpg

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Back to the issue of version 11.0.17 of Adobe Reader and Windows XP, I can report that the first time I launched Adobe Reader I received the error message reported previously.   However, on subsequent launches, everything has performed in a normal manner, so I am experiencing no problems using Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.17 on my Windows XP sp3 system!!