End of the VCR

Tommy

I still use VHS and have 2 VCRs connected at home, plus maybe 2-3 as backup in case one goes bad.

“Unlike vinyl and turntables where audiophiles do have a nostalgia in that it’s a richer, deeper sound, the VCR offers really no advantages over new technology,”

This is partly true. vinyl still has a good sound, especially in the case of DBX. VHS' counterpart for quality is S-VHS, but this was only used in Japan. S-VHS players/recorders will still be the pinnacle of the community with one exception: the apparently only HDMI VCR, a BluRay combo player the Panasonic DMP-BD70V.

What is missed is that some people can have nostalgia for things other than quality. VHS is not a horrible, useless technology even today. There are many instances of things that were not made on other formats even to this day. The media and the players are cheap and can be a better alternative. You can have the same movie on VHS for 50 cents or less, than their 4:3 counterpart on DVD. The players are cheap enough that you can gamble on players and test tapes until you can find one that does not eat tapes. My main VCR has been used at least once a week since it was purchased in the late 90s and has never eaten a tape.

Edited by Tripredacus
wrong company.

13 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Toshiba DMP-BD70V.

I think you meant Panasonic, not Toshiba.  Three of them are available used on Amazon today from ~$400 to $1000 US.

Cheers and Regards

They still great . I also have few vcr tapes ling around , they are older than me.After few days this tech writers will say bad about nitendo a old classic.

Edited by Dibya

13 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

S-VHS players/recorders will still be the pinnacle of the community with one exception: the apparently only HDMI VCR, a BluRay combo player the [Panasonic] DMP-BD70V.

Not the only HDMI VCR...  In July 2011 I found a Samsung DVD-VR375 online for 130 USD.  Works well with the other Samsung equipment I bought earlier that year (UN40D6420UFXZA, HT-D6730WZA).

Also have a Sony SLV-N71 from 1997 that I purchased as part of an entertainment system.  It still works perfectly--even connected to a modern LED TV.

As a backup, there's an old TV/VCR combo unit that my sister gave me.  It's very low quality and only plays and records in one-channel audio, but it has never eaten a VHS tape.

Edited by 5eraph
It's "375", not "735".

I figured there was more than one VCR with HDMI out. It could definately be something for someone with more modern setups. And it would be cheaper than getting a Framemiester.

I have my equipment split into format, so no longer find a need for upscaling any 4:3 source into a 16:9 display.

In 2005 I bought a nice DVD recording unit from Amazon and started transferring all my boxes of VHS film tapes to DVDs ... it was quite a project but I wanted to prevent any further "wear and tear" with the tapes or having the tapes perhaps dry out and become brittle with storage and time.

I don't know for sure if that would actually happen ... but maybe it would with a few tapes. So I no longer have any VHS tapes and had no need of a VHS player/recorder. However, a few years ago ... maybe even four or five ... I was thinking the VHS tapes and recorders will probably be gone completely one day, so I decided to go to Walmart and buy a new "brand name" VHS machine  and some blank tapes to put away ... just in case I might need something like that down the road.

I think I only paid $40 to $45 dollars for the machine and it sits today in a storage room with other things. I have not played any VHS tapes since 2005 as I transferred the VHS films to DVDs for long term storage. It was great to give the tapes away or just get rid of boxes of old tapes.

I am sad to see all that time come to an end ... too bad CDs and DVDs couldn't have come around sooner ... spent a lot of money on VHS tapes and machines ... both Beta and VHS.

DVDs now seem to be on the same course as VHS tapes ... so one day they will be "ancient history" ... with digital streaming and storage.

I have not looked at Walmart or Amazon lately (for years) to see what VHS machines are still for sale. I have a new one sitting in storage and a few blank tapes but I don't see myself ever hooking the unit up. Probably was foolish to buy and store one away for the "future" ... when it really belongs to the past.

10 hours ago, monroe said:

I have not looked at Walmart or Amazon lately (for years) to see what VHS machines are still for sale.

Mainly one model exists and is made by Funai for brands like Toshiba and Sanyo. If you look at them, they're pretty much visually identical except for different name brands. I bought a Toshiba badged version about 5 years ago and it still gets regular use but I bought it not just for the VCR in it which works quite well actually, but because it was a DVD Recorder. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a tough time finding DVD Recorders that are standalone units anymore. Of course I'm the kind that likes to buy stuff from a store rather than online but going to the stores around my area and either I find just regular DVD players which in my opinion are quite despicable from when they were first released as far as quality and build is concerned, or you find the combo machines.

Going back to the beginning of my post, sometimes you will find machines that aren't DVD Recorder/VCR combos but just regular DVD player/VCR combos but if you're looking for the recorder unit, that's where most of them are completely identical.

I actually still own three combo units and 1 stand alone VCR but I don't really use the VCR very much like I used to but then I rarely record anything since there's nothing worthwhile on TV to record anymore.

I bought this Magnavox DVD Recorder in Aug 2011 at Walmart ... it has been used heavy and makes perfect super clear recordings still five years later. Whatever you see on the screen is what the recorded DVD looks like. I mostly use the 2 hour time mode ... which is good for about 2 hr and 10 minutes but there is also a 2 hr 30 min time mode, which also goes some extra minutes ... plus all the standard "extra time" modes, but I never use those modes for lesser quality. I paid around $88 at Walmart in Aug 2011 ... I see there is one for sale at Amazon (new) for $499 but some used ones for $89.

Magnavox ZC320MW8B Progressive Scan DVD±RW Recorder w/Line-in Recording

https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-ZC320MW8B-Progressive-Recorder-Recording/dp/B00773DB4A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469960340&sr=1-2&keywords=magnavox+dvd+recorder+zc320mw8b

I had thought of buying an extra one to have for a backup but this Magnavox product seems to have been well made or I just got lucky. It's kept covered with a towel so it looks as it did 5 years ago... very little dust inside. I'd be hard pressed to find a replacement ... I never play DVDs to watch with this machine ... only turn it on to record something. I use a simple Philips DVD player for that. I keep the motor and laser off as much as possible on the Magnavox but it has still been on for many, many hours.

I've had other DVD recorders that never lasted a year.

Just to mention about DVD Players ... bought this from Amazon many years back ... it was new and a very popular product at the time. Around $39 new with free shipping ... it can be set to region free and also plays PAL DVDs from Europe ... will also play .avi files. After I got the the first one ... I decided to get one more as a backup replacement.

Philips DVP3560 DVD Player with 1080p HDMI Upscaling & Multimedia DiX - Black

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP3560-Player-Upscaling-Multimedia/dp/B003LWXJ2A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469962217&sr=1-2&keywords=phillips+dvd+dvp3560

As you said it's hard to find some nice units today ... another well made product by Philips or I just got lucky ... it does deliver a nice picture.

It seems that in 2010 and 2011 there were still many products to choose from for players and recorders at a decent price ... today that seems to be not the case, at least with DVD recorders.

I read this article several years back ... I see it has been updated as of July 02, 2016.

The Case of the Disappearing DVD Recorder

DVD Recorders Are No Longer Practical For Recording TV Programs and Movies

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdbasics/qt/the_case_of_the_disappearing_dvd_recorder.htm

By Robert Silva

Updated July 02, 2016.

DVD Recorders Are Getting Scarce

Have you shopped for a DVD Recorder recently and have found slim-pickins' on store shelves? It is not your imagination. While DVD recorders are still available in other parts of the World and Blu-ray Disc recorders are available in Japan and are being introduced in several other markets, the U.S. is being left out of the video disc-based recording equation; on purpose.

However, contrary to what you might think, it is not all the fault of LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and other Asian-based consumer electronics manufacturers. After all, they would love to sell as many DVD and Blu-ray Disc recorders as possible to anyone who wants to buy one.

The real reason that DVD recorders are scarce in the U.S., and Blu-ray Disc recorders are non-existent, can be squarely laid at the foot of the U.S. movie studios, cable/satellite providers, and TV broadcasters, which place restrictions on video recording that make the continued selling new DVD recorders, let alone providing access to standalone Blu-ray Disc recorders, in the U.S. consumer market an increasingly unprofitable venture.

Copy-Protection and Recording Cable/Satellite Programming

Most consumers buy a DVD recorder to record TV programs for later viewing. So how are movie studios and cable/satellite program providers conspiring to limit your access to such video recording? The implementation of a copy-protection scheme that severely restricts what you can record and how you can record it.

For example, HBO and several other cable and network programmers copy-protect most of their programs (sometimes on a random basis). The type of copy protection that they use (referred to as "Record Once") allows an initial recording to a temporary storage device (such as to a hard drive of a DVD recorder/Hard Drive combo, a cable DVR, TIVO, but not necessarily to a permanent storage format, such as DVD).

In addition, once you have made your recording to a cable DVR, TIVO, or Hard Drive, you are restricted from making a copy of the initial recording to DVD or VHS.

In other words, while you can make a recording to a temporary storage format, such as DVR-type device, you cannot make a "hard copy" onto DVD to add to your permanent collection. "Record Once" means recording once on a temporary storage medium, not to a hard copy, such as DVD.

As a result, consumers are finding out quickly that their DVD recorders and DVD Recorder/VHS combo units are unable to record programs from HBO or other premium channels, and definitely not Pay-Per-View or On-Demand programming ("Record Never"), due to the types of copy-protection employed to restrict recording onto DVD. This has also filtered into some of the non-premium cable channels.

The fact that you are not able to use a DVD recorder to record a lot of TV programming anymore isn't the fault of the DVD recorder or the DVD recorder manufacturer; it is the enforcement of copy-protection schemes required by the movie studios and other content providers. This state of affairs is backed up legal court rulings. It is a "Catch 22". Although you have the right to record a TV program, the content owners and providers also have the legal right to protect copyrighted content from being recorded. As a result, the ability to make a hard-copy recording may be prevented.

TECH NOTE: There is no way around the "Record Once" copy-protection scheme used by broadcasters and cable/satellite providers unless you use a DVD Recorder that can record on a DVD-RW disc in VR Mode or a DVD-RAM format disc that is CPRM compatible (look on the package). However, keep in mind that DVD-RW VR Mode or DVD-RAM recorded discs are not playable on most DVD players (just Panasonic and few others - refer to user manuals).

The Cable/Satellite DVR Factor

As mentioned above, cable/satellite DVRs, and TIVO do allow recording of most content (except for pay-per-view and on-demand programming). However, since the recordings are made on a hard drive instead of a disc, they are not permanently saved (unless you have an extremely large hard drive). This is acceptable to movie studios and other content providers as further copies of the hard drive recording cannot be made - and once the hard drive is full, the consumer has to decide what to delete in order to recover more storage space for additional recordings.

This state of affairs is also a profit center for cable/Satellite service providers as they can lease or rent DVRs and also offer video "on demand" services that they can charge their subscribers. Since the DVR is required in order to record "Record Once" programming, the consumer is locked into this added expense if the they want the ability to record many of the of their favorite shows and movies.

Of course, if you own the increasingly scarce DVD recorder/Hard Drive combination, you should be able to record your program onto the Hard Drive of the DVD Recorder/Hard Drive Combo, but if copy-protection is implemented within the program, you will be prevented from making a copy of your hard drive recording to DVD.

The Streaming Factor

Also, another big factor lessening the demand for DVD recorders (and probably the last-nail-in-the-coffin), is streaming. With streaming services, such as Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, and others, including HBO (HBOGo and HBONow), and Showtime (Showtime Anytime), it is fairly convenient to find and view not only recently broadcast content, but "binge watch" entire seasons of many TV series, without the need to record them.

Streaming TV shows and movies is especially easy to if you have a Smart TV or Internet-enabled Blu-ray Disc player if even if you don't own one those devices - there is also an abundance of inexpensive add-on media streamers that you can connect to non-smart TV that can do the job. Roku even makes a media streamer that can be connected to older TVs that may only have composite AV input (Roku 1 - Buy From Amazon.

The convenience of internet streaming lessens the need to record those programs onto DVD for future viewing, thus saving a lot of shelf space. Less demand for DVD recording, is another dis-incentive for manufacturers to continue to make DVD recorders.

Where are the Blu-ray Disc Recorders?

There are no current plans to market standalone Blu-ray Disc recorders for consumers in the U.S market. One factor contributing to this state of affairs is the increasing use of TIVO and Cable/Satellite DVRs in the U.S., which is perceived by Asian-based manufacturers potential competitive hurdle in the success of Blu-ray as a recording option.

In addition, copy-protection concerns and potential piracy have the movie studios, content creators, and cable/satellite/over-the-air TV broadcasters "paranoid" about mainstream consumers having the ability to record high definition video content that can be saved in permanent hard-copy format, such as Blu-ray Disc.

Video copy-protection and the DVR factor are the main reasons why standalone Blu-ray Disc recorders are not available in the U.S., although they are plentiful in Japan and available in other select markets, such as parts of Europe, the UK, and Australia. Manufacturers simply don't want to hassle the expense of complying with the recording restrictions imposed in the U.S. market.

For more details on the Blu-ray Disc Recorder issue, read my article: Are There Blu-ray Disc Recorders?

A Final Word

Although not all TV, cable, and satellite programming is affected by "Record Once" or "Record Never" copy-protection schemes, enabling limited use of a DVD recorder (although you often won't know until you find out if the program was able to be recorded), the era of widespread video recording of TV, cable and satellite programs onto a tape or disc format is coming to an end.

So next time you go shopping for a DVD Recorder, don't be surprised at the slim-pickins. It is all part of the "plan".

If you are still looking for a DVD recording device, you can check out what may still be available either new or used, in the following, periodically updated listings:

Best DVD Recorders (includes DVD Recorder/Hard Drive Combos, if they are available).

Best DVD Recorder/VHS VCR Combinations

With DVD recorders fading into sunset, find out what alternatives are now available in lieu of recording onto DVD in the report: DVD Recorders Gone, Now What?

Edited by monroe

I was able to find one stand-alone DVD-R machine at a garage sale earlier this year. My reasons for buying it were not because it was a DVD-R, that seemed a novelty for me. Instead it was because it could play VCD, something that none of my players were able to do. I still would like to find a dual-deck VCR at some point.

I'm still on the fence regarding the longevity of writable optical media (CD/DVD-R) since I have had some discs go bad or experience bronzing. So far, no VHS I have recorded on has gone bad in an even longer time period. Of course, I will always prefer retail videos and it does not matter to me what format they are in. I would just want to have a way to play them. Two media types I have but am not interested in getting a player for are Super 8 and CED. I do want to get a Beta player, I have some tapes that I would like to be able to watch. Those older media type machines are in a phase of nostalgia, and their prices reflect that. VCRs and VHS are not there yet due to the sheer amount of players and tapes that can be found in the secondary market. It is only the specialized players that have any sort of value.

The Beta machine I had was a really neat machine ... I wish I had kept it ... it was like new. One of the selling points (as I remember) for Beta tapes ... they were the size of a paper back book and would fit in your pocket ... the VHS tapes being a little longer. Also, the Beta machines were supposed to put less "stress" on the tape when being run in the machine ... but the VHS machine could go 6 hours of recording ... because there was more tape on the larger VHS cassette compared to the smaller Beta cassette. I think that is why the VHS system was more popular in the US and Beta was always number one in Japan and maybe other parts of Asia.

Yes, I remember the VCDs ... I only own two of them ... films that were not on DVD at the time. This department store years ago where I used to live had many of those VCDs for sale ... I bought those two and intended to go back and get maybe 10 or 20 more titles. I finally got back to the store in a month or two and all the VCDs were gone. They were $5 each as I remember ... so either they all sold out fast or the store just got rid of them ... DVDs were becoming more available.

I do have a rather large DVD collection from years back ... the bad news is that I was paying way too much money back then ... when there are $5 DVD bins at Wallmart today. There are two second hand stores in my area with "used" DVDs going for $2 and maybe $1 with a special clearance sale going on. Just boxes of DVDs, everything mixed up ... there may be a few films in those boxes that I would like but I only went to the one store once and after going through 4 or 5 boxes, I had to leave ... just too much.

I have some DVDs that have gone up in value and many from 10 yrs ago are cheaper today and still available. Some are out of print.

I always wanted this set of the TV version of "The Lost World" ... there were three seasons and in 2013 I finally decided to get all three DVD sets ... before they were gone and "maybe" started going up in price.

I got Season 1 and Season 2 for around $20 to $25 dollars ... Season 3 was on "backorder" with Amazon. A week after I ordered all three seasons ... I got Season 1 and 2 ... but something was happening and prices just started moving up ... to around $50 for each season ... the prices just kept increasing ... I still had my order for Season 3 with Amazon on "backorder" ... there was an Amazon seller selling Season 3 ... brand new for around $24. I think a lot of Amazon sellers got caught of guard with the price jump.

For three days I had a chance to get Season 3 for that price of $24 and then it was gone ... either someone bought it quick or the seller discovered what was happening with the price jumps of all three seasons and cancelled the sale.

I had a "price lock in" with Amazon for around $20 but it was on "backorder" ... about three months later Amazon cancelled my order, with no e-mail ... no explanation. I know the reason was simply, the supply of the DVD sets were gone and no further production was planned.

I could have had Season 3 but I miss read the "backorder" and price lock from Amazon ... I thought they would get some more sets to fill orders ... I messed up big time.

I just checked to see what I paid for Season 1 and Season 2 at Amazon ... Season 1 was $14.00 + $3.99 shipping ($17.99 total) and Season 2 was $23.77 which included shipping.

Here are the prices as of today at Amazon (now) ... of course they change at times with sellers ... supply and demand !

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_14?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=the+lost+world+tv+series&sprefix=the+lost+world%2Cmovies-tv%2C339&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3Athe+lost+world+tv+series

Season 1 : $199.99

Season 2 : $249.99

Season 3 : $200.59

Season 3 ... I had my shot for three days in 2013 to get that set for around $25 ... give or take ... but I do have Season 2 ... it always seems to have the higher price over Season 1 and Season 3.

So a "heads up" if anyone has these DVD sets stored in a box somewhere in the garage or a hot attic ... treat them like "gold".

Just to add about the Philips DVD Player that I mentioned two posts back ... it does play VCDs or Video CDs.

From the description with the manufacturer:

Video Playback

Playback Media: CD, CD-R/CD-RW, Video CD/SVCD, DVD, DivX, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD-Video
Compression formats: MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, DivX Ultra

I did not know that all DVD Players do not play VCDs in today's world ... I guess they are a thing of the past that a newer machine no longer plays them.

Edited by monroe

I remember that old cable boxes were that way also... but neither of the VCRs I have will make the blinking time. My upstairs one turns off the LCD iirc (the entire thing is hidden away, I might be wrong) and my regular one will say 12:00 but it doesn't blink. The regular one, I use in my 4:3 movie setup, does not stay powered on. I turn the whole setup off at the power strip when I am not using it.