Windows 7 spontaneously failed to boot

Torchizard

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted here. I am currently experiencing a weird issue with Windows 7 not wanting to boot on a ~3 week old build. Here's what happened:

This morning, my PC took a while longer to POST and came up with a message about failing to boot and resetting the config back to default. I did that and continued on with the bootup process ...untill the Grub recovery console came up (no such partition), which is weird since I didn't install grub (but the SSD might still have the remains from the legacy mode install that the SSD was previously in).

So I  went back into the UEFI setup and,  of course, the "Storage boot option control" setting changed to the default of "legacy only" so I changed it to "UEFI only". However, that did not fix the issue. I checked with a Ubuntu live CD and the partition exists and all the files are there too.

Does anyone have any idea about how I could get Windows to boot correctly again?

Additional info: The OS was in a Hibernated state (ie. has a full hiberfile.sys)

Edit: Should also probably add that this is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 motherboard.

Edited by Torchizard