XP MCE 2005 post-SP3 updates

Hi,

I've installed XP MCE 2005 today, because I thought it would be fine to play with multimedia capabilities of that sh** OS and replace existing XP Pro installation. I stuck after the install of SP3, however. After that I can't find any updates for it through Automatic Updates and WU by IE. Let me explain what I did:

1. Installed XP MCE 2005.

2. Installed .NET 1.1 from CD.

3. Installed Update 2 KB900325.

4. Installed Polish langpack.

5. WU didn't work, repaired it by installing WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

6. WU started working, after installing three updates by IE WU site - KB898461, WGA and Installer 3.1, the site has stopped working - error 0x80072eff.

7. After reboot, I've installed 82 or 81 updates by AU, reboot and after that AU prompted me to install SP3.

8. After that AU found only one update, yes only one, KB975560.

9. I've even added the POSready data into the registry, but even it don't work.

Is it all, what the MCE 2005 could get? Only ONE update in 8 years?

On 7/30/2016 at 6:45 PM, sanszajnrege said:

5. WU didn't work, repaired it by installing WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

6. WU started working, after installing three updates by IE WU site - KB898461, WGA and Installer 3.1, the site has stopped working - error 0x80072eff.

7. After reboot, I've installed 82 or 81 updates by AU, reboot and after that AU prompted me to install SP3.

8. After that AU found only one update, yes only one, KB975560.

5. Too old. There's a newer one to get to the new MS WSUS Servers (they change over a while back). http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/9907-official-windows-update-agent-767600320/

6. "The error code 0x80072EFF means ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_RESET." The Server is busy.

7. AFTER reboot? By AU??? (see #6).

8. Um-kay...

9. -EDIT- That will screw you up! POS trick is ONLY for Standard XP Pro. MCE is a SPECIALIZED edition for "specific" hardware.

MCE2005 should already be at SP2. BTW, MCE2005 is just an "update" to MCE2004. -EDIT- MCE2005 is "Symphony" and stands alone (above MCE2004) and the UR2 pulls you to MCE2005 "Emerald". Theoretically, SP3 should have been offered next. BTW, MCE2005 should have automatically installed dotNet (AFAIK), so why would you install it from the folder? -EDIT2 (all of the following)- It appears that "Symphony" automatically installs dotNetv1.0.3 (v1.0 SP3) - that's what's in the "CMPNENTS\NETFX\I386\NETFX.CAB" (basically, v1.0 with the KB867461 "merged"). So, you installed dotNETv1.1 (and the NDPSP.EXE, which was v1.1-SP1), which WAS correct. Now, the UR2 would be Emerald and SHOULD have been a little bit less than 30mb. The procedure you used was confirmed against my Dell MCE2005+UR2 DVD (it has extra "goodies" in the OEM folder).

Anyhow, SP3 should have been the very next thing, aside from any dotNet updates. Currently do *not* have MCE2005 (Dell-branded) installed, so I'm afraid I won't be able to make heads/tails of your "problem".

Directly download IE8 and install it as well. WU doesn't like IE6 much anymore. -EDIT- And install that LATEST WUA as well.

Edited by submix8c

If you mean XP Home, no. One can add the POS trick onto XP Home all right, and it just works. As for XP MCE 2005, I've no experience with it, so I don't know.

BTW, Jody: you surely meant "bad news", not "back news", right? :unsure:

• 1 month later...
On 11.08.2016 at 7:40 AM, Dibya said:

nothing wrong in using pos trick over mce

apply usp4 by harkaz

As far as I know, the USP4 is only compatible with EN XP. Is there any option to install it on Polish XP? I would like to not download tons of updates after installation of XP SP3, or more of them in XP MCE 2005 SP2.