Man Spends $18,000 in Contest - Now a Multimillionaire

Monroe

This is one big contest payoff. First of all, I never heard of Jet.com but Walmart just purchased Jet.com for $3.3 billion ... it will take on Amazon.

So this guy enters a contest not too long ago ... and wins the contest prize of 100,000 shares of Jet common stock. Now his worth is between ten and twenty million dollars.

From the article below:

"More than a year ago, Martin had won a contest prize of 100,000 shares of Jet common stock. Now, his stake is worth between $10 and million and $20 million, according to news reports.

Last January, Martin saw a news story about Jet.com, and wound up participating in a program that offered stock options to people who got others to sign up for membership in Jet.com. He spent about $18,000 on online ads that led to 8,000 referrals and the top prize of 100,000 stock options, according to ydr.com."

Walmart turns midstate man into multimillionaire

David Wenner
August 10, 2016

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/08/eric_martin_york_jetcom.html?ath=44e4e33060be73ef8412534509af4620#cmpid=nsltr_herostryheadline_single

An act of well-informed risk-taking has paid off big for Eric Martin of York County.

It led to the 30-year-old York Township resident getting in on the ground floor of Jet.com, an online shopping venture and would-be rival of Amazon.com.

Now, Walmart's purchase of Jet for $3.3 billion has made Martin rich.

More than a year ago, Martin had won a contest prize of 100,000 shares of Jet common stock. Now, his stake is worth between $10 and million and $20 million, according to news reports.

According to Business Insider, "Martin says that he has no big celebration plans today, besides perhaps buying some snow crab legs to eat with his family for dinner. He doesn't know yet what he'll do with the money long-term either, but says he's already received a couple of texts joking that he'll need to get a new security system."

Business Insider quoted Martin as saying, "I've told my wife in the past that someday we'll go to Thailand again, because she grew up there, so now that will definitely happen eventually ... Our kids are one and three right now, so it's kind of awkward timing. Other than that, I'll have to think about it."

According to a 2015 profile by ydr.com, Martin works in IT and has a self-professed "history of having wild ideas and trying them."

Last January, Martin saw a news story about Jet.com, and wound up participating in a program that offered stock options to people who got others to sign up for membership in Jet.com. He spent about $18,000 on online ads that led to 8,000 referrals and the top prize of 100,000 stock options, according to ydr.com.

Martin's previous "wild ideas" include an unsuccessful run for U.S. Congress in the race eventually won by Scott Perry, according to ydr.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the Walmart - Jet.com story.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=walmart+buys+jet.com

2 days ago ...

Walmart Agrees to Acquire Jet.com, One of the Fastest Growing e-Commerce Companies in the U.S.

http://news.walmart.com/2016/08/08/walmart-agrees-to-acquire-jetcom-one-of-the-fastest-growing-e-commerce-companies-in-the-us

Edited by monroe

OK ... you are correct, I have seen those ads but never paid too much attention to them. I thought they were on the side of stupid.

So that's what Walmart just bought ... another chance to make a few dollars lost on my part ! This ought to be some battle ... Walmart and Amazon.

This is their first ad I guess ... with the purple smoke. Just saw an ad play last week.

Jet.com Literally Blows Minds in Inaugural TV Ad

http://creativity-online.com/work/jetcom-mindblowing/43164