glnz

Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component could not modify 137 protected registry keys during installation or update of Office 365

48 posts in this topic

GL - Your advice is quite wise.

But I am not.

I thought I'd try a "lesser" repair by right-click-repairing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Integration\C2RInt.16.msi , which is an installer (maybe the installer) for the Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component that is generating the warnings.

The repair ran very briefly and that created again the same 41 Warnings as an "Update Now" of Word.   Just now.  Back to square one.

I see in the Warnings in eventvwr that "Source" is "MsiInstaller", not "TrustedInstaller".

Hmmm.

Is there a way to add "MsiInstaller" to the Registry keys and then give it Full Control permission?  The Registry Keys already list TrustedInstaller and give it Full Control, but "MsiInstaller" is not mentioned in any of them.

Look, if I win the Nobel, we can share it.

Posted (edited)

No, MsiInstaller is a different thing, an EventLog source. It's not an "entity" in the security sense to give it permissions. So it's case #2, broken installer that breaks the registry.

In any case, I doubt you should run the installer from that location (Program Files), unless you are trying to uninstall it (which I strongly suggest you try, because I think nobody needs that).

I can't do quotes in this editor properly, so I'll just try to paste, if that works:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_other/what-is-office-16-click-to-run-extensibility/ebffe8d7-ac9c-4a88-bf1b-3d7cd402848d

Things like Windows Desktop Search integration, the OneNote Printer Driver, Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs), and Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) are things no normal user should ever need. They are bloat aimed to drag you into Microsoft dependency, which would be the case if they were slightly useful, which they are not.

It's another thing if Office doesn't work without them (as I read that version 15 breaks 32-bit Office if uninstalled), but there is some chance it won't break. You could (have) tested this if you tried to run your Office programs after uninstalling it, but before reinstalling it. But it's not too late to try again. Better way would be to use Add/remove programs and uninstall only the Extensibility Component, or use Nirsoft's MyUninstaller to find it among all possible entries.

Otherwise, the way to fix it is to make a bug report to Microsoft or edit the .msi with Orca or similar tool, both tedious tasks.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi
typos (and a lots of them)

New update on April 16, 2017 -

Nothing has ever worked to stop the "cannot modify the protected key" warnings.  The new Update Now yesterday to this O365 Home generated the same 41 Warnings.

So, today, after first creating a restore point, I DELETED the 41 keys, then went to Control Panel -- Programs and Features -- right-clicked Microsoft Office 365-en us and did a Repair - Online.

No help.  In fact, it caused new problems, so I Restored from the restore point and went back to where I was.

What in tarnation is "protecting" those keys?

Ideas?