FreeCad, W2k, KernelEx?

Hello dear friends!

I'd like to use FreeCad (a 3D CAD meant to be complete and free, presenly v0.15, beware 170MB installer plus 80MB manual) on a plain vanilla offline W2k. The installation goes without complaint but the application fails because Kernel32.dll doesn't offer the necessary entry points. This looks like a perfect use for KernelEx or KDW or some family member.

But how should I proceed for this single application? Paste one or several improved dll in the application's folder? In System32? Or do I need deeper changes, which I'd prefer to avoid? Thank you!

3 hours ago, pointertovoid said:

But how should I proceed for this single application? Paste one or several improved dll in the application's folder? In System32? Or do I need deeper changes

*Sometimes* pasting a dll with the correct entries will work, but often times than now, it'll start calling for even more entries simply because Windows 2000 doesn't have them in its system files. This is particularly true if you use dll files from Windows XP. If you can, use an application like dependency walker that'll tell you what extensions you're missing and post them here for blackwingcat. He might be able to add what you need to KernelEx as long as it doesn't require a bunch of different edits.

Calling for more entries in other dll: yes, I got that from my Win98 time, and decided then not to do it again. I have a feeling that this would be stealing intellectual property (well, I have Xp licenses too) and also that MS has taken steps to hinder users in this attempt.

That why I consider BWC's udpdate, yes. Freecad installs and runs on Xp, officially and experimentally, and to my understanding, BWC provides all XP dll entry points in his extensions, so detailing the used entry points shouldn't be necessary. Just a matter of what extended dll to install where and how, or at least I hope so.

You can also check the dependencies with ImportPatcher. If only a few are missing, you might even be able to patch them well enough to run the app.

I just now successfully tested ImportPatcher41 on my XP system, so it should work on 2K as well. It's not just for 9x!

• 4 weeks later...

I tried shortly to add the extra dll of several wrappers in the FreeCad folder (and all subfolder) and it improved nothing.

But meanwhile KernelEx v1.8g installed with limited effort and lets FreeCad (3D) and LibreCad (2D) run, so I'll put my time on that option.