Can't browse to sourceforge.net using IE or FF

Nomen

I'm fooling around with my custom install of Win-7 with all kb's and drivers rolled in using RT7, and so far so good.  I've installed FF 38.something ESR, and updated IE to version 10 with security rollup.  Web-browsing is working, but for some reason both FF and IE can't bring up sourceforge.net. Typing www.sourceforge.net into the location bar directs to https sourceforge.net, but FF says "unable to connect" and IE says "this page can't be displayed".  Funny how I can bring up sourceforge.net on my win-98 system using either opera 12 or FF2.  I've checked nslookup sourceforge.net and the IP matches (win-98 and the win-7 machine) so this isin't a name-resolution problem.  And now the FF on the win-7 system has updated itself (even though I didn't want it to) to v45.3 and still it can't bring up sourceforge.net.  What's going on here?

Well, besides thinking that RT7 is the problem if you did any tweaks or removals with it whatsoever, unless you were absolutely positive that you knew from personal experience exactly what each one did and it has worked successfully for you in the recent past, you could try the following:

Download a portable version of yet another browser, maybe either one of the Chrome variants or Pale Moon, or whatever, completely stock with absolutely no extensions installed.  Make sure you don't have any other browser open at all and see if you can get to SourceForge using the portable browser.  If you can, then the problem is a browser setting or extension.  If not, then it has nothing to do with the browser, but instead it's an OS issue. This is assuming that your Win98 machine is on the same home network, which should eliminate a router or external problem.  If all systems use the same DNS provider, then it's not that.  If you have all extensions disabled in both IE and FF, then it's not those.  Do you use the same AV for both OS with the same settings and both updated the same?  If so then it's not that. That pretty much narrows it down to a HOST or maybe a service setting?  That's what comes to mind to test.  If you still have a problem, then I'm probably missing something simple to tell you which someone else will immediately think of. :) [Or it's something that RT7 did. :( ]

Good Luck!

Cheers and Regards

Arrrgh.  The hosts file that I created for this system, taken from a few different sources, included "sourceforge.net" but not "www.sourceforge.net".  Hence the ability for dns to resolve one and not the other.