Turn off Windows 10 phoning home to Microsoft services

xpclient

If anyone uses Microsoft Windows Bob 10 :lol:, they might find this guide useful: Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services It covers the official s*** that tries to phone home to provide "enhanced services" half of which you may have no use for.

Edited by xpclient

Nice link - thanks.

>"enhanced services" half of which you may have no use for.

Half?  Does Microsoft have ANYTHING useful to offer?  I think the only thing, now that the Anniversary Update dust has mostly settled here, is that I let Windows Defender contact Microsoft for definitions updates.  I guess I do occasionally check for Win 10 Windows Updates, but not often.  I tried setting up a VM that would support Apps, but I found running Windows with UAC off unacceptable.

Some things I've found useful in the "Windows, STFU" arena:

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

May I also suggest Group Policy edits that can also rein in Telemetry?

Disclaimer: Following my advice will render Feedback Hub unusable, and can be used even with Home which is why I'll show both methods for the same switch.

If you are a Windows Insider, please do not follow through. If Insiders wish to stem Telemetry, you should disenroll from the Insider program first.

Registry method: All Windows types

telemetry.jpg.07d2ec05d04ff4ef6948cc57643a8102.jpg

Group Policy Method: Professional/Enterprise, Education & Ultimate

gpedit-header.jpg.9c08be86eda05e8e65163758fa5a7903.jpggpedit-ender.jpg.18507cd30d5f7d10fe3ec2d483de904a.jpg

0 - Nothing

1 - Basic

2 - Enhanced

3 - Full (Insiders must select this option to contribute feedback or Feedback Hub will tell you to leave.)

Edited by sonikdart1990
Forgot to define parameters

Configuring overt settings is fun, but it needs more to be completely shut up online.

I've gotten the OS quiet, long-term, but a few applications - e.g., Visual Studio - do try to send telemetry regardless.  For that I have DNS blacklists and the firewall in place.

-Noel

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

Configuring overt settings is fun, but it needs more to be completely shut up online.

I've gotten the OS quiet, long-term, but a few applications - e.g., Visual Studio - do try to send telemetry regardless.  For that I have DNS blacklists and the firewall in place.

-Noel

You have a point. Telemetry is often on a per app basis, although I feel the OS collects the most data given it lords over every app anyway.