Windows 10 Regressions

NoelC

I think maybe xpclient started a topic like this once, but I don't see it, so...

Please list the things Windows 10 doesn't do FOR YOU as well as it used to, and which make Windows 10 simply unacceptable for you to use.

It would be cool if you'd list any workarounds you've found/implemented as well...

Here's a brief start, with the most obvious things from my list:

• The ATI folks have dumbed down their display drivers they're preparing for Windows 10 so that functionality I found essential (per-channel color calibration and preset management) is just missing.  Since I develop color-managed software I have a need for a very configuration, and I cannot achieve it with Win 10.  There is a rumor that the drivers for a MUCH more expensive workstation graphics card still offer these features, but those drivers traditionally lag behind those for the mainstream cards, and probably will eliminate the features sooner or later.

• Microsoft keeps releasing updates or upgrades that revert key things and cause new problems.  Huge numbers of settings/tweaks, including some privacy settings, got reverted during the 10586 and 14393 upgrades, yet even small things get reverted during updates.  For example, I absolutely DON'T want "Desktop" showing up under "This PC" in Explorer, yet back it comes after a Windows Update.

• The desktop "flat, borderless, lifeless" look and feel, well, there's no other way to put it:  Sucks.  Even beyond the aesthetics, who thinks borderless windows actually work right?  Have you seen the edge of a window just showing behind the edge of a borderless window, and want to click it but can't?  Aero Glass for Win 8+ helps a lot with the aesthetics, but it doesn't re-theme the controls.  A 3rd party theme would probably help, but I haven't taken the time to figure out what works yet.  The worst of it is that these things get re-broken by Microsoft on a regular basis, so finding an acceptable tweak isn't permanent.  And I'm sorry, but their default look and feel isn't usable.

I have many more things on my list, but these will serve to get things started.

What can't you live with?  Don't hold back!

-Noel

Well, to be fair to the good MS guys :w00t:, they have made it so all your customers will soon also have no way to fine tune their screens colours, so they won't notice that, they are actually doing a favour to you...

And soon everyone will get used to the dumbed down settings and looks, unfortunately, and the few guys that know what they are doing and that still resist will likely become - before or later - so overwhelmed by needing to periodically re-revert the changes that MS reverted to default that they will leave the UI to the stupid, ugly default.

Also, listing everything that is wrong with Windows 10 would make a looong list, maybe it will be easier to list what they got right. ;)

jaclaz

There is some things I don't like in Windows 10 and turn experience into a nightmare:

- Taskbar's XAML parts and non-customization, we can't theme the taskbar with a custom theme, there is StartIsBack which partially restore it but not totally (you can't change some parts) and I can't use it since it just do some conflicts with Classic Shell (I prefer the later much more than the former in terms of features but Classic Shell taskbar customization options are just not usable). The second point (XAML parts) is just unacceptable for me: the stupid delay for opening jump list, it was instant on Windows 7 and 8.x but it's too much slower on 10. Since I reduce any delays I can I just don't like those hardcoded ones.

- Second point, the stupid RAM compression introduced in 10. I don’t know if it's just me but on all my Windows 10 test systems or VM I have this problem: the System process just eat more and more RAM. If you have enough RAM it will not be so much problematic but on some systems with less RAM it can take nearly all the RAM and when you launch some software it will just slow down the whole system because it will not have enough RAM (just a reboot can clear the system process RAM usage). I have never found anything useful which can disable this non-sense or reduce the problem. I have test this on a Skylake PC (yes, those which were 10-only some months ago for ms) and I have this problem, on some older PCs also and I don't know what can cause this issues since it appears to not be hardware-related (even on a stock Windows 10 without any customizations/tweaks I have noticed this bug)…

Edited by MTDirector

More...

• Every new update brings more processes that seem to need to run just to support doing nothing.  Prior to the "Anniversary Update" (build 14393) I had 42 processes on an empty desktop with just Process Hacker 2 or Task Manager running (to list/count the processes).  Now with build 14393 it's 46 to 48.

• Intrusive things like Cortana can't be removed without doing backflips.  And jaclaz is right, those backflips are becoming more and more tiresome.  If only Win 10 brought some "must have" functionality we'd keep doing those flips but frankly I'm losing interest.

-Noel

While we're talking, here are some personal gripes I have with the latest Windows 10 AU (and Windows 10 in general):

- When you don't have the default apps installed, new entries on the start menu freeze, and the only way to unfreeze them is to log off or restart Explorer

- Im my OS language (Portuguese of Portugal) the Downloads folder is named "Transferências", as it was since Vista, but Edge changes the name of the folder to the English default "Downloads", messing up with the visual organization I have on Explorer (8.1, 8.0, 7 and Vista NEVER did this)

- This:

winver.JPG

- Apps don't completely replace the Win32 counterpart, making their existence useless and irritating (for me atleast). Example: Groove Music plays MP3 files, Windows Media Player plays everything Groove does plus midis and other weird formats. Why should I have Groove occupying space, when Media Player serves me better, and with no crashes?

- Apps crash at random without any kind of warning. Win32 programs crash and then give you a log, or a message of sorts.

- You are not given the option to uninstall OneDrive and remove it from the Explorer, even if you're using a local account

- App defaults are usually changed to the ones Windows wants. I use SumatraPDF as my PDF reader, but Windows 10 thinks it's a malicious app, so it kindly restored the default to Edge... How nice of them!

I'm not even including the privacy or other control downgrades, or I would be here all day. Case in point: Windows 8.1 is the best OS Microsoft has done (with tweaks) :D

Windows 10 is fully compatible with my netbook (like the older OSes since XP), but there is a regression that's specific to this system.

It's impossible to move files and folders within the memories of an Android smartphone, making impossible to reorder your music and your photos as you want

The device is always busy :w00t:

Immagine.png

Windows XP doesn't have this bug :w00t:

Edited by Agorima
Adding words

The two basic things that I don't like in Windows 10 is the spying by Microsoft itself and the updating system that constantly changes the OS to something "new", different from what you bought and adopted (if you did). As for the best Microsoft Windows OS I vote for Windows 8, anyway Windows 8 and 8.1 are not so much different (the biggest difference is that Windows 8.1 is still "supported" by Microsoft, I don't know if this is a good thing anymore).

For me the entire OS - every major and minor change is a regression. Cortana is worse than the old menu search, the Taskbar changes are awful, Explorer changes are bad, and there doesn't seem to be any major technical improvement that Windows 8.1 doesn't have. I can't find any positives at all - nothing that is really a big improvement. Probably only the RemoteFX vGPU in Client Hyper-V - but then Client Hyper-V remains crippled overall compared to what Windows Server gives you. The Cast To functionality in Windows 10 is genuinely improved over 8.1 and actually works with a wide range of DLNA and Miracast receiver devices, TVs etc. The Spotlight feature of showing random new beautiful images from Bing on the Lockscreen is very nice but then 8.1 has Lockscreen Slideshow. Or you can just use a nice Photos screensaver which would work on Windows 7 as well. :P

The problems with Windows 10 are far too serious. We have a broken OS updating mechanism now that abuses your internet bandwidth, changes things on your PC however it wants, whenever it wants, downloads unwanted crap from the Store, shows annoying nags. Action Center is just one more headache to manage and clear all the notifications after reading them. Lots of stuff happening behind the scenes which I cannot control. Even if I can control updates somewhat by setting my Wifi to metered, I have no idea how big they are, what exactly are they going to change because many of the changes are undocumented, and so many of my customized tweaks get reset. I don't want to be bothered by large updates frequently so Windows as a Service is a complete deal-breaker. And then the UI which is still a disaster.

For me, Windows 10 is a very strong case of negatives overwhemlingly outweighing any positives.

Edited by xpclient

A funny thing happened the other day...

I have a system that's running Win 7 whose role is file server.  But since it's another hardware system I sometimes use it for testing my OpenGL graphics software.

Since Remote Desktop run on my Win 8.1 workstation doesn't provide RemoteFX, I have always just gone to the console of that Win 7 system to do whatever testing, and the Intel chipset GPU provides the OpenGL acceleration.

One day I left it logged-on and running my software under test.  Coincidentally, when I used RDP to access it later, I absent-mindedly tried using my software and it worked!  So here's a system that when I RDP into it will NOT provide GPU support, yet when the software is started on the local console the GPU support REMAINS FUNCTIONAL even during a later established remote session.  It works perfectly.

Microsoft:  One of the best companies around for making things not work.  On purpose.

-Noel

@MTDirector

try using mem turbo 2, its an old app (can be found still)
but good one

as far as 1st post and w10 concers, I don't think anything will change for better
MS somehow wants to remodel that "OS" to be mobile/tablet, ignoring how many
desktop pc's are being used

its actually sad to see how nobody there even cares or tries to predict
how down the drain they will sink user base

On 2016-09-02 at 1:08 PM, jaclaz said:

Well, to be fair to the good MS guys :w00t:, they have made it so all your customers will soon also have no way to fine tune their screens colours, so they won't notice that, they are actually doing a favour to you...

jaclaz

Haaaaa!  Now there's a clever response (but more true than I might think ...lol)

On 2016-09-02 at 3:47 PM, HarryTri said:

... The biggest difference is that Windows 8.1 is still "supported" by Microsoft, I don't know if this is a good thing anymore.

That's why i prefer Windows 8 and Vista.  They seem to roll beneath Microsoft's radar, but yet Windows 8 stll has a healthy measure of compatibility with modern-day applications.  Vista still tends to run what I want.

Well, sorry to be repetitive...

I am like many others very disappointed with the boring desktop in Windows 10...the excuse that the icons are meant to look good on all platforms and load faster in telephones is just a joke...as I have pointed out before we are getting larger and larger screens and higher resolutions for our computers and all they worry about is a bloody telephone!!

The spying side of this has narked me from the begining and still does...

Windows 10 as shown on many threads isn't any quicker and in many cases slower....!!!

Thousands of computers have just died because of this crap!!

I have had just lots of hassle with Windows 10 even on new computers that come with it preinstalled....just a big pile of s***!!

Please excuse me...ranting again...;)

bookie32

7 hours ago, xman charl said:

get tired of box popping up, ''are you sure you want to....modify....change....allow.''

Just changing the host file, saves changed file in documents folder, can't save normal location.

Charl

The workaround I've found for that is to shun Apps entirely, and set the EnableLUA registry entry to 0.  After a reboot UAC is...  GONE.  Troubles such as you described doing what you want are...  GONE.

BUT...

No Metro/Modern/Universal Apps will run.  Depending on how you look at things, that's a bonus.  But it does represent a serious roadblock because it essentially blocks the only thing Microsoft has worked on since Windows 7.

As far as I can see, there is NO WAY to be completely rid of the subtle restrictions UAC places on you (such as you have described above) if you leave it enabled, even with the slider all the way to the bottom.  That's the price Microsoft feels everyone should pay to be admitted to the world of Apps.

This applies equally to Windows 8.x too, by the way.  I have been running Windows 8.1 this way without problems since 2013.

-Noel