Slow SSD Boot times (New) . Can't figure how to fix, searching for 2 days.

Alexiron

I have went through every post I could find online but nothing helped me.
I got the SSD 1-2 days ago and I still can't find a way to get the booting time under ~32. (A friend of mine has older SSD and restarts in 16 seconds).

Here are the exact seconds :
0-12s : Black Screen
12 - 15: Bios Screen and 15-32 Windows

Few things to clarify :
Clean install.

All other Sata cables removed (And SSD is on 6GB/s sata)

Motherboard is 990xa ud3

Only Graphics Card, Cpu, Fans, SSD plugged.

I think I have updated all the needed drivers. 

p.s There is no fast boot option (not supported)

Edit: Ran Windows 7/8 Tool to find out why this is slow. I got an etl and xml file. Been looking for 30 minutes now and I think I found the problem but I don't know what to do now. Can someone help ? (I will pm you the link)

Edited by Alexiron

• 3 weeks later...

Your Windows takes 17s to start. That's not brilliant, but it's not 32s neither. On the first 15s, the latency and throughput of the SSD has no effect.

The 12s black screen is too long, and from the hardware I know, it results from the graphics card. Some take a long time before they display anything. Apparently, they check their Ram for that long, which is sort of annoying because the Bios works meanwhile and would display interesting information. You could try an other, preferably much older graphics card with a small Ram and observe if the black screen gets shorter (which won't make Windows boot sooner, but let you see more messages from the Bios). Maybe you can modify the options in the graphics card's microcode (and risk a destruction) to avoid completely the Ram check, or find an other graphics card.

Some mobo's Bios can be instructed not to test the main Ram, which takes time, but was a habit years ago. The rest uses to be the response time by the hardware attached to the mobo; some are faster than others, and also, some mobo Bios take longer when they see a new piece of hardware or a known one connected to an unusual port.

Some mobo's Bios are slower. A typical reason is (was) when they integrate microcode parts written by Intel or Amd for Sata or Raid functions. Intel mobos have a faster Bios because these functions integrate better in the startup (and their logic is also simpler for the user). The same holds for added on-board disk hosts (you know, Lsi / Promise / etc.), but these can often be disabled.

As for Win boot time, I have no firm opinion, for having made unexpected observations. It seems that hardware detection is lengthy, more so than software loading, and the culprit would be the attached hardware itself. But in case you access the disks in Pata mode, don't look for other explanations.

"His older Ssd is faster", well, they don't improve linearly. My stone-old X25-E are still among the fastest. I had also seen early Mlc Ssd get slow over time, before Vista brought answers. But to my experience, the measurable performance of Ssd has very little effect on boot time. Only mechanical disks were a serious brake. For instance, a perfectly optimized Raid-0 of two or four X25-E, which explodes the MB/s and the transactions/s, boots exactly as quickly as one X25-E does.